HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2009, 12:08 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Discussion
Profile Kellett 3 FUN Videos!!!

I flew my Profile Kellett today for two hours. The last time I flew it (two years ago) I noticed it dove down badly once in the air and had to keep the rotors tilted way back just to keep in the air. Today.....I addressed this problem the same way Rich and Andy did by shimming up the trailing edge of the rear stab. Exactly how much....I will have to measure later, but it was a substantial amount. Along with this....I took out all the down thrust on the motor. The result.....a gyor that was so much fun to fly....I forgot to eat lunch! LOL!!!

So...I am thinking of changing the plan. What do you guys think? We all have done pretty much the same thing and want others not to have the same problems.

I extended my blades by 1" each also as my bird is heavy. It worked out so nice!!! As heavy as mine is....it floated like a butter fly! Point the nose down a bit and she increases speed very well. I have a bit too much rudder travel and will have to adjust that. My Magnum 52 was a little "testy" at first. My fuel may be a little old. But finally I got the power range I was looking for. That gave me awesome climb and fun stall turns!!!! Or quick flat turns with high rpms and looks like it is turning in slow motion. So much fun!!

I rolled it once while landing. LOL!!! What exactly happned...I have no idea...but I did break a underslung stab off. But that was it. I used 1/2 gallon today!!! I flew constantly.....it was a blast!!!

All in all....it flies the way a gyro is supposed to now.

Dave
imsofaman is offline Find More Posts by imsofaman
Last edited by imsofaman; Jul 24, 2009 at 07:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2009, 03:21 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,844 Posts
Dave,
Remember us changing the plan???..I think you were on your medication at the time ..I mentioned this problem to you and you altered the plan so there is roll only and fixed pitch?..it can easily be trimmed with the elevator!!

Best flying tractor gyro I own!!...I told you!!!

Regards Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Jul 22, 2009, 03:59 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
LOL!!!!! Uh....OK....dont really remember much of that....but I beleive you! LOL!

I do now this....I really like the way it flew.

Yours and Andy's the stab was shimmed up. How much? The same?

Dave
Old Jul 22, 2009, 04:26 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,844 Posts
Dave,
Mine wasnt but Andys was, I cant remember how much but he will be able to tell you.

Rich
Old Jul 22, 2009, 06:25 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,844 Posts
I found these photos of mine and Andy's models..not sure if you have seen these or not Dave...they were taken last November on a very cold day!!
Andy was camera man ..I like these cold still sunny winter days..perfect fo flying Autogyros

Andy we need to do this again sometime while we have the light evenings!!
Last edited by SafeLandings; Jul 22, 2009 at 06:30 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 06:42 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
I need to move my throttle servo to the other side as it is getting pounded with oil!!!
Old Jul 24, 2009, 11:53 AM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
OK....I discovered I had blew my Magnum 52. The main bearing threw a ball and it chewed up the inside of the motor pretty badly. Down a motor now!

I have an old OS 40 with bearings on the crank and installed it. Easy install.

Gone flying.....will be back with video......

Dave
Old Jul 24, 2009, 02:34 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Videos!!!

Here you go guys.....the first flight of the day..............
I tried to make it interesting....some funny spots. Just want you to feel like you are at the field with me....

Dave

Profile Kellet Autogyro 1 (9 min 56 sec)
Old Jul 24, 2009, 05:58 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Another.........I know the Icon picture looks the same....but the videos are different.

Having fun with Profile Kellett Autogyro (7 min 55 sec)
Old Jul 24, 2009, 06:55 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Here is the last video of the day. A mechanical problem discovered ended my day. But what an awesome day it was!!!

I wanted to make my videos like a blog kind of. Or in other words as if you were right there with me. I hope you enjoyed them.....

Dave

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oRxp-Zg5MM
Old Jul 24, 2009, 08:04 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Cool videos Dave. I may just have to build a Kellett profile. I've got an O.S .70 FS laying around, would that work? or would I need to scale the plans up or down for that motor?
Regards,
-Mike
Boneswamped is offline Find More Posts by Boneswamped
Old Jul 24, 2009, 08:20 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Well....I am using a .40 right now. It does well. A .52 made that thing aerobatic!!!

A .70 FS.....hmmmmm.....well, we could put the battery (use a larger miliamp pack for balast) in the rear. I put the throttle servo in the rear to save some weight. It may work OK Mike if you want to give it a go. I would suggest making the blades longer. I did and you can see the results from my videos.

Also.....I need to thank you for suggesting the CA hinge for the head earlier in the year. I just finished repairing the head and used the CA hinge material. She is repaired and poised in the corner....ready for action!!
Old Jul 25, 2009, 02:01 AM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,062 Posts
WOW Dave! Glad you got it back in! That was a close one!
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old Jul 25, 2009, 02:57 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,844 Posts
Dave,
That has to be one of your best flying videos, thanks for posting them I totally enjoyed them.
Mike, I think the 70 fs will be to heavy for the profile Kellett in its standard form, I would personnely scale it up to about 60" span...My DAG-GT is 75" and flies well on a 91 4 stroke.
You would love the way the Kellett flies...did I ever mention it is my favourite tractor gyro? ..not everones cup of tea being profile though.
So Dave how about a profile Cierva to complement the Kellett??

Regards Rich
Old Jul 25, 2009, 06:58 AM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Rich,
So glad you like the videos. Just out there having fun on a rainy day. I too love the way it handles in the air. I was so impressed with old OS. I had heard SF40 was a dependable and tough engine.

Joe,
I was wondering what happened as I made my last turn! LOL! But....I lucked out as the gyro gods were with me!

Mike,
As Rich proposed, maybe scaling it up would be the answer. I just am lazy and would rather go heavy and increase the rotor span. It is your call.

Dave