SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 26, 2009, 03:58 PM
United States, TX, Palacios
Joined Feb 2009
1,602 Posts
Discussion
3DHS 51" AJ Slick vs. EF 48"Extra 300 EXP...

I am looking into getting myself a new Electric 3D plane and have pretty much narrowed it down to these two. 3DHS 51" AJ Slick or the new 48" Extreme Flight Extra 300 EXP...What are the pros and cons of both planes???

I should also mention that I am totally new to electrics and want to get one for when my big gassers are down (like now...) or when I feel like taking a plane to work and getting a flight or two in while at lunch. Any help on what setups are best and if there are any all inclusive packages or combos would help tremendously also...

Thanks,

Zed
SportFlyer2 is offline Find More Posts by SportFlyer2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2009, 04:22 PM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Jan 2007
6,798 Posts
Both planes are great....the AJ is in stock and the EXP isnt...based on that I would go with the Slick. Plus I think youll find that even though its a 51" plane it flies much bigger.

Set ups can be found on the first page of the 51" AJ Slick thread. I have the Torque setup and it great.

Also the Slick fits in the trunk of my Camry with the wings on
GoldCraft is online now Find More Posts by GoldCraft
Last edited by GoldCraft; Jul 31, 2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 05:57 PM
Like a boss!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Sep 2007
1,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportFlyer2
I am looking into getting myself a new Electric 3D plane and have pretty much narrowed it down to these two. 3DHS 51" AJ Slick or the new 48" Extreme Flight Extra 300 EXP...What are the pros and cons of both planes???

I should also mention that I am totally new to electrics and want to get one for when my big gassers are down (like now...) or when I feel like taking a plane to work and getting a flight or two in while at lunch. Any help on what setups are best and if there are any all inclusive packages or combos would help tremendously also...

Thanks,

Zed
Didn't know the EXP was out of stock - those went fast! I haven't flown the EXP but I have flown the Slick which I really liked. I've watched lots of videos of both airplanes and feel like they have disctintively different personalities and are both excellent examples of what they both represent. I'd watch some vid's and see if one of them might fit your flying style more than the other - I very much doubt that you'll end up disappointed with either.

Ryan
AllBread is offline Find More Posts by AllBread
Old Jul 31, 2009, 07:00 PM
Joined Feb 2009
1,602 Posts
I've watched the vids for months and as long as the EXP has been in development. I was leaning towards the Slick since it is bigger but I like the scheme of the blue EXP and in one vid Chris even slams it into the ground and it seemed unfazed. That almost sold me right there...LOL!!! But I've watched some vids of the Slick taking a beating also so it's a toss-up...

OK someone list all need to complete it and prices and I'll see witch one is the cheapest...LOL!!!
Old Jul 31, 2009, 07:15 PM
Joined Jan 2007
6,798 Posts
Well no dought the all up for the EXP will be cheaper ....it uses smaller motor /esc / servos and it the base price is $40 less. Batteries are the same.

All up for the EXP will be about $100 less I suppose.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 07:16 PM
Central Texas
Joined Jun 2008
4,147 Posts
I have them and both are great planes! Both have no rock harriers with the Slick easier to hover,the EXP tracks better. Really they are both great at every thing but with different personalities. They are both must have planes!! I say get the Slick now just because it's in stock then when the EXP is back in stock get it
ambientech is online now Find More Posts by ambientech
Old Jul 31, 2009, 08:31 PM
JUNK RADIO
USA, NY, Queens
Joined Dec 2006
3,136 Posts
shitttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt that is hard! to judge I don't have the EF Extra but the Slick.

fred
Flazo is offline Find More Posts by Flazo
Old Jul 31, 2009, 09:00 PM
Joined Sep 2003
53 Posts
I have both and the Slick is my favorite for WILD 3D.
It tumbles and does very violent moves MUCH better than the EF
The EF, on the other hand is more stable and flies more like a big gas plane. Walls are not as crisp on the EF but knife edge is amazing even without the SFGs. The Slick is good for a KN loop but the EF makes it really easy.

Another thing is the visibility. With the EF, its hard to tell which way you are going after a wild spin due to the colors. I have the blue one.
With the yellow slick, you can pick up orientation much easier even through wild tumbles. Maybe this wouldn't be a factor for better pilots but is made a big difference for me.

I expect to put the EF in the ground due to loss of orientation. Maybe if I pulled out earlier :-)

... Rob
Voyager is offline Find More Posts by Voyager
Old Jul 31, 2009, 09:02 PM
JUNK RADIO
USA, NY, Queens
Joined Dec 2006
3,136 Posts
Great reviews...but the colors on both EF Kick Arse!

fred
Flazo is offline Find More Posts by Flazo
Old Jul 31, 2009, 09:04 PM
Joined Sep 2003
53 Posts
I expected the EF colors to really stand out but I don't find that to be the case. My field has a lot of back light so maybe that is part of the problem but when the plane is doing a KE spin, it's really hard to tell where it is. (compared to the yellow Slick)
Voyager is offline Find More Posts by Voyager
Old Jul 31, 2009, 09:50 PM
Central Texas
Joined Jun 2008
4,147 Posts
My red EXP is just as easy to see as my yellow Slick.

Voyager I totally agree the Slick is just sick at wild 3d and the EXP feels like a highly refined race car. Both are great that is why everyone needs both
ambientech is online now Find More Posts by ambientech
Old Jul 31, 2009, 09:58 PM
Joined Jan 2007
6,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chribrian
My red EXP is just as easy to see as my yellow Slick.

Voyager I totally agree the Slick is just sick at wild 3d and the EXP feels like a highly refined race car. Both are great that is why everyone needs both

Very true...but the one thing they both do well is....very stable in harrier which to me is high priority.
Old Aug 01, 2009, 12:16 PM
Long live the SHP!
CA
Joined Mar 2003
2,487 Posts
I have both and like both, both have their strengths. I think hovering and harrier is better with the Slick, where tumbles and high speed manuevers go to the EXP. The EXP has better slow and high speed tracking, but the Slick is floatier and is more stable in high alpha manuevers.
thomer is offline Find More Posts by thomer
Old Aug 02, 2009, 12:29 AM
Joined Feb 2009
1,602 Posts
Well I got a surprise today when I got to the field...I mentioned that I wanted to get an electric model to a flying buddy and he said to follow him back home. He said he had a little Yak that he got at a swap meet and wanted me to see and when I got to his shop he had a EF Yak 54-E with Torque 2814/820 that he wanted $200 for. I didn't know much about it and neither did he and he offered me to take it home and get it going and to play around with it. After looking at it i noticed that it had a small repair job done to one of the firewalls so he said to give $100 for it and to take it and the motor with the servos installed in it (HS-65HB's). I said OK and later looked it up. I feel bad that I got it for so cheap that I'll give him $150 for it and now all I need is a battery and ESC and I'm up flying...
Last edited by SportFlyer2; Aug 02, 2009 at 12:34 AM.
Old Aug 02, 2009, 12:51 AM
Long live the SHP!
CA
Joined Mar 2003
2,487 Posts
Sport,

Don't feel bad about the deal you got, EF blew those out a while ago for $100. Figure $100 for the airframe, $80 for the servos, and $80 for the motor, you're looking at $260 for everything new and your buddy is only loosing around $90 if you give him $150, which is a good deal.

Just as an FYI, the EF Yak is a challenge to 3D. It's a great pattern and sport plane, but it's a handful for 3D flying as it has a lot of wing rock and has a real tendency to tip stall. If you want something that is much easier to 3D, I would really recommend a Slick or EXP.

If you do decide to get it, hope you enjoy it!
thomer is offline Find More Posts by thomer