|Jul 19, 2009, 03:17 PM|
Lady Allison II Steam Lauch
I am just about to start the planning and building of my latest steam launch.
The Lady Allison I was recentlysold to a good home for a very decent price.
So far I only have the TVR1A engine which I have just finished fetelling and am going to run in on lubed air , Just ordered the displacement oiler and steam regulator for her.I intend to fit another accentric to the shaft and run a crank driven boiler feed pump from this .
I am going to order a 3 1/2 inch by 6 inch horiontal boiler from Mac Steam to power her.
Basic hull is on order , so when I have the plant together I will start planning the layout allong similar lines (but different ) to Allison I .
I am going to include the working wheel and gear rudder concept from the original , plus a few more ideas I have been working on .
More pictures to follow as I progress
|Aug 15, 2009, 04:33 PM|
Made some progress on the steam plant at last ( been in Holland for 3 weeks working on a rig repair ).
Turned up some brass cylinder covers to replace the nasty flat alloy ones that kept leaking. The new ones have a step built in to seal the bore better. .
Got the steam manifold made up and lagged with white cotton string, I painted this with white latex paint to seal it from oil and dirt ( works well , you can just wipe it clean.)
Got the lubricator built into the steam manifold.
Steam regulator and hand boiler pump turned up , as did the water tank kit.
Going to shine up the tank and clad it in wood , as I will the boiler and condensor tank when I get them.
Ran the engine up on my little airbrush compressor for a couple of hours, and she runs really well on as little as 5psi now.
Will be building the plant on to a base when the boiler and other bits turn up.
ordered a shaft driven water pump today to keep the boiler topped in use.
Cannot wait to fit that !
Still not decided on the superstructure style yet , gonna wait till i have the steam plant in one piece and sitting in the hull , then wait for insperation
|Aug 31, 2009, 02:33 AM|
Long time with no posts , but now I have made some progress with the steam plant for the Allison II.
Got the beutifull Macksteam boiler and gas tank , painted them with PJ1 engine paint and cooked them at 100 C for four hours to cure paint .
Clad them in wood allong with the condensor tank and fresh water tank , ran out of brass boiler banding ( which is why there are only 3 on the boiler more on order)
Made up a base to mount it all on from 4 mm alloy plate.
Decided to go for a textured sandblasted finish on the base instead of pollished alloy , as I think it will not show the oil so much , I like it!
Drilled and silver soldered the engine bearing blocks to fit oil cups for the bearings.
Still waiting for my crank driven boiler water pump to be delivered then this will be mounted on the crank behind the propshaft drive dog.
Started doing all the pipework till I ran out of copper tube , again more on order.
silver soldered turned brass brackets to the funnel for steam whistle and pressure releife blow off pipe.Turned up and soldered funnel finishers for top and bottom of funnel.
Fitted remote whistle valve between boiler and fresh water tank.
I will be using 3 channels for the steam plant . Forward/reverse , Steam regulator , Whistle.
Ordered my hull today . It is a 44 1/2 inch long , 8 inch beam Edwardian launch hull , which has a much nicer bow profile than the one I used for the Allison I.
More pictures as the project (slowly) progresses
|Aug 31, 2009, 09:28 AM|
Holy cow, Dunc. That power plant is gorgeous! I have drool all over my keyboard just looking at it. Please keep the pics coming.
|Aug 31, 2009, 11:08 AM|
Thanks guys .
I got the latex paint from a company called 4D models ages ago when I was building the Hood.
They are on the interweb.
I have nearly spent as much on this steam plant and the hull so far as the Lady Allison I cost in total , so she should be a bit special in the end.