SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 19, 2009, 11:32 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,731 Posts
Yippee!
Dumas 1940 Chris-Craft Barrel Back

Today my boat club had one of our fun runs and it could not have been a nicer day to go and play down at the lake. Because I donít get a chance to run a lot of the time with the club because of work, I loaded up the Suburban with some of the old mahoganies for some fun in the sun. One of the boats that has not have a lot of run time since she was completed was the 1940 Dumas Barrel Back that I had built a good number of years ago with some modifications and extra goodies in her. The first thing I did when building her was to swap out the plywood sub planking in the kit for balsa sub planking netting almost a one pound reduction in the over all finished weight.

Because this boat was used in competition, I also added running lights and cockpit lighting as well as a working horn for some extra points. Itís also a lot of fun to blow the horn at the spectators. The boat has all M.A.C.K. Products running hardware and power package in her instead of the Dumas set up for the boat.

It has been so long since I last ran her, I forgot how good she really runs. So to share in my fun I am posting some pictures of her running in her day in the sun.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2009, 10:14 AM
Petaluma, CA
Joined Jul 2008
229 Posts
Great looking barrelback Frank... After my 19' runabout i will be moving onto the triple cockpit barrelback, i love the look of her......
RussCA is offline Find More Posts by RussCA
Old Jul 20, 2009, 03:42 PM
Norway
Joined Apr 2009
9 Posts
A beautiful boat, and nice crisp photos
kjetilo is offline Find More Posts by kjetilo
Old Jul 20, 2009, 07:19 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,945 Posts
Beautiful boat. All R/C scale boats and planes need realistic people figures though.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Jul 21, 2009, 10:08 AM
Petaluma, CA
Joined Jul 2008
229 Posts
E-Challenged

On the subject of scale people for the boat, cna you suggest a place to get them as i would like to include some in my boats
Old Jul 21, 2009, 01:57 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussCA
E-Challenged

On the subject of scale people for the boat, cna you suggest a place to get them as i would like to include some in my boats

Other than GI Joe and other toy figures, I don't know sources. I found a jointed toy figure of the Fonz that fits my unfinished Sterling Sea Maid.

I have had some success carving, filing and dremmeling my own figures from hard balsa or bass wood. You can cheat using the Williams Bros bust for head, neck and upper torso. I draw the figure on paper and rough out separate pieces as follows: Head and neck, upper torso, upper arms, forearms, hands, lower torso/hips, upper legs and lower legs and feet. I angle the pieces to accomplish the pose to fit the boat or plane model and CYA glue them together.I fill gaps with model filler, etc and finally dremel, X-acto carve and swiss file in features the features. I paint the figure with matt enamels. You can make hats, sunglasses, etc as desired. You can find doll house minature binoculars, coke cans, etc to accessorize. These people figures look Ok to me mostly because I made them myself and they only take an hour or so to make.

Here's a link for getting a head made to resemble your own for a figure"

http://www.thatsmyface.com/

Here's a link to You Tube, shows making a head with "Sculpey". I have a son-in-law that makes detailed figures in Sculpey as part of his electronic game animation career.

Sculpting a head by chuck ferrell (3 min 55 sec)
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Last edited by E-Challenged; Jul 21, 2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 03:00 PM
Petaluma, CA
Joined Jul 2008
229 Posts
thanks for the info Echallenged