HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 27, 2009, 08:48 AM
Arlington, VA
Joined Dec 2004
142 Posts
Discussion
NVRC now on RCGroups

Thanks to RCGroups for providing a forum for the Northern Virginia Radio Control club (www.1nvrc.org). Here we can post club related information, notification of events, build threads, videos, and any other information we would like to share with the rc community. If you are not a RCgroups member yet, sign up and begin posting.

NVRC is one of the largest radio control clubs in Virginia with over 100 members and two flying fields, one located within Ticonderoga Tree Farm in Chantilly and one at Poplar Ford Park in Fairfax. The club includes pilots in all areas of radio-controlled flight: sport, giant scale, electric, sail, aerobatics, combat, and rotor. NVRC has members with decades of expertise to share in many types of flying and building, whether youíre a first-time learner or someone looking for advanced techniques. There are volunteer instructors to provide assistance Ė donít be timid, ask for help. Membership provides access to a wealth of information that includes a new pilot guidebook, a safety code, and flying site rules that are important to every pilot from beginners to experts. In addition, all flight instruction is free to members!

For more information about NVRC, please visit our website at www.1nvrc.org. There you will find contact information, flying field locations and operating times, a discussion forum, and instructions on how you can receive flight training.

Let the discussions begin!
Steve Insalaco
insalacosm is offline Find More Posts by insalacosm
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2009, 08:05 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,924 Posts
Activity at Poplar Ford Park

Steve, thanks to you and RC Groups for setting up this forum. The new field at Poplar Ford Park is great. I will be bringing out my electric H9 Sopwith Camel (60 size) with a digital sound system. It is great to fly at this field.

I also look forward to practicing my pattern aerobatics at this field using an electric Kyosho Oxalys 50EP.

Happy Landings!
tclaridge is online now Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old Apr 12, 2011, 04:23 PM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Mar 2011
339 Posts
What's going on now?

I know this is an old thread, but I live in northern Virginia, am new to RC heli flying, and would like to know if any events are planned in this area soon.
Please reply if you know of any.
Virginia Jim is offline Find More Posts by Virginia Jim
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:16 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,924 Posts
Jim,
Sorry the reply has taken awhile. We keep our club site current with upcoming events. There is something happening every month. Also, the flying site has had some good improvements, and the grass is in good shape.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 11:22 AM
Joined Mar 2011
339 Posts
Whoa! I didn't expect a reply to my message.

Actually since my previous post, I have been checking out the fields and clubs in this area. I have been to several NVRC meetings and am impressed with your emphasis on education and sharing information about anything having to do with RC.

Though I have not yet flown there, I have been to your field (Poplar Field Park) several times.

Keep up the good work.

VJ
Old Oct 25, 2011, 08:15 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,924 Posts
Jim, you should get a plane and come out and fly it. We have some good instructors that will help you start. I will even meet you at Hobby Hangar if you would like some guidance on a good first plane to make you successful.

Do you want to try gas or electric?
Old Oct 27, 2011, 08:04 PM
Joined Mar 2011
339 Posts
Can I call you TC?

Since I'm retired, on a fixed income, and with slow reflexes, I've decided electrics (relatively small) are my best bets.

Having had a bad experience with a Bellanca Decathlon that has defied me correcting (or definitively diagnosing) the problem, I've switched to a Sky Surfer pusher sailplane. With it I can (and have) had numerous one point, nose "landings" without significant damage. This plane has survived several days in the trees, and has a tire print on one wing to prove its stamina, endurance, and it keeps coming back for more.

Though I had some problems with uncontrolability (after being test flown by instructors) that resulted in crashes, I have concluded this was due to wings coming apart before the crash due to some dramatic "testing" of the craft by instructors, or unplanned "aerobatics" by me when I lost control several times.

This has been remedied by installing a spring mounted cabinet latch between the wing halves. Now I can barely pull the wings apart, and I anticipate much more consistent flying.

I have purchased several other planes in anticipation of winter, when I will have to pursue this hobby indoors by assembling them and outfitting them with my tinkering.

Though I'm always interested in flying with willing instructors, I have not yet joined NVRC. Do you think the instructors would still be willing to mentor me?

Thanks for your interest in me and for your friendly invitation.

VJ
Old Oct 29, 2011, 08:33 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,924 Posts
VJ,
Send me a PM. I will give you my number and we can talk about learning RC. We can set a time to come to the field as a guest. I highly recommend getting an AMA membership to start. That will get into our events and allow you to fly at Poplar Ford. Then if you like, you can join NVRC.

We are also trying to get an indoor facility for the winter, and the little Champ is great to learn on.

TC
Old Jan 18, 2012, 08:32 PM
Sponsored by U.S Border Patrol
Woodbridge, VA
Joined Jan 2010
6,567 Posts
Hey Tony. I just ran into this site.
garyav16 is offline Find More Posts by garyav16
Old Jan 18, 2012, 08:46 PM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
Joined Oct 2009
5,566 Posts
Subscribed!
SalamSyed is offline Find More Posts by SalamSyed
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:22 PM
amo ludibria ventis
United States, VA, Chantilly
Joined Oct 2010
7,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamSyed View Post
Subscribed!
Me too!
PontiusPilate is online now Find More Posts by PontiusPilate
Old Jan 19, 2012, 05:22 AM
Sponsored by U.S Border Patrol
Woodbridge, VA
Joined Jan 2010
6,567 Posts
I'm not sure how active it is. I've been a memeber for 2 years and knew nothing about it.
garyav16 is offline Find More Posts by garyav16
Old Jan 21, 2012, 07:24 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,924 Posts
I have been subscribed for awhile. It is good to have this here, and then I like to direct folks to our club site.

But I love RCGroups, and it has been my major source of RC info, and has saved me lots of money on fixes, and what's hot, and what's not!