HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2009, 03:48 PM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
United States, FL, Sebastian
Joined May 2005
1,465 Posts
Cool
Create PDF's from your Google Sketchup plans video tutorial

I wanted to show you guys how to create PDF's from plans you can create from Google's awesome free program Sketchup.
I used the information from Dave Reaps thread here.
I also want to say thanks to Bill Segraves for his recommedation making it so the lines line up without any space in between.
So lets start seeing some awesome models guys!

Update I forgot to mention one thing in the video. You need to be in parallel projection mode for it to work properly.
3DMON'S Shetchup to PDF Tutorial (12 min 53 sec)
3DMON is offline Find More Posts by 3DMON
Last edited by 3DMON; Nov 29, 2009 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention parallel projection mode
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2009, 04:19 PM
7up
,ɯǝ ʇoƃ ɐʎ ɟı ,ɯǝ ǝʞoɯs
USA, KY, West Liberty
Joined Jun 2001
1,154 Posts
Cool

Great job 3D! Good plug too.
7up is offline Find More Posts by 7up
Old Jul 24, 2009, 04:44 PM
New Hampshire-seacoast area
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
Nice!

any site suggestions that can lower the learning curve for using sketch up??

I downloaded it last nite and have been looking it over(sketch up that is) trying to see if it's too diffucult for anold geezer to use!

paul
praymond is offline Find More Posts by praymond
Old Jul 24, 2009, 05:04 PM
"plane don't hurt"
Mountain Home Village, CA
Joined Aug 2005
445 Posts
Thanks.. i could not figure out how to get it to print with cutepdf with margins.. the custom size setting fixes that.
eruji is offline Find More Posts by eruji
Old Jul 24, 2009, 07:43 PM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
Joined May 2005
1,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by praymond
Nice!

I downloaded it last nite and have been looking it over(sketch up that is) trying to see if it's too diffucult for anold geezer to use!

paul
Over at the Phlatforum we have a lot of info on how to use Sketchup. A lot of it is focused on using it for the Phlatprinter, but there is no reason the same info can't be used for non-Phlatprinter owners.

There is a slight learning curve, but if you watch some of the Sketchup videos we have over there, you will find it can be fairly easy.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 08:15 PM
I need a bigger garage...
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2005
1,296 Posts
Great job on the video 3DMON. One note I would make is on the actual printing. In Adobe Reader, make sure on the print dialog that Page Scaling is set to None and you will get the correct size printout. I found that mine was set to Fit To Printable Area, which scales the printout down a little bit.

My CAD program (DevCad), when printing tiled printouts, puts little crosses in the corners that make it easy to line the pages up. Any idea if there is a way to do that with Sketchup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by praymond
Nice!

paul
I think you'll find it's pretty easy to use, there are a bunch of options though. Go over to YouTube and search for Sketchup and you'll find tons of videos about it. The user SketchUpVideo has a bunch of great tutorials. I believe this is the "official" Google Sketchup user. That will give you good info on navigating around and using the tools. I recommend you follow along with the tutorials, pausing the videos and trying the actions yourself. There are other users on YouTube with videos more directed to model building.

Andy
ajreynolds is offline Find More Posts by ajreynolds
Old Jul 24, 2009, 08:40 PM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
Joined May 2005
1,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajreynolds
Great job on the video 3DMON. One note I would make is on the actual printing. In Adobe Reader, make sure on the print dialog that Page Scaling is set to None and you will get the correct size printout. I found that mine was set to Fit To Printable Area, which scales the printout down a little bit.

My CAD program (DevCad), when printing tiled printouts, puts little crosses in the corners that make it easy to line the pages up. Any idea if there is a way to do that with Sketchup?
Andy
Good point, I forgot about the page scaling.
As for the alignment crosses...
Maybe make a grouped 8x10.5 template and spread them across the plan like they are the tiles. Where they but up to each other maybe put a x there.
I'll have to try this and see if it will work.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 09:31 PM
Albany, GA
Joined Mar 2008
172 Posts
Thanks for the info! I've been so discouraged with Sketchup over the problem printing to accurate size that I'd about given up. FIW, I already have Adobe Writer installed and it works as well as cutePDF.

Huck
Huck is offline Find More Posts by Huck
Old Jul 25, 2009, 01:47 AM
Physics hate's my ideas
USA, NY, Dunkirk
Joined May 2007
3,912 Posts
thats a great video! boy i surely underestimated cute pdf due to my lack of knowledge on its capabilities. thanks a lot this will save me lots of paper!

just out of curiosity how did you do this video? i usually use a free program called camstudio which takes up alot of space for example ten minutes could be in excesss of 100mb of space... how many megs was your video? and then is day view free or you need to buy(torrent) haha
GreenAce92 is offline Find More Posts by GreenAce92
Old Jul 25, 2009, 05:00 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DMON
I also want to say thanks to Bill Segraves for his recommendation making it so the lines line up without any space in between.
You're very welcome.

Best regards,
Bill Segraves
segraves is offline Find More Posts by segraves
Last edited by segraves; Jul 25, 2009 at 08:28 AM.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 07:13 AM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
Joined May 2005
1,465 Posts
I'm glad you guys are finding this useful.

The video capture I use is a free program called Debut.
They have a lot of other cool programs too, but some are free to try though.

The video that Debut created for me was quite small (17.8 MB). I think it compressed it. Although I was not using the sound feature on it, because I had a bad mic. That might be why it was so small.
Last edited by 3DMON; Jul 25, 2009 at 04:29 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 10:08 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
My copy of your video, saved with Clipnapper, came to 66MB
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Jul 25, 2009, 04:34 PM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
Joined May 2005
1,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan
My copy of your video, saved with Clipnapper, came to 66MB
Yep the finished result after I ran the Debut clip and added the sound from a different source with a little editing with Windows Movie Maker came out to the 66 MB size.
The Debut clip itself was only 17.8 MB.

I think WMM made it come out so much bigger.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 11:36 PM
Physics hate's my ideas
USA, NY, Dunkirk
Joined May 2007
3,912 Posts
Nice! Thanks for the link for that program. Do you know that there is an animation feature in Google Sketchup? I was messing around with it, I'm still trying to figure out how to add screens with some sort of hot key like pressing the button S.
GreenAce92 is offline Find More Posts by GreenAce92
Old Jul 26, 2009, 05:33 AM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
Joined May 2005
1,465 Posts
Scenes are great for showing off your designs. I add the scenes in, click animation, and let the video capture do the rest. Then just edit what you don't want out of it.

The "S" button stops the animation how its setup up now. You can add a shortcut key in Preferences. You'll be looking for view/animation/play.