HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 23, 2009, 09:33 PM
Newton and I are good friends
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Discussion
Need inputs on a foam Skyraider

Hi guys, well finally it might actually be happening....a foam skyraider!!! Im personally working with a importer and manufacturer on doing one.

What i need help with is some input on size, what you would like to see it come with.

At first it will not be available as a slope, but depending on demand etc it just might be eventually. Looking at doing it in a 40-60 inch ws with optional retracts as an upgrade possibly. It wil be made of eps foam with cf reinforcements as necessary.

Pls give me some inputs, as this is seriously on the drawing table right now.
tks DJ

note: pls made a reply, a simple good idea, yes i want one etc is enuff tks
olwarbirds is offline Find More Posts by olwarbirds
Last edited by olwarbirds; Jul 26, 2009 at 09:03 AM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2009, 09:43 PM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
MERLIN V16's Avatar
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,903 Posts
As you requested!
The 1st photo is a plane painted up like the one that downed a MIG in Viet-Nam
MERLIN
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2009, 09:46 PM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
MERLIN V16's Avatar
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,903 Posts
DJ
My 2 pennies! A 40 to 48 inch size will sell more planes than a 60 inch WS!
Guys don't want to go 5S to fly a "park flyer"!
MERLIN
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2009, 09:50 PM
Registered User
GiusedtoBe's Avatar
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,476 Posts
IMO 40"-45" is the sweetspot for selling lots of kits. Any bigger and you start sizing some park flyers out of your prod.

Skyraider is not one of my faves but I will keep an eye out. Hey while you are talking to an importer, how about a hurricaine, Yak, P-39, Mig, Stuka, Hien, oscar, Nick etc etc.

Look forward to seeing your product.
Alan
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2009, 09:52 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2009
354 Posts
great! i would love a skyraider with retracts!!!!
Fab3105 is offline Find More Posts by Fab3105
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2009, 09:53 PM
Newton and I are good friends
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Tks Merlin...ok guys thats the version that we are talking about doing...
so something that uses a 3-4 cell lipo? say around the 2500mah class?
olwarbirds is offline Find More Posts by olwarbirds
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2009, 09:55 PM
Newton and I are good friends
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiusedtoBe
IMO 40"-45" is the sweetspot for selling lots of kits. Any bigger and you start sizing some park flyers out of your prod.

Skyraider is not one of my faves but I will keep an eye out. Hey while you are talking to an importer, how about a hurricaine, Yak, P-39, Mig, Stuka, Hien, oscar, Nick etc etc.

Look forward to seeing your product.
Alan
Yes yes and yes...we were talking about a mig and some others today...ive been working on this for several weeks now and its gonna happen..just give us sometime and i really need ur inputs badly so i can show them too the people im working with....DJ
olwarbirds is offline Find More Posts by olwarbirds
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2009, 10:01 PM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
MERLIN V16's Avatar
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,903 Posts
E-Flite left a BIG HOLE tell them to fill it!
MERLIN
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2009, 10:12 PM
Registered User
matthew954's Avatar
Joined Oct 2005
1,542 Posts
If your doing a Skyraider you ought to do this scheme.

http://www.midwaysailor.com/midwayva25bomb/
matthew954 is offline Find More Posts by matthew954
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2009, 10:22 PM
Registered User
dude_109's Avatar
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,749 Posts
olwarbirds,

Southeast Asia camo would be very cool also. As for size, 3S 2200 lipo is a standard size battery. At least that's my definition of standard. As for me, I'm trying to make the switch to 3S A123 cells in triangular configuration.

Bottom line, I would ask for fuselage that allows 3S 2200mah lipo w/o needing ballast weight to get correct c.g. Fuselage width should be wide enough to fit 3S A123.

Ming of WindRider is on the cusp of putting out a Dauntless that requires larger than 3S 2200mah because of balance issues. I see that as a mistake. On the other hand, he tells me that the fuselage width will fit A123.

Retracts for this would be nice but make foam bottom tough enough to withstand grass landing as many parkflyers use grass runways. ParkZone new's Mustang has harder plates at bottom for belly landing.

Also, there's is another version of Skyraider with tandem seating that would be cool too.
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109
Last edited by dude_109; Jul 23, 2009 at 10:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2009, 10:24 PM
Brandon
hoverflyhehe's Avatar
Meridian, Idaho
Joined Dec 2006
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew954
If your doing a Skyraider you ought to do this scheme.

http://www.midwaysailor.com/midwayva25bomb/
"Toilet Bomb"... classic!
hoverflyhehe is offline Find More Posts by hoverflyhehe
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2009, 10:29 PM
Newton and I are good friends
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
One of the things i personally think is nice about the color scheme in the pics merlin posted for me is...the grey/silver and white is gonna be really easy to change to what you like...I also thought a decal sheet with some different squadron markings etc would be nice...the skyraider came in so many configurations, there was even one that was designed to carry nukes, i think its a very interesting model even if some dont like its looks i feel its going to be a great flyer....DJ
olwarbirds is offline Find More Posts by olwarbirds
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2009, 10:34 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2009
354 Posts
size 25 (40-50inch) 3cell 3300mA retracts possibly flaps!!!
Fab3105 is offline Find More Posts by Fab3105
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2009, 10:40 PM
Newton and I are good friends
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_109
olwarbirds,

Southeast Asia camo would be very cool also. As for size, 3S 2200 lipo is a standard size battery. At least that's my definition of standard. As for me, I'm trying to make the switch to 3S A123 cells in triangular configuration.

Bottom line, I would ask for fuselage that allows 3S 2200mah lipo w/o needing ballast weight to get correct c.g. Fuselage width should be wide enough to fit 3S A123.

Ming of WindRider is on the cusp of putting out a Dauntless that requires larger than 3S 2200mah because of balance issues. I see that as a mistake. On the other hand, he tells me that the fuselage width will fit A123.

Retracts for this would be nice but make foam bottom tough enough to withstand grass landing as many parkflyers use grass runways. ParkZone new's Mustang has harder plates at bottom for belly landing.

Also, there's is another version of Skyraider with tandem seating that would be cool too.

Thats the one the south vietmanese called the crazy water buffalo. It will have the cg set at the factory for whatever size lipo it comes with and have room for others...i brought up that very idea today...belly landing i didnt think about to be honest...how about a cf strip to put on bottom if u choose to do belly landings?
olwarbirds is offline Find More Posts by olwarbirds
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2009, 10:42 PM
Newton and I are good friends
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab3105
size 25 (40-50inch) 3cell 3300mA retracts possibly flaps!!!
yes optional flaps..i put that on the table today too keep it coming guys tk u very much...DJ
olwarbirds is offline Find More Posts by olwarbirds
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion need opinion on foam bodies salat Foamy EDFs 3 Dec 22, 2007 02:54 PM
Discussion Need advice on carving a wing from foam. Oreo Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 2 Apr 21, 2007 07:54 AM
need help on how to make molds for foam thailandboy2 Foamies (Kits) 16 Dec 09, 2004 11:57 PM
HELP: Need info on building hot wire foam cutter Chic The Builders Workshop 4 Jan 11, 2003 11:13 AM
Need help on Cutting extruded polystyrene Foam KillerWatt Electric Plane Talk 0 Jun 16, 2002 12:13 PM