HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2009, 01:27 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Discussion
Looks like the page has turned on the older technology

I think a lot of planes and radio equipment have been made obsolete with the introduction of the AR6400 tech and the Sukhoi airframe. I have to say that after flying the Sukhoi the last few days, It has spoiled me! Now I changed the props on mine and one of the benefits in doing that is TAXI capability is greatly enhanced which is an Important aspect to me as I like to ROG and Land as well as fly.

Finally, affordable flying micro tech is at the 4 channel forefront A lot of other older planes featured here at micro RTF have been relegated back to toy status as far as I'm concerned. I know my plane bone-yard will get some new stock and even some projects in progress may wind up there.
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Last edited by modfly; Jul 24, 2009 at 01:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2009, 01:39 PM
RC WANABEE
Bremerton, WA
Joined Nov 2006
320 Posts
Yeah, but the sad part is I may have to retire all my 72mhz stuff, like CC micro stamps etc. One thing I will never give up on is my Plantraco stuff, its still the best stuff for the smaller planes. I sure hope Plantraco does a one up of some kind cause all the stuff I have from them is top drawer, and though its a different platform its as good as anything.
RC WANABEE is offline Find More Posts by RC WANABEE
Old Jul 24, 2009, 01:54 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Plantraco is in a class by its self. Its for the really small stuff! I think they would be more popular if not for the steep price of entry. I mean I know that micro electronics is a PITA and difficult to build and all but...I wish the prices were a little more reasonable. I did notice they had a sale going on recently..
Old Jul 24, 2009, 03:15 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jan 2005
2,358 Posts
95% of the stuff in here have always been toys.

BUT

now it looks like some people will be making their way over to the micro/indoor forums

oh and just to add, I dunno why there are so many sukhoi threads in here anyways as it is not RTF
trust416 is offline Find More Posts by trust416
Old Jul 24, 2009, 03:35 PM
Lucid Dreamer
USA, CA, Temecula
Joined Jul 2005
646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trust416

BUT

now it looks like some people will be making their way over to the micro/indoor forums

oh and just to add, I dunno why there are so many sukhoi threads in here anyways as it is not RTF
That's true, but as a lot of people here already have the transmitters, for them it is pretty much "RTF" which is why it probably got started here. Same went on with the BNF Vapor and Ember (though those DID have RTF versions). With all these BNF airplanes it seemed natural to put the Sukhoi here as well.

Anyway, I agree that these electronics are amazing. Don't own any, but with a stock motor that can put out something like 35 grams of thrust with the stock prop, and with building an airframe under 30 grams not being extremely difficult, there are so many possibilities. Reminds me something like when the Aero Ace came out and it became affordable to make your own planes with the guts, except now we have proportional control and two extra channels!

Personally, even if the Sukhoi airframe doesn't live up to the hype (what could?) I thank HH for making something like this so affordable.
kobkobico is offline Find More Posts by kobkobico
Old Jul 24, 2009, 03:58 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:

BUT

I disagree. Its a RTF BNF micro. It could have been a RTF if a TX had been included. This is a special case so as to not disappoint people that have never flown into thinking they could. If you have the required TX, chances are you have some flight experience.

No need to go to micro\indoor forums unless your going to build your own airframe. I think this is the perfect place for the RTF BNF Ultra Micro Sukhoi.

I also do not agree that 95% of the stuff posted here are toys. The tech from those "toys" as you call them helped us get to were we are today in micro r\c.

Now to clarify my stance on the "toy" planes, Most were not strictly toys when they came out as many adults were using them including myself to gain flying experience and get cheap stick time and some may still continue to do so. However, with the PZ Cessna, Citabria, Ember 1,2, Vapor and now Sukhoi, the other lesser planes with older tech may get finally get handed over to the kids
Last edited by modfly; Jul 24, 2009 at 04:11 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 04:20 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jan 2005
2,358 Posts
um, just because an adult uses it doesn't mean its not a toy put it this way, if you get it at toys r us or in the TOY aisle of target - guess what? it's a toy.

let be honest here, everything in here is a toy save for the PZ stuff and some toys that have been converted to pro grade

p.s - the micro/indoor forum has tons of threads on the PZ stuff, it's not just about making your own airframes
trust416 is offline Find More Posts by trust416
Old Jul 24, 2009, 04:26 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Well I prefer this forum myself but to each his own.
If many adults use a toy plane to gain flying experience and get stick time then its more than just a toy IMO.

Thats why I'm saying that these older planes will be relegated back to the toys category because fewer adults will be using them now that technology has caught up with the r\c flying popularity trend.

I think that initially, the tech was lagging and this allowed a few clever toys to be adopted as legitimate and worthy of flying. As popularity in micro flying continued and grew, the makers of these toys scrambled to make something to keep the interest level at a peak. Looks like some did not evolve fast enough.
Last edited by modfly; Jul 24, 2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 05:08 PM
4000 posts?!
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,044 Posts
Quote:
.....oh and just to add, I dunno why there are so many sukhoi threads in here anyways as it is not RTF
Better here than in the Micro/Indoor forum, remember when the original X-Twin and AA Bipes first started filtering in? There were so many threads they created this Micro RTF forum to deal with them all In fact, this forum looks much like the Micro/Indoor forum did when the Bipes took over...it'll calm down eventually, I think

RE toys vs not, I've always thought of it as, toy=cheap, non-serviceable, "throw-away" vs not-a-toy=more quality, replacement parts, "hobby grade." I think the older technology planes like the AA and others will still have a good place in the hobby, they're cheap and make for great ways to first learn to fly, and for us tinkerers and builders, the parts are worth the money alone.

That being said, the PZ planes and electronics have really opened the door for micro RC. Sure, you could've had a micro 4 channel plane of your own 5 years ago, but it didnt cost 100 bucks!! Either way, I think I'll still fly my old bipe now and then

Nick
micro_builder is offline Find More Posts by micro_builder
Last edited by micro_builder; Jul 24, 2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 09:58 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by modfly
I disagree. Its a RTF BNF micro.
I disagree. its a RTBNF ready to bind n fly
foam and tape is offline Find More Posts by foam and tape
Old Jul 25, 2009, 02:22 AM