Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 28, 2009, 04:58 AM
Joined Jul 2009
6 Posts
Discussion
The best R/C indoor chopper for a beginner?

Hi:
I tried to read as much possible about the R/C choppers. What i learned is that the best choices are co-axial R/C choppers like co-comanchi or E_Sky Lama V4 but I have a question. I live an apartment and I wonder these are suitable for a small area like an apartment or not. Is there any other option which costs less than 100$? I know as a novice I may break my first heli so I prefer to spend less on the first one. I heard somewhere that there are two helies named SL30 and SL32 (I really couldn't find the manufacturer) and another one named SYMA S006 (looks very cool) which are coaxial too and much cheaper. Is it true? Is SYMA S006 a suitable one for a novice?
Please help me start this hobby.
Benign
Benign is offline Find More Posts by Benign
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2009, 05:04 AM
trex 500esp msh protos
south west uk
Joined Apr 2008
1,391 Posts
for indoors with limited space have a look at the blade mcx
henryd123 is offline Find More Posts by henryd123
Old Jul 28, 2009, 05:08 AM
Japan
Joined Jun 2008
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryd123
Or walkera lama 2.

But definately not a Esky Lama 4. Too big for appartement. It's for meeting/waiting room sized place, minimum.
G_de_Coligny is offline Find More Posts by G_de_Coligny
Old Jul 28, 2009, 05:33 AM
Joined Jul 2009
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryd123
What about Syma S006? Any idea about it?
Thanks
Benign
Old Jul 28, 2009, 06:22 AM
trex 500esp msh protos
south west uk
Joined Apr 2008
1,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benign
What about Syma S006? Any idea about it?
Thanks
Benign
that one is 3 channel,if you can I would go for a four channel
henryd123 is offline Find More Posts by henryd123
Old Jul 28, 2009, 08:02 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,341 Posts
Helimax Axe CX is probably the best flying coax and is smaller than most others. But it is fragile and requires a little work to remediate. Syma helis are all 3 channel toys; they won't teach you much except bad habits, because the channel assigments are wrong. They are also the same size as the Lama V4.

Stick to EFlite or ESky brand coaxes. They are much easier to get parts for.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; Jul 28, 2009 at 08:10 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 08:06 AM
Still a n00b.
Winnipeg, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
1,624 Posts
+1 on the Blade mCX. Small (28 grams), exceptionally stable, easily controllable, and durable.

For an indoor-only "fly around the living room" helicopter, you can't go wrong.

grnbrg.
grnbrg is offline Find More Posts by grnbrg
Old Jul 28, 2009, 01:09 PM
Joined Jul 2009
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14
Helimax Axe CX is probably the best flying coax and is smaller than most others. But it is fragile and requires a little work to remediate. Syma helis are all 3 channel toys; they won't teach you much except bad habits, because the channel assigments are wrong. They are also the same size as the Lama V4.

Stick to EFlite or ESky brand coaxes. They are much easier to get parts for.
Thanks. I will stick to them. I think finding ESky products is easier in my area. Saw some resellers somewhere close.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 01:16 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,341 Posts
Walkeras small palm sized coaxes (5G6-1 and Lama 2-1) are good for a small area. My experience with these helis has not been good. They have had poor electronics and motors that last only an hour or two. Parts may be an issue. I think they fly much better than an MCX, but it's hard to recommend them. Just trying to give you options.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 01:20 PM
Joined Jul 2009
6 Posts
Quote:
Walkeras small palm sized coaxes (5G6-1 and Lama 2-1) are good for a small area. My experience with these helis has not been good. They have had poor electronics and motors that last only an hour or two. Parts may be an issue. I think they fly much better than an MCX, but it's hard to recommend them. Just trying to give you options.
It means that Lama 2 motor will break and becomes useless after 1-2hrs (it means after 10 times using it)???
Thanks
Old Jul 28, 2009, 02:15 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,341 Posts
Quote:
It means that Lama 2 motor will break and becomes useless after 1-2hrs (it means after 10 times using it)???
Thanks
3.7 volt motors use a hot winding and copper fingers for brushes that lose tension with exposure to heat.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:21 PM
Joined Jul 2009
6 Posts
Quote:
3.7 volt motors use a hot winding and copper fingers for brushes that lose tension with exposure to heat.
WOw. So it means changing the motor? I wish they had better cooling system Is it easy to change the motor?
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:44 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,374 Posts
Quote:
Or walkera lama 2. But definately not a Esky Lama 4.
Sorry to be contrary, but I'd say the exact opposite. Esky Lama 4 but definitely not Walkera Lama 2.

Lama 4 will fly for months without repair other than blades. I'm a shxt pilot and mine still runs since February. Lama TWO will not run a WEEK without requiring internal repair.

Lama 4 is also not beyond apartment size. I live in one. My open airspace is 11x7. Again, I'm a shxt pilot, and I don't have any trouble at all flying Lama 4 except that 11x7 is annoyingly confining. I fly HBFP, 10" larger and much less stable, in the same space.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:50 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,341 Posts
Quote:
WOw. So it means changing the motor? I wish they had better cooling system Is it easy to change the motor?
Two motors, remember it's a coax. They are not real hard to change, except for the tiny screws. It gets real annoying buying new motors every few weeks. This is a bigger problem on the 5G6. I don't know if it's been addressed at all with the 5G6-1. I think the Lama 2 uses a different motor that may last longer, but it had receiver problems that may or may not be corrected. Nice size helis for indoors, but very difficult to recommend. Odds of getting one that's problem free for very long is low.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 01:09 AM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
Joined Nov 2003
1,483 Posts
In a small space I also vote for the mCX or the mCX S300. I have two of those and two Esky Lama V3s. The Eskys are only good for hovering inside. The mCX can fly from room to room and through small spaces. It is way more fun than the Esky size copters for indoors.
Steve
sleb is offline Find More Posts by sleb