Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 22, 2009, 01:24 PM
Joined Feb 2009
2 Posts
Discussion
Great Planer Revolver building need help. Aileron tabs problem

I am desperate to find help. I just finished assembling my brand new great planes revolver until i set my radio and try to center all the control then i find this problem on the left wing where the aileron can't be center at all. When i try to center it, one edge is center while the other edge of aileron is slightly down about 5-6mm difference. I don't know what is the term of the problem but i hear from people that this might be due to shipping problem where the moisture is different and causing the wing or the aileron to bent slightly. Any help how to do a quick fix on this? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

jj53 is offline Find More Posts by jj53
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2009, 02:29 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj53

I am desperate to find help.
>
>
>
Any help how to do a quick fix on this? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks...
Hello jj53,

The pictures are not telling me what is needed to help you.

Your situation can be in two domains.
1- Is the mechanical structure proper?
....Is there any warpage in the ailerons?
.... like is one end lining up with the wing trailing edge and the other end is not?

That would obviouosly have to be repaired (fixed).

Then the linkage from servo to ailerons have to be adjusted for the ailerons to line up when the servo or servos is/are neutral (centered) without any trim applied (trims in center).

2- The problem could be radio set up.
.... To help you in such a case let us know what radio model you are using and are the servos analog or digital?

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 22, 2009, 07:11 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Gong over post #1 again

jj53,

Trying to understand better what you said. I am now guessing that you are assembling an ARF airplane.

I first went by your using the word "building" in the title.

It also appear that that your problem is with only one aileron. You can center the aileron but not both ends at the same time.

I conclude that this aileron is warped. From the pics it appears to be made of foam.

What is obvious to you is not necessarily obvious to the reader.

Perhaps your post #1 resumes itself to _ _ _ _

I am assembling an ARF plane and the wings are foam. One aileron is warped.
Is there an easy way to unwarp it?

Am I correct?

Zor
Old Jul 22, 2009, 09:25 PM
Joined Feb 2009
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zor
jj53,

Trying to understand better what you said. I am now guessing that you are assembling an ARF airplane.

I first went by your using the word "building" in the title.

It also appear that that your problem is with only one aileron. You can center the aileron but not both ends at the same time.

I conclude that this aileron is warped. From the pics it appears to be made of foam.

What is obvious to you is not necessarily obvious to the reader.

Perhaps your post #1 resumes itself to _ _ _ _

I am assembling an ARF plane and the wings are foam. One aileron is warped.
Is there an easy way to unwarp it?

Am I correct?

Zor
Zor, The wing is not made out of foam. It is from balsa and i just found out the correct term to say it is wing or aileron warp. This is not the radio problem as this is only happening on the left wing where the aileron tab or the wing itself is 'warped'. Any idea on how to check which one is warped before making any attempt to fix this? Thanks
jj53 is offline Find More Posts by jj53
Old Jul 22, 2009, 11:18 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj53
Zor, The wing is not made out of foam. It is from balsa and i just found out the correct term to say it is wing or aileron warp. This is not the radio problem as this is only happening on the left wing where the aileron tab or the wing itself is 'warped'. Any idea on how to check which one is warped before making any attempt to fix this? Thanks
jj53,

A warped wing is usually easy to detect just by looking at it. You see the twist.

You can also sit it on a known flat surface press down the trailing edge to the flat surface and see what happens looking at the leading edge.

Similar for the aileron. Press down one end of the trailing edge to the flat surface and see what happens at the other end.

Looking at your pictures, The top pic with the pink colored top seem to be pretty thick and white at the rear end. It looks like white foam.

I wonder what this all wrinkled bluish stuff is and why it is in the pictures.

Why did you not post a picture where we can see both ends of the aileron in the same picture?

Then a picture where we see the complete wing on edge with one end of the trsiling edge at the left and the other end at the right. Leading edge, trailing edge and the camera lens all in the same geometrical plane.

We want to help but you are no presenting the siuation clearly.

Perhaps other fellows may guess or comment based on assumptions.
I cannot do that. I need a clear understanding of what you see.

Zor
Last edited by Zor; Jul 22, 2009 at 11:23 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 12:09 AM
USA, CA, Merced
Joined Dec 2007
504 Posts
from the pictures, either the wing or the aileron are warped.

use a straightedge to see which one, if it is the wing you may be able to use the heat shrink of the skin to straighten it, if it is the aileron then you may be able to twist it back into shape, but most likely you will need to make a new aileron if it is warped.
DannyZRC is offline Find More Posts by DannyZRC
Old Jul 23, 2009, 07:43 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Careful guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyZRC
from the pictures, either the wing or the aileron are warped.

use a straightedge to see which one, if it is the wing you may be able to use the heat shrink of the skin to straighten it, if it is the aileron then you may be able to twist it back into shape, but most likely you will need to make a new aileron if it is warped.
I can have an aileron that has a perfectly straight leading edge both horizontally and vertically and a perfectly straight trailing edge both horizontally and vertically, still it can have a terribly bad warp.

Just take a rectangular piece of cardboard, keep the edges straight and twist it.

Zor