HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2009, 04:52 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2006
2,132 Posts
Hi Guys,

Dave, glad to hear you some FUN at the NEAT Fair, the weather is always fickle at the wrong times, but you got out there and showed them when others bottled it, great stuff!

Rich, did I see your TX aerial in the camera mans shadow? Are you the masked video operator and flyer in one? That's pretty cool mate, great flying with the Kellett and nice sound track, Cheers,

regards to all, Al
rotorheid is offline Find More Posts by rotorheid
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2009, 04:54 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Rich.....get on a plane to NJ and show how to do right turns!
imsofaman is offline Find More Posts by imsofaman
Old Sep 20, 2009, 06:04 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,904 Posts
Al,
Most of my videos are shot by myself, it really isnt that hard..the camera is just fastened to the top of my transmitter with an ultra engineered fixing mechanism...Ok duct tape/rubber bands and foam ..I just point/fly and hope I have get the footage..LOL..I can only do it for so long as the extra weight and out stretched arms makes the old muscles ache

Dave...LOL..I didnt realise I was doing right handers , it doesnt matter what you feel or not feel comfortable with..if you prefer left handers theres nothing wrong with that...a mission for the winter months aye

Regards Rich
SafeLandings is online now Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Sep 20, 2009, 07:52 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Can you imagine......you have your design out in front of your RC community, RC magazines are watching you....all the guys you have heard of on RC Groups are there watching you. You get in line, and then I hear Bob Hunt say that the pattern is set for right hand turns. My heart drops to my stomach.....panic sets in.....I am thinking I should just go sit down cause I suck at right turns with a gyro....a plane I can do OK.....but with a gyro, it just looks wierd as I am not used to it. Then....Bob looks at me and says, "OK sir....you are next." OMG....I needed to change my shorts!!! To say the least....as I dont know how to say things in one or two words....LOL, I did not fair well with the right hand turn. Once you are forced into the pattern, you have no choice.

So, yes Richie......practice I shall! That will not happen to me again next year...you can beleive that!!!

Rich....I had a nice English chap come over and speak with me. I forget the model magazine he represented, but he took photos and I gave him your contact information.

My motor I thought I destroyed.....I actually knocked her back into shape and tried here out. Of course......I can fly today!!! But....yes, she is all back together now and air worthy. I am taking off the motor and using it for a spare (to use on new prototypes ) and it works fine. A little wobbly by .003 but the best I could get it.

Man!!! I wish someone would have taken a video or photo of me flying in the high winds on Friday.

OK boys....I will get some photos posted now...

Dave
Old Sep 21, 2009, 04:37 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,904 Posts
Heres a quick video of my mate at the sticks of my Kellett Profile...despite the Micky taking he flew it really well...perhaps another one truned to

THE DARK SIDE!!.....pun intended....watch the video

Model Autogyro Meako takes to the sticks!! (3 min 27 sec)
Old Sep 21, 2009, 04:52 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Meako lands the gyro better than he does a fixed wing!

Dave
Old Sep 21, 2009, 05:00 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,904 Posts
LOL...and on the patch ...I think it is down to a sound design Davey...if Carling ever designed a tractor gyro this would be the one!

You have probably seen this video before, here he is flying a WOT 4...sorry for the off subject Dave.

WOT 4 ..crap landing !!!!!! (2 min 27 sec)

Regards Rich
Old Sep 21, 2009, 05:13 PM
autogyro andy
South UK
Joined Feb 2007
748 Posts
great videos Rich.

yes we English chaps have lots of fun at our club sites. But butt kicking is not used in the southern part of the country. LOL.

Andy
HandyAndy is offline Find More Posts by HandyAndy
Old Sep 21, 2009, 05:15 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
I dont even know the guy....but i have to say it is one of my altime favorite videos of all time!!! LOL!!!

Oh....flew the profile at lunch....it was a fun time. Uh....no right turns either. LOL!

Dave
Old Sep 21, 2009, 05:17 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyAndy
great videos Rich.

yes we English chaps have lots of fun at our club sites. But butt kicking is not used in the southern part of the country. LOL.

Andy

What BUTT activity do you do then down South ..I have seen the photo in the woods

LOL
Old Sep 21, 2009, 05:20 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imsofaman
I dont even know the guy....but i have to say it is one of my altime favorite videos of all time!!! LOL!!!

Oh....flew the profile at lunch....it was a fun time. Uh....no right turns either. LOL!

Dave

Dave,
Why not try the right handers at height?..get a feel for them then slowly each time get lower?..it may work?

Rich
Old Sep 21, 2009, 08:11 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Hey guys,
All this talk about Left and Right turns.........I hadn't noticed a difference! Great.....now I'll be worried next time I fly! I'm just kidding. Dave, just fly the thing and don't worry left or right, I've seen you fly in your videos, and all that stuff is in your head! Besides, if I could build blades as well and as quick as you do, I'd never worry about crashing.
Regards
-Mike
Boneswamped is offline Find More Posts by Boneswamped
Old Sep 21, 2009, 09:14 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Profile Kellett DATA....

Yeah, I know it is all in my head. I really need to practice what I am not good at. It has just been what is comfortable.....I do. Now it is pretty much a crutch. But, I will overcome it. I did not try the right hand turns today as I was at the park and no room to screw up. Once I go up to the large fields, I will really practice the right hand turns.

Profile Kellett DATA.....

OK....I need to really throw something out to you guys and not sure if I covered it or not. Getting a little forgetful lately.

My findings with the glow motor:
Small diamater prop 10" to 11" diameter with prop wash over partial section of the horizontal stab, the gyro seemed to dive a bit easy as the hang angle was fine....the down thrust good. I added packing to the trailing edge of the Hor. stab and it evened out so nicely. I was happy with that.
****Keep in mind.....I was only getting maybe 4 lbs of thrust with the glow.****

I converted the gyro to 40 size electric outrunner, using 4 cells and 14x7 prop, same exact hang angle, rotors,ect.....just different power source. Still kept the the incidence the same on the horizontal stab.
****The electric converstion produces 6 1/2 lbs of thrust****
The total area of the horizontal stab is now being covered by prop wash. The gyro now noses up and sometimes, it is just too difficult to push the nose down. Even after trimming the rotor angle of attack, if you goose it too much....it nosed up bad....sometimes to the point of no recovery.

My solution?
I took out the incidence out of the Horizontal stab with the electric set up and it flies perfect.

So.....these are my findings. I am not saying I am right, I am not saying that any one else's set up is wrong. I am just saying that each power source vs. a new build may require some adjustments. It is all in the set up.

The "proper set up" equation:
The answer is by trial and error. You know the "constants" of the equation such as hang angle, motor downthrust, rotor angle of attack and these should not change in the beginning of the set up. Dropping in the "variables" like your motor thrustas per the set up of motor/power and the horizontal stab set up will give the answer to the equation....proper forward flight. It is ALL in the set up......

Take all the info given by all of us and digest it. I think a colage of all our ideas and results may help you all if you decide to build the Kellet.

Dave
Last edited by imsofaman; Sep 22, 2009 at 07:42 AM.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 08:18 AM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Here is the motor I use from Hobby King:

KD 36-12XL Brushless Outrunner 770Kv EQ: 2826/12

Their ESC is inexpensive and works great!

Hobbyking SS Series 90-100A ESC

The Battery is a Zippy 4S1P 5000 mAh

Dave

And of course the 14x7 E prop. Either APC or even Hobby King's prop is nice and is glass filled. You could do a "one stop shop" at Hobby King for the total E set up and be done.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 04:51 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Profile Kellett E Movies....

I made a couple movies showing of the new E set up.

Dave

Profile Kellett E (9 min 37 sec)

Profile Kellett E Part 2 (6 min 1 sec)