SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 22, 2009, 10:46 AM
Turkey - Istanbul
Joined Jun 2009
145 Posts
Discussion
Walkera Lama 400D

First of all, sorry for my English, it is not good, and i will try my best to explain myself.

I was waiting for my 400D, at the end it arrived, and it made me really so upset. I thought it would be nice to use such a big coaxial but thats wrong. I used so many coaxials till now, Walkeras, Eskys etc. but i have never seen such a slow heli, by saying slow i mean, you can only make hover ! When you try to go forward, backward, left and right it is soo slow ! I couldnt believe my eyes, it is impossible to use it outdoors, i didnt understand why the servos are moving so little ?? Maybe it can be solved but i dont want to disturb the heli when trying that because i will sell it.

So, if you are planning to buy this heli, beware, dont buy it. If i had a cam i would show you but i dont have one. Esky Big Lama was better at moving around and much faster.

I think i will never be able to fly outside with a coaxial, it will be a dream for me.

EDIT: I decided to edit the topic after i understood that i had the problem, not the heli. I am late to do this sorry, but i didnt know to edit the topic, i tried once more and found advance buton.
beachbumbora is offline Find More Posts by beachbumbora
Last edited by beachbumbora; Jan 04, 2010 at 07:43 AM. Reason: I think the problem is about me not about heli...
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2009, 11:17 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
On some of Walkera's other large coax helis, there is an exponential setting on the 4 in 1 module. You may want to check and see if this heli has that and turn it up, if it does. But, I think almost everyone knows these big coaxes are advertised as being for outdoors, because they are too big for indoors, not because they handle wind. The bigger they are, the more of a profile they present for the wind to catch and they still have just as poor movement authority as a smaller coax, with a smaller profile.

If you want to fly a coax outdoors, you really need to buy a CX2 or Lama V4 and modify it. A better choice is a Walkera UFO #5 or #8. It's not a coax, but they are much less affected by air currents and wind.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; Jul 22, 2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 11:35 AM
Turkey - Istanbul
Joined Jun 2009
145 Posts
Thank you Balr14,

I would really want to have a modified lama v4 but i dont understand so much about electronics and mechanics, does anyone or anywhere sell modified helicopters for outdoor fly ?

Thanks again...
Old Jul 22, 2009, 11:45 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
I don't know of anyone who sells them, but they aren't difficult modifications. People in this forum will help you. Here's a topic that will provide you lots of help: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1050261

I understand you don't want something that's real difficult to fly. But, rather than a coax, take a look at a quad. It requires no modifications and is pretty simple mechanically: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1012656
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jul 22, 2009, 11:55 AM
Turkey - Istanbul
Joined Jun 2009
145 Posts
I dont know why but i dont like that things which dont look like helicopters. maybe this is a obsession.

I looked at first link, i need so many parts for upgrading, and i think i am so much lazy about geting them, waiting them all to arrive ( some of them are out of stock ), putting them on heli, make tuning... i think i cant do them i know this is stupid but maybe i am lazy i really dont know.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 12:03 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbumbora
Thank you Balr14,

I would really want to have a modified lama v4 but i dont understand so much about electronics and mechanics, does anyone or anywhere sell modified helicopters for outdoor fly ?

Thanks again...
Hi,

I don't know of anyone who sells them modified either, sorry. I think, the reason for this is, that there are really too many different modifications you can do or have to make - all geared to the wishes of the customer, so you basically need to find a place who offers custom made helis ... or you do what Balr14 suggested and do the mods yourself and ask questions here (or in other forums) as there are a lot of people out there happily willing to help.
Also, doing the mods yourself will exponetially improve your learning curve on the heli because you really start to understand what is going on and how things have to be.
(If you are considering the custom made heli though, you might want to contact Ernie at helitek-rc ... I think they do offer this service.) But remember that it will take a lot of the "fun stuff" i.e. the learning out of the experience ... which will ultimately make it more complicated once you damage something or get any other kinds of troubles ....

Regards,
Sven
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E2's canopy thread
Old Jul 22, 2009, 12:03 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,096 Posts
Most RTF kits are usualy setup very gentle. Closest servo horn hole, it all adds up to what looks like a slow moving heli.

If you start adjusting the linkage to the most outer hole and if you have what is mention above EXPO on the TX, you will soon notice the heli me much more responsive and appear to fly faster.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jul 22, 2009, 12:33 PM
Droner
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, CPH
Joined Mar 2006
2,410 Posts
Balr14 are right, try adjusting the "extent" pot on the reciever, it controls how much the servos move.
SebastianJ is offline Find More Posts by SebastianJ
Old Jul 22, 2009, 12:34 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,885 Posts
Quote:
First of all, sorry for my English, it is not good, and i will try my best to explain myself.

I was waiting for my 400D, at the end it arrived, and it made me really so upset. I thought it would be nice to use such a big coaxial but thats wrong. I used so many coaxials till now, Walkeras, Eskys etc. but i have never seen such a slow heli, by saying slow i mean, you can only make hover ! When you try to go forward, backward, left and right it is soo slow ! I couldnt believe my eyes, it is impossible to use it outdoors, i didnt understand why the servos are moving so little ?? Maybe it can be solved but i dont want to disturb the heli when trying that because i will sell it.

So, if you are planning to buy this heli, beware, dont buy it. If i had a cam i would show you but i dont have one. Esky Big Lama was better at moving around and much faster.

I think i will never be able to fly outside with a coaxial, it will be a dream for me.
If there are pots to adjust, just know that they are only 1-turn pots. You can turn them until you're blue in the face, but it isn't doing anything except in that one turn. Think of it as a clock face and make small adjustments up to but not past the 12 o'clock position. There is a flat spot on the adjustment. That is what you use for a reference.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Jul 22, 2009, 01:10 PM
Joined Apr 2009
745 Posts
On the early walkera's 72Mgz the extent adjusted servo throw in some of the later one's the extent turned into a gyro control (sort of ) the 2.4ghz one's are a frustrating danger to be around and like said before you can turn the pot till your blue in the face and nothing will happen the Big Lama gives more bang for the buck.. Ray
Flight time is offline Find More Posts by Flight time
Old Jul 22, 2009, 01:31 PM
Turkey - Istanbul
Joined Jun 2009
145 Posts
My god my english is not enough for undertstanding.

Do you mean guys that i should tune something ? Or is it useless.

Big thanks to you all.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 01:56 PM
Droner
Joined Mar 2006
2,410 Posts
I checked the manual: http://www.walkera.com/cn/upload/exp...m400D_expe.pdf

It has two pots, sensitvity and extent.

Mr. Beachbum, you can tune the servos range of movement by turning the "extent" pot on the receiver in the helicopter.

Do NOT!!! tune the "sensitive" pot.

Let us know how it works out.

Sebastian.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 01:59 PM
Droner
Joined Mar 2006
2,410 Posts
Turn nr. 6 to +
Old Jul 22, 2009, 04:29 PM
All flight is 3D.
various parts of NY
Joined Jan 2009
941 Posts
Quote:
I dont know why but i dont like that things which dont look like helicopters. maybe this is a obsession.
If you like realism in a stock coax get a Lama V3. It's very similar in appearance to the original real life workhorse helicopter European Lama. It also sort of resembles the famous Bell 47. mechanically and electronically the V3 is almost identical to the V4. The bubble canopy is very light and the tail offers very little wind resistance. On the downside the tail is a bit fragile but it is easilly repaired with a small dab of glue or, can easily be replaced with a flexible tail. I've been flying one since January and I love it. It's a great little helicopter.

Oh yeah, did I mention I like realism too. As I pursue this hobby I hope to get into scale building and flying.
Lamedico is offline Find More Posts by Lamedico
Old Jul 22, 2009, 05:55 PM
United Kingdom, England, Gt Lon
Joined Nov 2007
2,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamedico
If you like realism in a stock coax get a Lama V3. It's very similar in appearance to the original real life workhorse helicopter European Lama. It also sort of resembles the famous Bell 47. mechanically and electronically the V3 is almost identical to the V4. The bubble canopy is very light and the tail offers very little wind resistance. On the downside the tail is a bit fragile but it is easilly repaired with a small dab of glue or, can easily be replaced with a flexible tail. I've been flying one since January and I love it. It's a great little helicopter.

Oh yeah, did I mention I like realism too. As I pursue this hobby I hope to get into scale building and flying.
The lama v3 is a great heli and if you like the stock look then get an xtreme flexible tail, they are indestructible. My lama v3 looks completly different now, IMO I never liked the the bright colours and the white xtreme parts were not a practical colour so I dyed it black. The amount of upgrades you can get for this heli is great.
malcr001 is offline Find More Posts by malcr001