HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2009, 01:20 PM
"Spark Chaser"
United States, WI, Middleton
Joined Jun 2004
347 Posts
Help!
Hobby Lobby A-7 Corsair II ARTF - ESC issues?

I've just tried flying my A-7 and I've experience some really bad throttle / esc issues. (poor thrust/RPM, hot batteries, surging)

From what I've read in other threads, this is due to a bad ESC or a mis-programmed ESC. Most likely incorrect timing. Does anyone know how to program this ESC?

TIA,
-Jim
jokeane is offline Find More Posts by jokeane
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Le Fish aerobatic slope glider
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2009, 06:02 PM
"Spark Chaser"
United States, WI, Middleton
Joined Jun 2004
347 Posts
Programming of J-Power 45A ESC

The ESC I have looks like the one at the top of this picture:
http://www.jpower.hk/image/ESC.jpg

It says J-POWER ESC 45A on it and has a little daughter circuit board (BEC?) like in this image.

After a bit of experimenting and looking at various online ESC programming manuals, I think I found the manual for this ESC. In any event the beep / flow chart matched this manual.

The ESC manual on this page:
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...2&pid=B2049176
http://www.bphobbies.com/pdf/bp/BP-45A-ESC.pdf

This flow chart of beeps appears to work correctly to program this ESC.

I set it up like this:
4S,
auto throttle,
no brake,
soft cutoff,
high RPM,
16KHz

The motor / fan now runs up to full speed and pulls about 33 Amps static.

Can anyone verify this is the correct programming guide for this ESC?
jokeane is offline Find More Posts by jokeane
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Le Fish aerobatic slope glider
Old Sep 30, 2009, 08:37 PM
san jose- CA
Joined Nov 2003
6 Posts
A7 Esc

Thanks for the info on the Hobby Lobby A7 ESC. Jokeane.
My throttle response has always been jerky and your info fixed it.
For you info: My A7 was so noisy when I first flew it that my friends said to not bring it back unless I corrected the situation. Upon close examination I saw that the fan blades were leaving a grove in the fan housing plus there was some vibration. I removed the fan unit/ motor by removing the rear motor hatch ( mine was very tight ) and then removing the adhesive around the fan unit using a 6 inch thin metal steel ruler with a radius ed edge. You still have to use pressure to get the unit out of the fuselage. I removed the fan and balanced it on a prop balancer using scotch tape as weights. Sticking the tape inside the fan unit webs will keep it there as the fan spins up.
I checked the vibration by holding the unit ( using a thick glove ) and spinning it up to about half throttle.
I did not use adhesive when re-installing the unit. I installed a rubber band around the leading edge of the housing ( about 1/4 inch wide ) to act as a grommet. When the foam hatch is reinstalled you will find the fan unit will not move. The A7 is really quite now and I get no complaints.
donwojtas is offline Find More Posts by donwojtas