HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 13, 2009, 03:54 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,706 Posts
Looks good Dave

Im looking forward to how you get on ..with that much thrust it should be able to hover...VERTICALLY!!!

God Speed

Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2009, 04:36 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2006
2,132 Posts
Hi Dave,

Nice work, you always come up with the goods when required, good luck for the 'Fair

Al
rotorheid is offline Find More Posts by rotorheid
Old Sep 13, 2009, 04:36 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Thanks Richie.....I will give a flight report tomorrow. I must remember to bring my hat cam. I dont think anything has really changed, weight is the same with 5 cells VS the 40 sized motors, hang angle is the same.....I dont fore see any problems, but with this hobby, anything could happen I guess. I want to fly conservative to see how long I can fly. I just hope to control myself. LOL!!!! Hahahahahaha.

Dave
imsofaman is offline Find More Posts by imsofaman
Old Sep 13, 2009, 04:37 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Aye Al.......thanks man!
Old Sep 13, 2009, 04:45 PM
autogyro andy
South UK
Joined Feb 2007
705 Posts
looks good Dave

Rich and I have been flying ours together in the Holland sky. Lots of fun when there is 2.

Andy
HandyAndy is offline Find More Posts by HandyAndy
Old Sep 13, 2009, 04:57 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Any video of you guys flying together? I would like to see that. I have seen you two flying together before and was so much fun to watch!

I am getting excited!!! cant wait til tomorrow!!!

Dave
Old Sep 14, 2009, 08:22 AM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Flight Report:

It flies! Just not for a long time. I may set my cut off on the ESC to a lower value and may squeeze more time out of her. Not sure yet. Charging up again right now.

Only 3 minutes of flight,

Jumps in the air like a cat.

It is balance perfectly right now.....hate to change too much. If I have to....I will strap on that big 4 cell lipo. That will cure the problem!

Let me play a little more. Beep-Beep-Beep.....battery is done!

Dave
Old Sep 14, 2009, 09:42 AM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
4 cell 5000 mAh pack is mounted now....going to find a place to fly.

Another flight report soon....
Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:46 AM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
As far as power goes.....the A123 a little shy of the 4S1P 5000 mAh Zippy Lipo pack. With the Zippy.....I never went full bore....if I would it would loop. I have it so at less than 1/2 throttle.....she just cruises along. Love it!!! Twice the power of my glow stuff. For sure.....this is the way to go for me.

I strapped the battery to the vertical part of the nose and have no problems at all.

WAY HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave
Old Sep 14, 2009, 11:46 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Some photos..........
Old Sep 15, 2009, 11:55 AM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,044 Posts
Man...that battery isn't going anywhere! That blue battery looks like it was just meant for the gyro. Nice work Dave!
jodini is online now Find More Posts by jodini
Old Sep 20, 2009, 01:00 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,706 Posts
Dave,
Today I fitted a new set of 2 3/8" wide Aerobalsa blades to my Kellett Profile, on the first attempt it ballooned right up so I landed. I added packing to the front of the horizontal stab as we did with Andy's and tried again
What a different machine to fly ..it has made it really floaty and it flew really really stable ..my mate Meako had his first ROG and flight with an Autogyro and I had fun doing some low level stuff. I will upload some video footage later..I think you may like it, I sure had fun.

Still my favourite tractor gyro that I have in my Arsenal!!..just a little slower

Hope you had fun at your flying event

Regards Rich
Old Sep 20, 2009, 02:14 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Good for you Rich. I prefer the the AB converted to flat bottom, I find the lift is awesome and the RPMs are much higher so the lift seems more constant. A truely wonderful experiment that went well and so glade I did it. Now.....I know what to do with all the sets that I have.

Friday.....I arrived at the event in the afternoon. We had a great lunch time show. Towards the end of the day.....the wind was just crazy.....and was overcast. I was in line to fly my Profile Kellett. It got so bad that everyone just got out of line. I was the only one on the field. I took off in crazy wind.....down wind.....it was just funny to watch as I was goingpretty fast. Going intot he wind.....I just floated around. Then I was doing high speed touch and goes downwind. SO much fun!!! Everyone enjoyed watching it, including me. Not sure how long I flew, I just know I lost track of time consentrating on the flying. The weather got even worse....I landed before I could wreck it. I was beat and went back to the hotel and just relaxed. In some substantial pain from the drive up there.

I dumb thumbed both gyros Saturday. First off....the pattern was set for right turns only. I should have just took my gyro and sat tdown....cause I dont like making right turns. I never really had to. Well....I took off and went into a right turn with the RPG and over steered with right roll and over compensated with corecting it and kind of rocked back and forth a bit before nosing in a bit and tipped. Not damage. I sat me arse down. LOL

The Profile flight in the afternoon went bad as I nosed it up like a 3D plane. Just too much throttle and should have known better but needed to get in the air as guys were buzzing me. I pushed the nose down but not enough throw to correct it and it started to roll to the right so I tried to follow thru with a roll and could not quite make it and I nosed it in and it only broke the Master Air Screw gear box. The motor is screwed as it took the force of the blow.

Pretty embarrasing day of flying on Saturday....but I got out there and tried. I will work on right turns this winter!!!

Dave
Old Sep 20, 2009, 02:31 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,706 Posts
Dave,
Sorry to here of the mishap ..these events are either windy or the direction is the wrong way ..Im sure they will live to fly another day. The good thing is you get to meet some interesting like minded people

So here is my video from today..it is short but the Kellett peforms really well with the Aerobalsa blades and is far more responsive at slower speeds...I will post another video of my mate flying it later..but for now please enjoy the video

Regards Rich

Kellet Profile tail hanging! (3 min 57 sec)
Last edited by SafeLandings; Sep 20, 2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 03:36 PM
autogyro andy
South UK
Joined Feb 2007
705 Posts
great video Rich.

love the right turns with such control. fantastic.

Andy
HandyAndy is offline Find More Posts by HandyAndy