SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 23, 2009, 08:38 AM
Founder of the EDF20 club!
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2008
3,261 Posts
Question
Pro Boat Apache 24?

Hey, I'm looking into buying my first boat. I've had experience with everything else in rc and have decided it's time I give boats a try. I was thinking about the Apache 24 because I need something that is small enough for such places as a pond, but can handle rough water too. The Apache 24 looked like it could do both from the vids I've seen. Is it any good? I also don't want to spend a lot of money right away because I really don't live by any water and it might only get used a few times a year. So it's nice that it's only $160. If it really doesn't need any upgrades right away and is pretty reliable, that would be great too. What do you guys have to say about it? Is there a better boat for me out there at around the same price or will this one do?
all4smallrc is offline Find More Posts by all4smallrc
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2009, 04:10 PM
Jay M.
Joined Jun 2009
19 Posts
For what you are looking to do with it I would say stick with the Apache. The Traxxas Blast is in that price range at $115. (quoted from Tower Hobbies) I don't have any experience with Traxxas marine products, but I haven't had any real problems with Pro Boat. I say go for it, drop a Li-Po in that bad boy and let it rip. IMHO I think I'd rather buy a boat from a boat company. No offense to Traxxas of course! As for upgrades I say maybe a metal prop down the road other than that run it as is.
SoFlaRC is offline Find More Posts by SoFlaRC
Old Jul 24, 2009, 08:23 AM
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2008
3,261 Posts
Ok, thanks. Any idea how fast it is stock? A guy on Youtube said he would guess 15-20mph. That was just a guess though, he didn't radar test it. Also, if that guess is pretty close, would that speed be pretty good for a 24in RTR boat?
Old Jul 24, 2009, 08:37 AM
Bucharest, RO
Joined May 2009
1,990 Posts
Take a look at this guy's cat:
pro boat apache 24,first run (1 min 53 sec)
CornelP is offline Find More Posts by CornelP
Old Jul 24, 2009, 11:18 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,617 Posts
from the sound I'd guess closser to 15 mph.
Rex R is offline Find More Posts by Rex R
Old Jul 24, 2009, 07:12 PM
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2008
3,261 Posts
Probably going to pick one up tomorrow.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 10:08 PM
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2008
3,261 Posts
I bought it!!! It looks REALLY nice! This should be a great first boat! I picked up a 4500mah NiMh battery, a AC/DC peak charger, and some deans plugs too so I should be all good to go! First run will hopefully be tomorrow! Can't wait!
Old Jul 26, 2009, 10:16 PM
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2008
3,261 Posts
Well, I ran it for the first time today! My first run with a boat of any sort besides micro boats for the tub! I like it a lot! It launches nice but is not very fast. Just fine for a stock RTR though. I'd say 15mph. It handles waves beautifully and is all together really stable. It shoots nice and straight and handles like a dream. It gets great run time with my 4500mah battery. Everything got pretty hot, but it was running fine. Also, there was not a drop of water in it! I'm hooked on rc boats now!
Old Jul 27, 2009, 10:20 PM
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2008
3,261 Posts
Got it out again and did my second run with it this evening. Ran for about 20min. This thing is great! I love it! Any ideas how I could improve speed without spending a lot of money? I'm actually fine with the speed right now, but a little more would be fun.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 12:06 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,617 Posts
you should see some improvement by merely running the boat. I try not to dink around with props untill my boats have at least 4 runs on them, takes about that long for the driveline to 'loosen up'.
Rex R is offline Find More Posts by Rex R
Old Jul 28, 2009, 08:22 AM
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2008
3,261 Posts
And it takes a little time for the motor brushes to get broken in too.
Old May 03, 2010, 02:38 PM
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2008
3,261 Posts
I've got my Apache just about ready for its first run this year. I made sure all the screws were tight, put some oil on the motor bushings, and I still need to buy some marine grease for lubing the shaft (I'll get on that soon). I'm looking for some better speed though and I plan to do a brushless upgrade this summer. Does anyone have suggestions for a water cooled motor and esc that won't break the bank? Hobby King has some nice looking stuff. I'm thinking about these, but I'm not sure if the esc will work with my Nimh battery. I don't have a desire to go lipo. http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...r_(WaterCooled) http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...hless_Boat_ESC
Old May 03, 2010, 05:40 PM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,169 Posts
The small motor you listed is going to be too high of a kv for your boat in my opinion.

Consider these items:

For 6 cell nimh this should work well for some decent speed: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...300kv_Inrunner

For 3s lipo, this would make it move out very nicely....... http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...300kv_Inrunner
scorpion1 is online now Find More Posts by scorpion1
Old May 03, 2010, 06:28 PM
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2008
3,261 Posts
Hmm. I was hoping for a water cooled motor though. And the one you said should work with a 6 cell Nimh says 3 cell lipo minimum. A 6 cell Nimh is just below that of a 2 cell lipo.
Old May 03, 2010, 06:50 PM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,169 Posts
It will run on 6 cells, and you can buy a water cooling jacket for 20 bucks or make a coil for two. If you want the truth, you are puttng the cart before the horse trying to build a setup around an outdated nimh battery. You can't run a dragster on 87 pump octane. You should maybe consider lipos
scorpion1 is online now Find More Posts by scorpion1
Last edited by scorpion1; May 03, 2010 at 09:36 PM.