HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2009, 02:20 PM
Registered Broncos Fan!
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Sep 2007
687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by badaltitude
I say give them fragmentation grenades. They are safer than handguns and the deterrent potential is greater as well. They could buy pink ones and wear them as a bangle on a necklace or something.
LOL.
n00b-E is offline Find More Posts by n00b-E
Old Jul 30, 2009, 03:12 PM
Build/Fly/Crash/Repeat
United States, HI, Kapalua
Joined Jan 2002
1,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metieval
or pitch....
Hah. You obviously haven't seen or faced any Women's Fast Pitch softball pitchers.

Try hitting a 65 mph rising fastball from 40 ft. away or a ball that drops so much you may not even catch it, let alone hit it with a bat.

That doesn't even take into account what many 14-16 year old girls can do with a softball nowadays.
CoastalFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CoastalFlyer
Old Jul 31, 2009, 02:55 AM
central AZ
Joined May 2002
1,326 Posts
I didn't read ALL of the posts, but got the first two pages read.

That being said, I will agree that a majority of LEO's receive poor training. Many are uninterested in firearms, and thus don't pursue the matter any further. Others are, and so they seek out superior training from some of the many premier institutions within the states.

Regardless, most people would have a difficult time placing all their shots on target in a high stress situation. People who engage in these types of encounters repeatedly (soldiers, etc) can learn to overcome the "natural" response of fear and can learn to place great shots. Normal beat cops generally don't have the opportunity for that kind of experience unless they get extra training as mentioned above. Force on force is excellent stuff!

Whether or not the lady was dead before the GSW or not, I would still agree that this is an example of poor shot placement. I fully support the efforts that officers make to end such situations cleanly, and can sympathize that the stress levels here were probably very high, but as it's said, every bullet you fire has a prosecution attourney attached to it, just waiting to be let out. I'm not too sure how I'd react once there's an armed opponenet facing me, so I can't say. On the "square" range, I do pretty well, but add the element of "Oh crap, I could die right now," and the game changes, as others have noted.

I still would rather not have one of the regular officers taking a shot if I was being held hostage at gun point and being used as a human sheild. SWAT/SAU, maybe, but not a regular officer.
KnifeEdge51 is online now Find More Posts by KnifeEdge51
Old Jul 31, 2009, 04:49 AM
Suspended Account
Ohio
Joined Aug 2008
1,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalFlyer
Hah. You obviously haven't seen or faced any Women's Fast Pitch softball pitchers.

Try hitting a 65 mph rising fastball from 40 ft. away or a ball that drops so much you may not even catch it, let alone hit it with a bat.

That doesn't even take into account what many 14-16 year old girls can do with a softball nowadays.
While I agree with you for the most part... they are hittable, or every game would be 0-0.

Now quit trying to ruin the joke! I was referring to the pitching topic.

And I am pretty sure, that there are many women out there that could out shoot the 2 cops in the OP. and me, well it wouldn't be that hard to out shoot me, I've only fired a hand gun at one setting.
Metieval is offline Find More Posts by Metieval
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 31, 2009, 07:08 AM
St. Boondock
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
Don't blame the gun. I can shoot an easy qualification with my Glock 36, it has no sights. The range officer at our local range can do it with just about ANYONES mal-performing, problematic POS gun that people are having problems with. A great way to show off clear, rack and shoot drills. Wondernine, 1911 or a typical Beretta that won't run ......they all can qualify if the shooter is good.
FL Knifemaker is offline Find More Posts by FL Knifemaker
Old Jul 31, 2009, 10:09 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnifeEdge51
I didn't read ALL of the posts, but got the first two pages read.

That being said, I will agree that a majority of LEO's receive poor training. Many are uninterested in firearms, and thus don't pursue the matter any further. Others are, and so they seek out superior training from some of the many premier institutions within the states.

Regardless, most people would have a difficult time placing all their shots on target in a high stress situation. People who engage in these types of encounters repeatedly (soldiers, etc) can learn to overcome the "natural" response of fear and can learn to place great shots. Normal beat cops generally don't have the opportunity for that kind of experience unless they get extra training as mentioned above. Force on force is excellent stuff!

Whether or not the lady was dead before the GSW or not, I would still agree that this is an example of poor shot placement. I fully support the efforts that officers make to end such situations cleanly, and can sympathize that the stress levels here were probably very high, but as it's said, every bullet you fire has a prosecution attourney attached to it, just waiting to be let out. I'm not too sure how I'd react once there's an armed opponenet facing me, so I can't say. On the "square" range, I do pretty well, but add the element of "Oh crap, I could die right now," and the game changes, as others have noted.

I still would rather not have one of the regular officers taking a shot if I was being held hostage at gun point and being used as a human sheild. SWAT/SAU, maybe, but not a regular officer.
Or the Delta Force.
dll932 is online now Find More Posts by dll932
Old Aug 01, 2009, 09:06 AM
Let slip the dogs of war!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnifeEdge51
Many are uninterested in firearms, and thus don't pursue the matter any further.
That is very true, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a majority for most departments. The majority of LEO's that I know look at firearm requals like going to the dentist, a necessary disruption to their routine.
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer