HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 27, 2009, 12:02 AM
Boom goes the dynamite!
Palo Alto, CA
Joined Dec 2003
502 Posts
Discussion
Great F5B day in sunny San Diego

Lenny, Chuck, Eric, Jeff, and both Steve's were there. Excellent flying from the four pilots. And great support from Chuck and Steve manning the bases. Was also nice to meet Richard (la529it) who shot some video.

After a few rough starts, I posted a 40 legger with 3 seconds to spare. Need to practice my 6 leggers. This was on a "light" 6s 15x16 prop setup that only used 3800 watts and 1250 watt minutes for the whole flight! Steve didn't believe me that it was well under 1750...
verticalflight is offline Find More Posts by verticalflight
Last edited by verticalflight; Jul 27, 2009 at 08:43 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2009, 01:20 AM
smokin electrons...
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,260 Posts
Looking forward to the video if they post. What did you use to obtain these inflight info? Unilog?
skyzking is offline Find More Posts by skyzking
Old Jul 27, 2009, 08:22 AM
Boom goes the dynamite!
Palo Alto, CA
Joined Dec 2003
502 Posts
Yeah this is the unilog data and software...
Old Jul 27, 2009, 12:29 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2004
3,087 Posts
Kris,

Congrats and well done on your "first" race day! ;-)

Awesome to see a 40 on the first day out!!

I too look forward to seeing Rich's video. His camera looked really nice.

I have an extra gas box and the circuit board (guts.display) for the main box if you want to play with a soldiering iron and put a practice course together. ;-)

Ciao,

Eric
epwierman is offline Find More Posts by epwierman
Old Jul 27, 2009, 01:28 PM
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2007
2,168 Posts
Guys I don't have time or cpu-time to compile the video. I will send Chris raw footage that he can compile and view, but putting something together for vimeo is out of the questions

If you know of one of these mini-outsourcing firms on the other side of the planet that would do this for me at low cost, please let me know as I am happy to pay for such a service, I just can't afford my rates at the moment

Until they install a Cray in my Kitchen... next time will shoot in non-hd, WAY easier to deal with
la528it is offline Find More Posts by la528it
Old Jul 27, 2009, 02:35 PM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,009 Posts
I might have a way to edit video if you give me a disk with the files. Editing in HD requires special software (no more Windows Movie Maker). I can convert HD at work since I do all of our in-house video work. It is a RAM and video card intensive task...
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2009, 02:55 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 1999
7,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy
I might have a way to edit video if you give me a disk with the files. Editing in HD requires special software (no more Windows Movie Maker). I can convert HD at work since I do all of our in-house video work. It is a RAM and video card intensive task...
Imovie HD??

Steve
sneu is offline Find More Posts by sneu
Old Jul 27, 2009, 03:24 PM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Verenigd Koninkrijk, Fareham
Joined Aug 2008
7,125 Posts
Nice going Kris, looks like there are a few 18-19 second sets in there next to pritty consistant 20 second sets (nothing slower) and considering the used energy and the plane you are flying i would say you ROCK!!!

What did everyone else do?

Joe
jjmouris is online now Find More Posts by jjmouris
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My F5B saw tooth props
Old Jul 27, 2009, 05:41 PM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneu
Imovie HD??

Steve
I have Pinnacle Studio Ultimate. It will do all of the new AVCHD, DV, HDV, AVI, MPEG-1, -2, -4, etc. and then write to a DVD format (or simple .wmv). I have not played with Imovie. I had issues with a newly released Cannon HD camcorder. Great camera, great HD video, and nobody supported the format but a couple of software companies.
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2009, 08:00 PM
Boom goes the dynamite!
Palo Alto, CA
Joined Dec 2003
502 Posts
Thanks Eric for the help yesterday. It definitely helps to have an experienced pilot coaching you through the process

Joe thanks! I'll leave it to those that flew to post their leg scores; safe to say they fly fast. FYI Sarah, Eric's girl, was measuring the wind at 6-8 mph blowing directly from Base A to B but to me it felt higher. Usually I heat my battery packs with an electric heater (no more corn) but laying the batteries on the ground in San Diego warmed them to 105-110 degrees!

BTW the best joke of the day was when I flew 36.9 (literally 2 feet from the base when the timer ran out) and said "can we just call that an Internet 37" and Lenny said "in Internet scores that's a 42"........
Last edited by verticalflight; Jul 27, 2009 at 09:37 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 04:29 PM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Verenigd Koninkrijk, Fareham
Joined Aug 2008
7,125 Posts
Ha ha, internet scores. I think we best stick to reality.

You did a 40 with potential for more on your first real event. That is impressive!

jjmouris is online now Find More Posts by jjmouris
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My F5B saw tooth props
Old Jul 29, 2009, 12:51 PM
Greeley, Colorado, USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,815 Posts
Another fun F5B practice! Nice to meet Kris and Richard too -- glad you could make it.
Kris flew very well for his first time on a course. I think he'll be back for more fun!

Lenny
Lenny970 is offline Find More Posts by Lenny970
Old Jul 30, 2009, 11:10 AM
Joined Aug 2004
3,087 Posts
Yep Lenny, I think he'll be back - in fact, that poor bastard's pretty much ruined from what I can tell; no more time for his wife's "honey-do's" (he's now busy in the garage buillding a plane), no more airline rewards points for family vacations (those points are now "allocated" to SD weekends), no more 3D foamies (they are just collecting dust now as he contemplates selling all those in a massive fire sale - gotta get that new PHX180, gotta get that Neu 15XXXX), and that "family laptop" that used to be on the kitchen table? - well, it's new home is in the garage (next to his new 250 watt soldiering iron), and the pc is permanently connected to the neumotor calculator as he continues his quest for undiscovered efficiency and speed. Oh well, another "casualty" of our sport......

Old Jul 30, 2009, 11:19 AM
Joined Aug 2004
3,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy
Richard,

If a notorious video editor such as this guy , makes an incredible offer like that , you should jump all over it!

Desert Speed Flying- RC Revver Brotherhood (5 min 39 sec)

Can you say Yackety Sax three times fast?

Eric
Last edited by epwierman; Jul 30, 2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 01:30 PM
Joined Aug 2004
3,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalflight
This was on a "light" 6s 15x16 prop setup that only used 3800 watts and 1250 watt minutes for the whole flight! Steve didn't believe me that it was well under 1750...

Well who could blame him? He was suffering disorium (like the rest of us) from temporary hearing loss.