Old Jul 21, 2009, 11:25 PM
Crash and Learn, Learn and Cra
Champaign/Urbana, Illinois
Joined May 2009
8 Posts
Discussion
Venom Parallel Charging Question

Hello All,
I just finished soldering up some wires so that I may parallel charge my thunder power 3S 2200mah batteries(2). I am using the Venom Pro Charger and am confused on one thing. I set the charger up for 3S batteries at 4.4 amps. The batteries charged and everything but when the charger read 4.18 for each cell it continued charging. It would go up and down per cell but never far.(+ or - by .01) It mainly stayed at 4.18 for each cell. The amperage on the charger was declining slowly but it got nervous. The batteries were not warm at all or swelling but I decided to stop the charging. Is this an issue or was it fine? I like my house and don't want to burn it down . Any light shed on this would be great,

Thanks a mill,
Corey
lillard2 is offline Find More Posts by lillard2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2009, 11:38 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,471 Posts
What you witnessed is perfectly normal for lithium chemistry packs whether charging one at a time or a dozen in parallel. Lipoly chargers charge in two phases. The first phase is constant current (or CC) phase where the charger puts out a specified current until the cell being charged reaches a pre-determined voltage (typically ~4.2 V). It then enters the second phase called constant voltage (CV) where the charger will maintain ~4.2 volts and taper current until current reaches a pre-determined value (usually about 1/10th of CC value) after which charge terminates.

Sounds like your charger and parallel setup is working perfectly. Being cautious and monitoring progress as you did is always good practice.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 22, 2009, 02:07 AM
Crash and Learn, Learn and Cra
Champaign/Urbana, Illinois
Joined May 2009
8 Posts
Thanks for the speedy response. I fell a lot better about charging now. Thanks for the info.

Corey
lillard2 is offline Find More Posts by lillard2