HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by kobkobico, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 09:42 PM
Lucid Dreamer
USA, CA, Temecula
Joined Jul 2005
646 Posts
Discussion
Air Hogs Cyclone

I just had to say I picked a Havoc Cyclone yesterday for $10, and it was great. So great, that today I had to bike over and get another for my brother.

These are tons of fun. They require some manual trimming to get them to fly just right (mostly to offset the relatively large torque), but when they are trimmed you can fly them just about anywhere. My brother's is the more powerful one of the two: his can go into vertical climbs very easily. Mine is a little weaker, and prefers to just cruise around, but definitely has enough power. There is about 6-7 minutes quality flight time before it becomes difficult to stay up.

I love how they are easy to fly, but take some time to master how to combine throttle with turning. Namely, high throttle for right turns, low for left (the torque makes this the optimal way to turn). Two in the air is also fun, and we've had a few mid air collisions already. Good for dogfights, but I don't want to risk getting chopped up in an enemy prop!

Durability is impressive. I've had dozens upon dozens of crashes into the wall, but the light weight keeps it from hurting itself. I have only a few very minor dents on the leading edge.

In short, this is an awesome product, especially given the money I spent.

I took a few short clips of it flying around the house as proof that it really does fly nice.

Air Hogs Cyclone Flying (2 min 38 sec)
kobkobico is offline Find More Posts by kobkobico
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2009, 10:12 PM
Calif*
Joined Sep 2006
2,110 Posts
Someone needs to find out how much those can lift going vertical.
Jack Crossfire is offline Find More Posts by Jack Crossfire
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2009, 11:51 PM
Lucid Dreamer
USA, CA, Temecula
Joined Jul 2005
646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Crossfire
Someone needs to find out how much those can lift going vertical.
Could be fun testing, taping coins near the back. I doubt it can lift much, as the entire thing weighs 11 grams and does not vertical very quickly. With a penny on the nose, they do fly more airplane like, but cannot turn very sharply.

By the way, I think the stuff you do is pretty amazing.
kobkobico is offline Find More Posts by kobkobico