HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Event Review: RC Flyer's Unlimited Electric Jet Rally 09, Oakdale CA

Michael Heer attended this jet rally with cameras in hand and has a video review of some of the beautiful jets that flew at the rally on Saturday morning.

Splash

Introduction

I attended this second annual event in the warm California sun. I was a little slow in getting out my cameras or I could have shot a video of a full scale Piper Cub that almost landed on the RC runway. The weatherman promised temperatures in the mid 90s with just a mild breeze. He lied! There was a strong cross breeze going across the runway all day long. The mid 90s turned out to be 107 in the shade. Despite that, it was a good day with mostly very good flying and nice people with a great raffle prize and barbecue. Hopefully, you will enjoy the videos of some very nice jets that I was able to videotape. Thanks to TamJets and RC Country for supporting this event. Some very nice jets were flown but my personal favorite was the TamJets Sabre. It really looked scale.

Savex L-39 Albatross flown by Hans Bonwmeester.

Downloads

A-4 flown by Ed Putnam

Downloads

LR 45 flown by Tom Vessie.

Downloads

E-flite's F-15 patrols the skies with pilot Tim Cassidy

Downloads

A PSA Bae-146 is flown by pilot Ed Putnam. The plane has brushed motors and is approaching ten years in service.

Downloads

Nitro Plane's Eagle Hero 100 flown well but with an unlucky landing, piloted by Marvin Hoskins AKA FLYBOYTHA1.

Marvin got to experience a runway thermal with a strong gust from the plane's left to right during the landing. Knowing Marvin, I am sure the plane is ready to fly again.

Downloads

Tam Jet's Spark was flown by Mr. Tam Nguen himself.

Downloads

Bandit patrols the sky piloted by Ed Putnam

Downloads

JeTiger flown by Dick Andersen

Downloads

Tam Jets A-4 Skyhawk with pilot Tam Nguen

Tam donated one of these beauties for a special raffle.

Downloads

Skymaster F-86 Sabre flown by Tam Nguen and a few other lucky pilots.

Downloads

Conclusion

I hoped you enjoyed a view of some of the planes that flew at this year's event. My arm died holding the camera for over an hour, and the pilots didn't make it easy flying fast jets very high into the sky! If you’re in Northern California next July and you like EDFs, look out for it. The people were great!

Last edited by Angela H; Jul 23, 2009 at 06:36 AM..

Discussion

Old Jul 23, 2009, 06:58 AM
The Greater Bay Area
Joined Sep 2008
3,868 Posts
Yeah I'm Back And Ready To Go Again Mike , Everythings On The Second Genteration Eagle 100 Now
FlyBoyTha1 is offline Find More Posts by FlyBoyTha1
Last edited by FlyBoyTha1; Jul 23, 2009 at 07:25 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 07:21 AM
jean-claude Terrettaz
Carp, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2000
1,424 Posts
It's very cool videos, I noticed something came off( Nitro plane) 45 s ~ after take off, maybe this is related to the bad landing!
bidule is online now Find More Posts by bidule
Old Jul 23, 2009, 07:34 AM
Software always has bugs
United States, TX, Missouri City
Joined Nov 2008
261 Posts
Thank you very much for sharing your video with us.
MTDV is offline Find More Posts by MTDV
Old Jul 23, 2009, 08:22 AM
ohio
Joined Aug 1999
3,509 Posts
yeah something does appear to come off at about :49.

Runway thermal, looks like a good old fashion stall to me.

nice videos.
kevin is offline Find More Posts by kevin
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2009, 09:48 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,253 Posts
It was a small piece of monocoat or other brand of covering that came off. There was also a very near mid-air with a bird in one of the videos. Mike Heer
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2009, 10:01 AM
Current project: Electrolyte
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2004
5,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin
yeah something does appear to come off at about :49.

Runway thermal, looks like a good old fashion stall to me.

nice videos.

I've heard that keeping your airspeed higher and flairing lower to the ground makes those thermals go away.
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Jul 23, 2009, 08:28 PM
ohio
Joined Aug 1999
3,509 Posts
you heard that too...
kevin is offline Find More Posts by kevin
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2009, 09:47 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,253 Posts
Marvin didn't make any excuses. He knew he stalled. But his stall might not have been a disaster without the thermal that had just gone over the runway and the strong gusty wind. I do think they contributed to the flip and the crash. Again Marvin made no excuses. Just thought I should clear that up. The Hero 100 looked pretty nice until it landed upside down. Mike H
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2009, 10:15 PM
The Greater Bay Area
Joined Sep 2008
3,868 Posts

TamJets Oakdale Ca, Jet Rally (9 min 59 sec)
Old Jul 24, 2009, 12:22 AM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,947 Posts
Marvin, stick and rudder(lol). It flew real nice and smooth too. Great review Mike!
mpope1 is offline Find More Posts by mpope1
Old Jul 25, 2009, 05:46 AM
The Greater Bay Area
Joined Sep 2008
3,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope1
Marvin, stick and rudder(lol). It flew real nice and smooth too. Great review Mike!
I Know Next Time I'm There To Grease It All The Way It Slowed And Slowed Then Flip She Goes
Old Jul 26, 2009, 11:34 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
6,806 Posts
Marvin, don't worry about it. You saw my first three landings, right? The ones that made it on this review Dis -gus - TING! I'll be proud to make excuses Those were my first three landings in months!! But I still had a great time, and was especially relieved when I finally began to remember how to land shortly there after.

Thanks Mike for the review!

Hey, by the way, I think after you left that morning, you must have gone back into the valley, right? 107??? It never seemed to get really, really hot at the field. The wind was right off the water and we were all remarking at how relatively comfortable it felt at the field (felt like 95 or just a bit more, until 4pm when it felt like the heat soaked in finally). Aside from that crosswind rotor that lived right at the landing zone on the runway, the flying was great. That rotor either made that last ten feet happen really, really quickly (pushed you down) or it tossed you up and into a near 90 degree bank depending on how you hit it. But by the afternoon, the wind shifted and it was right down the runway making our flights (and landings) much more enjoyable!!!

Thanks again for the coverage Mike, let's fly again soon.
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 26, 2009, 02:19 PM
The Greater Bay Area
Joined Sep 2008
3,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie P
Marvin, don't worry about it. You saw my first three landings, right? The ones that made it on this review Dis -gus - TING! I'll be proud to make excuses Those were my first three landings in months!! But I still had a great time, and was especially relieved when I finally began to remember how to land shortly there after.

Thanks Mike for the review!

Hey, by the way, I think after you left that morning, you must have gone back into the valley, right? 107??? It never seemed to get really, really hot at the field. The wind was right off the water and we were all remarking at how relatively comfortable it felt at the field (felt like 95 or just a bit more, until 4pm when it felt like the heat soaked in finally). Aside from that crosswind rotor that lived right at the landing zone on the runway, the flying was great. That rotor either made that last ten feet happen really, really quickly (pushed you down) or it tossed you up and into a near 90 degree bank depending on how you hit it. But by the afternoon, the wind shifted and it was right down the runway making our flights (and landings) much more enjoyable!!!

Thanks again for the coverage Mike, let's fly again soon.
It's All Good Eddie My Man, No Excuse For Me It Happens, But You Know When People Aren't Really There To See For Themselves, They Say Anything. It's Like Seeing One Of Tam's Jets On Video And In Person On The Video The Jet Looks Small, But In Person And Up Close It's Close To 5 Feet Long, Then They Say I Didn't Realize It Was So Big.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 03:32 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
6,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoyTha1
It's All Good Eddie My Man, No Excuse For Me It Happens, But You Know When People Aren't Really There To See For Themselves, They Say Anything. It's Like Seeing One Of Tam's Jets On Video And In Person On The Video The Jet Looks Small, But In Person And Up Close It's Close To 5 Feet Long, Then They Say I Didn't Realize It Was So Big.
Exactly! That's why it's so important for as many as can do it to attend these rallys. We learn a lot from each other and learn to fly in a rally type environment. It's different when we are at an unfamiliar field, with unfamiliar landmarks and wind patterns and just drove three hours and aren't at our best. But it really brings out good learning points for us all to fly better next time and also is a good wake up call as to how much more fun and "real" it is to be with fellow EDF'ers than to float along in cyberspace, basking in one's own fictional mush brain soup. Best to get out there for real, live life and have fun with the guys! I know Oakdale was a lot of fun for me, I'm glad I had the chance to fly and chat with you all.
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member