HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2009, 12:44 AM
How you Doin?
USA, TX, Burleson
Joined Oct 2005
184 Posts
I have to send in my 9303. Did a range check and could not get past 8 yards I was lucky not to loose my whole setup on my maiden flight. Got out my old DX6i and got it back in the air today for a great flight for my 1st succesfull FPV.

So, when you get your gear make sure and do a range check as well as a flight with the FPV stuff off then turn it on and range check again and if all is well have a blast.

Man, I love this FPV stuff....just got to find more space in the house to hide the gear from the wife....anyone rent out small space in their house in the DFW area
Drakeremoray is offline Find More Posts by Drakeremoray
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2009, 02:22 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2007
2,530 Posts
Good one, must have been a blast i bet.

Keep all the new fpv gear and new planes in the house, and move the wife out instead, lol.
Wobby is offline Find More Posts by Wobby
Old Jul 22, 2009, 04:04 PM
Joined Jul 2008
402 Posts
Ok, camera gear is going to be ordered soon, as I have a lot of money coming in at once, from my job, and other misc work for other people. I have a budget of around $350 to $400, and after my configurations, I fall right within that range. Now I realize my radio is probably not too good for FPV, first because its been acting weird. It jutters a lot when the module pins are not bent, so there is pressure on the pins, and when I tap metal surfaces or the module itself too hard, it jerks around. Sometimes this can get bad, though with the bent pins, its not an issue as much. Though I will not trust this radio to FPV, and I would like to be able to use head tracking in the future. I'm thinking of finding a used Futaba 7c. Will the 2.4ghz version work just as good as the 72mhz version, in the ability to use the extra channels for tracking, and range? I am using 900mhz gear, so radio interference is not a factor here. If anyone has a good FPV radio for under $200, or $150 preferably, I will be glad to buy it.
scolen3 is offline Find More Posts by scolen3
Old Jul 22, 2009, 04:31 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolen3
Ok, camera gear is going to be ordered soon, as I have a lot of money coming in at once, from my job, and other misc work for other people. I have a budget of around $350 to $400, and after my configurations, I fall right within that range. Now I realize my radio is probably not too good for FPV, first because its been acting weird. It jutters a lot when the module pins are not bent, so there is pressure on the pins, and when I tap metal surfaces or the module itself too hard, it jerks around. Sometimes this can get bad, though with the bent pins, its not an issue as much. Though I will not trust this radio to FPV, and I would like to be able to use head tracking in the future. I'm thinking of finding a used Futaba 7c. Will the 2.4ghz version work just as good as the 72mhz version, in the ability to use the extra channels for tracking, and range? I am using 900mhz gear, so radio interference is not a factor here. If anyone has a good FPV radio for under $200, or $150 preferably, I will be glad to buy it.
there's a 7C for sale in the classifieds right now for $125.

I jsut order the damn tronics headtracker, which apparently can work with almost any radio (esky, JR, graunper, Futaba), even the lower end models like the 4ch's. I've got one coming, so i'll let you know how it goes.
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Jul 22, 2009, 11:22 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,665 Posts
Deluxe Headgear With Sweatband

I like the headgear ideal.

US Patent 5920371 - Versatile headband optical mounting assembly

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/5920371/claims.html

http://www.airgas.com/browse/product...&WT.svl=226499
scrape is offline Find More Posts by scrape
Last edited by scrape; Jul 22, 2009 at 11:33 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 01:05 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2007
2,530 Posts
Thats is IDENTICAL to what i've been doing/using, excelent.
Who whould have thought that was worth doing a patent on, lol

Couldn't get the link to work btw.
Wobby is offline Find More Posts by Wobby
Old Jul 23, 2009, 04:32 AM
Joined Jul 2008
402 Posts
Ok, So now I am making a final configuration for my video setup. My main concern now is the display. I can not afford video goggles, and I would rather a screen, so others can see whats going on too. After some research, I found that a lot, or most LCD tvs have a circuit that causes them to display a blank screen when the video gets weak and fuzzy. So I found a solution, first off TV used for an affordable price would be a bit too much for me, and it would be smaller for the price. I have two perfectly nice 22 inch computer monitors that I use. I want to use a scaler converter to convert composite to VGA, probably 1024x768, since it scales the best, as I have done some experimenting on my computer. The concern I had at first with this is my monitors are wide screen, but then I thought, if it will stretch a 4x3 aspect ratio to 16x10, and if I'm going to be using a wide angle lens anyways, it should only help make it look unsquashed. Well I put my monitor in 1024x760, a 4x3 ratio, and scaled it to full screen using the monitor scaling, and downloaded a good fpv video off vimeo that used a wide lens, and what do you know, it actually improved the squashing of the video a lot and made it look better. And I was amazed by the scaling of my monitor, I could not tell that it was not native resolution. I am going to drop $100 on a nice VGA converter, that appears to have a good quality conversion, I have heard a lot of the cheaper ones having issues with quality.

I plan on using an inverter for the monitor power, because it only accepts an ac input. Fortunately my monitor only draws 45Watts under use, so it will last forever on a couple good sized lead acid batteries, even with the efficiency of the inverter. The one I am getting is about 87% efficient.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 05:10 AM
UK
Joined Mar 2009
1,111 Posts
Scolen, sounds like you are getting there with a complete FPV setup! Didn't take long.

How will you transport the Monitors that you plan to use for the FPV display?
Also, out in the field, will you construct a mount to hold them, or use them running in the boot of your car/van/utility vehicle?
jetstreaming is offline Find More Posts by jetstreaming
Old Jul 23, 2009, 09:38 AM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Feb 2009
1,287 Posts
For another 130 you could have a pair of goggles scolen...
yellowcolorado is offline Find More Posts by yellowcolorado
Old Jul 23, 2009, 09:58 AM
Questionable judgement
Charles Town, WV
Joined Jan 2008
3,070 Posts
I use 27" sony trinitron. It's a beast to haul around but boy does the picture look good. You need a dark place to view it though. You can find old tube tv's cheap!
bracky72 is offline Find More Posts by bracky72
Old Jul 23, 2009, 11:23 AM
Joined Jul 2008
402 Posts
I would like to get a monitor for other people viewing, though I could just get a small 7 inch at that point. I just find it hard to justify the cost of a pair of video goggles. Are they really that good? Also the resolution is quite low on most of them. I have never used them, So I can not really tell weather it is worth it.

If I did go monitor, I would bring my Acer 22" computer monitor. It is very light, and would be using it under a covered table area we have at the field with a bench. We do not have any AC power, I do not think, so a tube TV would use too much power on an inverter setup with batteries.

If someone who lives near Bellevue Washington wants to come out to Marymoor field one day and show me a pair of video goggles, that would be a dream come true. Even if you didnt have video goggles.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 11:57 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,219 Posts
I use goggles and a portable Sony DVD player with a 7" screen as my backup
monitor and a view for spectators. However, I find people get bored with
the monitor very quickly and find the goggles much more interesting,
specially if they get to drive the head tracker.
I've actually been contemplating buying a second pair of goggles
for passengers. Need to find some that will work with prescription
or reading glasses and still provide a decent view.

I've flown the plane both ways now, and the goggles offer
a much more immersive experience, especially with a head tracker.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2009, 12:07 PM
Joined Jul 2008
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
for passengers. Need to find some that will work with prescription
or reading glasses and still provide a decent view.

I've flown the plane both ways now, and the goggles offer
a much more immersive experience, especially with a head tracker.

ian
I was thinking of getting a portable DVD player with a 7inch screen. Does your portable player do a good job at displaying the video, and is the size generally sufficient for comfortable use?
Old Jul 23, 2009, 12:19 PM
Joined Jul 2008
402 Posts
I called the company of the converter I wanted, and they do have a cutoff that makes the signal go to a blue or black screen when there's no or weak signal coming off the source. I found another one though that apparently will not do this, and based on the reviews from some different websites, its a great quality conversion. Plus its not some non known brand off ebay.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...335&CatId=1430
Last edited by scolen3; Jul 23, 2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 12:25 PM
UK
Joined Mar 2009
1,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
for passengers.

ian
Imagine that! Having TWO FPV Cameras on the Plane, one behind the other.
The front one is the one YOU fly by, for FPV.

The Second one behind, is for a spectator, who wears their own set of goggles, with pan and tilit) so they can just relax looking round while you up-front are "driving" !

Really would bring a whole new meaning to the expression "coming along for the ride"). They would become like a pillion passenger.

You'd obviously need a second Video Tx and Rx for this 2nd view, plus the electronics for pan and tilt on the plane. Extra gear and weight! Wouldn't need to be as powerful either, as it's not the primary FPV source, so if it did cut out now and then no big deal.
jetstreaming is offline Find More Posts by jetstreaming