HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 10, 2003, 06:30 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
These are a few of my favorite.... planes!

What a great day. 68 degrees, no wind. Got out of a meeting early and hoofed it home to fly a few planes! A took a few pics too. Please excuse the weeds, the grass is just starting to sprout. I have flown 6 planes including the 4 in the pic, and the day ain't over yet! Planes are:

Tiny X
010/4.4:1 planetary/ 9x6

Left
Double Trouble
010/4.43:1 GWS box/ clipped 9x7

Right
Wasp
010/3.2:1 GWS box/ 8x6

Bottom
Tiny
010/5.33:1 GWS box/ 10x8

All powered by Kokams.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2003, 06:32 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Another angle.

The other planes I've flown so far were my Mini IFO and 010 powered Rake.

Now excuse me while I go fly some more
Old Apr 10, 2003, 06:40 PM
MultipleCrashSurvivor
USA, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jan 2003
2,886 Posts
What kind of flight times are you getting on them with the Kokams? I would think at least 1/2 hour on each which means you're meeting got out really early. Well, at least you can fly in the day, I would have to wait til later in the evening or early morning for it to be calm enough. Pull up a chair and have fun.
drksyd is offline Find More Posts by drksyd
Old Apr 10, 2003, 06:42 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Nice shots!

I'm jealous of the fact that they all have motors in them at the same time

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Apr 10, 2003, 06:44 PM
central AZ
Joined May 2002
1,260 Posts
Tres, you must have a pretty cheap supplier of 010's and brushless speedcontrols! I'd like to pic one up, but they look to run about $120 or so with a speedcontrol!

Nick
KnifeEdge51 is online now Find More Posts by KnifeEdge51
Old Apr 10, 2003, 06:47 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Aug 2001
312 Posts
Beautiful Tres!

...all with 010's geesh I donít even have 1 yet.

Charles
CharlesD is offline Find More Posts by CharlesD
Old Apr 10, 2003, 06:47 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Re: These are a few of my favorite.... planes!

Quote:
Originally posted by Tres Wright
What a great day. 68 degrees, no wind. Got out of a meeting early and hoofed it home to fly a few planes! A took a few pics too. Please excuse the weeds, the grass is just starting to sprout. I have flown 6 planes including the 4 in the pic, and the day ain't over yet! Planes are:

Tiny X
010/4.4:1 planetary/ 9x6

Left
Double Trouble
010/4.43:1 GWS box/ clipped 9x7

Right
Wasp
010/3.2:1 GWS box/ 8x6

Bottom
Tiny
010/5.33:1 GWS box/ 10x8

All powered by Kokams.
Tres,
Gad you must have Astro Bob working overtime!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Apr 10, 2003, 06:54 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
==What kind of flight times are you getting on them with the Kokams? I would think at least 1/2 hour on each which means you're meeting got out really early.==

No, these are higher performance setups than your garden variety IPS powered floater. I use 450 HOs, 600 HOs, and 1020's on these planes, all 3 cell packs. It depends on what pack I'm flying and how hard I'm flying the plane, but I get between 12 and 15 minutes of solid aerobatics on the 450 and 600 packs, 15-20 on the 1020's. I was home at 3:15

==I'm jealous of the fact that they all have motors in them at the same time==

LOL! It's a major investment for sure, but barring any horrible crashes they should last me a loooong time!

==you must have a pretty cheap supplier of 010's and brushless speedcontrols!==

Unfortunately I pay the same as everyone else But I bought them over the course of many months, one at a time. Hey, if you guys think these motors are pricey, don't ever pick up motorcycles as a hobby R/C is CHEAP compared to bikes!
Old Apr 10, 2003, 07:03 PM
central AZ
Joined May 2002
1,260 Posts
Man, I must be genetically attracted to high-priced hobbies. Shooting, R/C, bikes, flying full-sized craft (not there yet, but I can just see the void it'll leave in my pocket when I do. $125 for a tank of gas!!! ). I guess in the longrun, though, they're all worth it.

Nick
Old Apr 10, 2003, 07:20 PM
Must cancel PayPal acct!
AZ
Joined Mar 2003
1,077 Posts
Nice planes Tres.

KnifeEdge51, I too am trying to shake the shooting hobby...whew! Talk about an expensive hobby, my AR gets hungry. At least with the RC planes there's not a lot of feeding to do.

Drivie
Drivie is offline Find More Posts by Drivie
Old Apr 10, 2003, 07:25 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Drivie
Nice planes Tres.

KnifeEdge51, I too am trying to shake the shooting hobby...whew! Talk about an expensive hobby, my AR gets hungry. At least with the RC planes there's not a lot of feeding to do.

Drivie
Shooting Hobby Expensive? Tell me about it! I just sold my entire collection last year including my full Auto Uzi and my Cobra "bullet hose"! Even the gun safe! All I have left is a pistol grip shotgun for home use!
boomer
Old Apr 10, 2003, 07:34 PM
central AZ
Joined May 2002
1,260 Posts
Boomer, you should have told me! I would have been interested in a few goodies, I'm sure.

I just need to get Dad to take out the 30.06 and sight it in. I haven't shot one of those in a while. Course, I did do some nice shotgun shooting a few weeks ago. 175 rounds in three hours! About 381 clays between 4 people doesn't last long!

What I need practice with most, though is the Beretta. Shoots a little low, but it's a hoot!

I would agree with Drivie, though. .40S&W is expensive, even for just Winchester White Box JHP's! And if I get an AR, that'll make matters worse! I'm thinking about a Remington 40XB instead though. So many choices, just like planes!

Back on topic, I still need to get some SoLite to try some fancy covering jobs. Tres, I envy your work, as well as Dreamers!

Nick
Old Apr 10, 2003, 07:40 PM
Must cancel PayPal acct!
AZ
Joined Mar 2003
1,077 Posts
KE,

Whatever you do...don't get an AR! Next thing you know, you'll be hanging out at AR15.com and buying mods for it like you wouldn't believe, then you'll think you need a preban and then one thing leads to another and you've spent $1500 on one rifle! I love my AR but it's insane what you end up spending on one. Also have a shotty and an HK USP but I'm lousy with a pistol and haven't fired the shotty yet.

On the subject of shotties. I can't see how you were able to shoot that many rounds without losing your arm! Last time I did that, I woke up the next day with a stiff arm and a beautifully large bruise!

Sorry for the off-topic chat,

Drivie
Drivie is offline Find More Posts by Drivie
Old Apr 10, 2003, 07:51 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Drivie
KE,

Whatever you do...don't get an AR! Next thing you know, you'll be hanging out at AR15.com and buying mods for it like you wouldn't believe, then you'll think you need a preban and then one thing leads to another and you've spent $1500 on one rifle! I love my AR but it's insane what you end up spending on one. Also have a shotty and an HK USP but I'm lousy with a pistol and haven't fired the shotty yet.

On the subject of shotties. I can't see how you were able to shoot that many rounds without losing your arm! Last time I did that, I woke up the next day with a stiff arm and a beautifully large bruise!

Sorry for the off-topic chat,

Drivie
Try Sighting in a handloaded .338 Winchester Mag!
boomer
Old Apr 10, 2003, 08:03 PM
Norfolk Intl, Virginia, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,787 Posts
Tres,

I'm glad to see that my three AF 010 setups are outnumbered by your four! They really are a great setup for sub-10 oz. parkflyers. The Hipolys move these parkflyers all into the sub-8 oz. and less range. It really has introduced a whole new breed and class of brushless backyard flyers.

Your planes are gorgeous. I had my Tinys out in the back again tonight and ran through 6 packs until it got dark and the kids got tired!

Thanks,

Ted
Ted U is offline Find More Posts by Ted U