HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2009, 05:07 PM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,560 Posts
a color that uses alot of metallic materials (like silver) will be your best for heat transfer. The solid colors will act as an insulator since they are a form of plastic and have poor heat transfer properties. Using a zinc rich primer like you would use while MIG welding would work good too since it is made up of mostly powdered zinc. For the best cooling I leave them bare, but then you have to worry about corrosion. Your call there.

Massey
Massey is offline Find More Posts by Massey
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2009, 05:33 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,269 Posts
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc...0/phy00156.htm

What color are car and truck radiators?
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jul 31, 2009, 05:44 PM
USA'd ex Brit
Back.. In California
Joined Aug 2006
5,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc...0/phy00156.htm

What color are car and truck radiators?
Black...

But that's heat transfer in to air, not in to water..
toesup is offline Find More Posts by toesup
Old Jul 31, 2009, 05:49 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,269 Posts
Don't think it matters. According to the scientists on the link I provided,

" darker colors are
better absorbers of light and thereby become better radiators of heat. "
Old Jul 31, 2009, 06:14 PM
no wings any more, just dust!
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Hendricks
Black is heat absorbant, white/silver is a radiant. I'd go for metallic silver like a chrome. Besides, you can claim you have "Chrome Pipes"...
BLING!!

Pimp my boat
Ghost 2501 is offline Find More Posts by Ghost 2501
Old Jul 31, 2009, 06:22 PM
3 Blades to the Wind
Atascadero, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
4,085 Posts
Well, them darned rocket scientists made the space shuttles heat radiators polished silver to reflect any incident sunlight and to radiate as much heat as possible. While not totally the same principle (since there's nearly no air at the altitude the shuttle runs) it does touch on a thermodynamic concept that applies to a tug and not a car or truck.

Also chrome is the 'color' of it's surroundings so in darker water it will radiate the heat into the water and reflect any attempt at the water trying to reflect the heat back into the radiator. This is why I suggested light colors.

A car/truck radiator uses a more transient fluid stream (air) and thus it does not linger long enough to radiate any heat back into the radiator (the fan or motion moves it past a vertical surface). In that case, black would work better because it is absorbing as much "coolness" as possible. Heat is relative to given temperature.

A tug could be sitting in it's own hot water for a given time if the propulsion isn't running (and it's a long horizontal surface so you'd have to have decent movement to clear the fluid from the surface) and thus you'd not want to get any heated water back into the system. So I still espouse a chrome/metallic polished coloring. You'd have to test each idea to see which actually works the best.

I do understand the black concept though. You are 'absorbing' the coolness of the water, but in an odd way it might not work as well being paint...
Shaun Hendricks is offline Find More Posts by Shaun Hendricks
Last edited by Shaun Hendricks; Jul 31, 2009 at 06:28 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 06:31 PM
no wings any more, just dust!
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
they look to be the same color as the surrounding hull on both pics, I presume they're covered in antifoul.
Ghost 2501 is offline Find More Posts by Ghost 2501
Old Jul 31, 2009, 08:48 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,269 Posts
What color would heat exchangers be on a submersible at 3000' depth where there is no visible light?
Old Jul 31, 2009, 09:13 PM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,629 Posts
I think that they should be same as anti fouling colour, heat transfer is by conduction not radiation so unless the paint is insulating the pipes it wont make much difference. It wont matter what colour the paint is,
the second law states of thermodynamics states simply "energy systems have a tendency to increase their entropy rather than decrease it." This can also be stated as "heat can spontaneously flow from a higher-temperature region to a lower-temperature region, but not the other way around."
so heat reabsorbtion is impossible unless the "hot side" becomes cooler than the surrounding water
Nick
nick_75au is offline Find More Posts by nick_75au
Last edited by nick_75au; Jul 31, 2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 11:39 PM
Bucharest, RO
Joined May 2009
1,990 Posts
To add a bit to what Nick was saying: because we are talking radiation, there is no comparison with the full scale boats, as the surface in contact with the water is far greater. If you get to high temps, your radiator will create a local microflow that will draw cooler water from beneath...
CornelP is offline Find More Posts by CornelP
Old Aug 01, 2009, 12:46 AM
Crazy Canuck...in Dallas
Mckinney
Joined May 2009
88 Posts
colour doesn't matter in liquid

it's the contact with the coolant/surface area, etc...

i vote to paint it bottom colour, silver or black only apply to air cooling(i'm a volkswagen nut(re: air-cooled car)the factory painted everything black, but that's for air cooling....

you're building a liquid to liquid cooler, liquids, like water, have a much higher coefecient(?) of heat(meaning they can absorb alot of heat)than air, they can be more efficient, but this means it the more "tubes" you have, the more surface/contact area you have, the more heat transfer.
the colour of the paint will have no influence on the performance....in fact, the less coating may be best, with the lack of "insulating" paint.
jdcanadian is offline Find More Posts by jdcanadian
Last edited by jdcanadian; Aug 01, 2009 at 12:49 AM. Reason: b'cause
Old Aug 01, 2009, 06:19 AM
United States, ME, Bar Harbor
Joined Sep 2005
439 Posts
I f they were on areal boat they would be painted antifoul. The pipes would otherwise soon be covered with growth, especially mussels, which would insulate them, reducing their efficiency.
Jonatahn
jeno is offline Find More Posts by jeno
Old Aug 01, 2009, 11:16 AM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,583 Posts
kmot,

you don't need heat exchangers at 3000', it is so cold that it is like being in a refrigerator.

Alvin crewmembers that regularly dive in the bahamas wear sweaters, sweatpants, and wool socks.
tsenecal is online now Find More Posts by tsenecal
Old Aug 01, 2009, 11:21 AM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,269 Posts
Personally, I would polish the crap outta it and make it a nice shiny piece of BLING on the underside of the boat. Would be a shame to cover up all that work.
Old Aug 01, 2009, 12:17 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,574 Posts
Consider this:

Some of the ponds I run my boat in, the summer time temp of the water is considerably hotter at the surface. It would almost seem counter productive to water cool the electronics with hot water. If you are generating that much heat then you need to get a bigger ESC or a more efficient motor.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat