HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 25, 2009, 01:21 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
Discussion
What's the difference between an esc with bec and one without?

I was wondering what the difference was and if I use a non bec esc what will I need in order to make it work?
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2009, 01:26 PM
Dickinson, Tx.
Joined Sep 2004
5,373 Posts
One has an onboard BEC in either "linear" or "switcher" fashion. The ones with out a BEC are geared more towards higher voltage setups, 4S and above voltages.

If your doen't have a BEC, you will either need to use a Rx battery or an add on BEC...

Challenger413
Challenger 413 is online now Find More Posts by Challenger 413
Old Jul 25, 2009, 01:34 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
Ah ok.....Thanx. I found a 60 amp BP esc for like fifteen dollars shipped but it comes without a bec. I guess I'll either sell it or go shopping for a bec then.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 02:07 PM
Dickinson, Tx.
Joined Sep 2004
5,373 Posts
What size plane, what size servos, what size pack (voltage) are you planning on using?

The ESC's that have on board "linear BEC" are OK when used with 3S pack voltages and am using (4) small 8 to 9 gram servos and you have the ESC set up with great cooling airflow over both sides of the ESC. If you are using larger servos or the ESC is going to be mounted where it is getting little or some cooling, do yourself a favor and install an add on BEC.

If the onboard BEC trips off due to high heat, you will lose all servo control for at least 2 to 5 seconds, until it cools down and resets. Could lead to a bad crash...

Challenger413
Challenger 413 is online now Find More Posts by Challenger 413
Old Jul 25, 2009, 02:20 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
There aren't any problems with cooling as the plane is an open framework model I designed for aerial photography. I'm also only using three servos, one each for rudder and elevator and one to trip the shutter on the camera. I'm also using an Esky gyro for rudder dampening. I'm using standard size servos on this rig too. I recently upgraded to a larger motor and wanted an esc that was more than up to the task and found a BP MKII 60 amp esc on ebay for fifteen bucks shipped. The bec I found was only six dollars shipped so I'm good to go now.
Thanx for enlightening me on what a non bec esc actually is. I figured there was something else I'd have to buy. Lift isn't an issue cause this thing will lift a brick I've also got some 4000ma 3s lipos coming so now I just gotta wait for Mr postman to bring the goodies