HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2009, 10:32 PM
the lift is always in the sun!
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Feb 2008
386 Posts
Ray Hayes' Oly IIs is nice as a 100" model and does well with electric.....

Everybody but me bashed the Metrick...that's ok. By the time I got to the Metrick, I had gone through many of the Zaic Thermic series, a Hobie (another one either loved or hated) Gentle Lady's, House of Balsa 2X6's, Airtronics Aquila. and I don't even remember the rest.

Nearly every kit put out at that time were of lesser quality due the the "die -crunch" cutting used by most companies.

The Spirit was the next plane I built. It touted Selig foils and better cutting which was true. I am not sure that it did fly any better. The Metrick for me thermaled better. I still have the same Spirit in great shape but almost never fly it. In fact, after all these years of flying in Arizona, I have only recently managed to get to speck out in our monster thermals when any other of my planes speck out without effort. Those other planes of mine range from the Radian (amazing for the money), AVA-e, Topaz, and Saphire.

Back to your original post;

If you are wanting to build an older kit because you like to build and fly, I say go ahead. Build it light, add more dihedral (I think I did too) and use mini servos for spoilers.

If you are looking for a better kit of a newer design, Ray Hayes has good stuff ( I like the Oly 3 and the Oly IIs). Remember, bigger does fly better...
People are also liking the 2 meter Miles from Barry kennedy, the Marauder, and the Chrysalis 2 meter.

The Bubble Dancer, and Jack's Huston Hawk are also great, but are suited for the guy who really likes to build.

good luck.

If you are really going to toss the Metrick, Hmmmmm......
SUNSQUINT is offline Find More Posts by SUNSQUINT
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2009, 11:59 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,004 Posts
Hey, I didn't bash the Metrick. (or is it Metric?) I'll bet with enough dihedral it's fine.

I started to build a Spirit for our proposed club one design contest, not so long after it came out. After I had a chance to fly other people's Spirits, I stopped building mine. We could have had a great club one design competition if we had gone with the other possibility proposed, the Oly 2. But we were outvoted by those with less experience. I think these days you could just put one of those el cheapo rate gyros ($25 is the lowest I've seen) on the rudder and it would behave a lot better.

It's too bad they don't make the Majestic anymore. That one was a pretty good flier.

Aerosphere has some interesting plans, though I haven't dealt with them. I think maybe a Sagitta with a faster, thinner airfoil would be pretty nice.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 21, 2009, 05:24 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,099 Posts
I didn't bash it either! I am building my third, with a little more di/poly in the wing for reasons stated.
I love my first one, danced with a hawk that thought it was going to chase my out of the thermal I found first for 20 minutes one time.

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Jul 21, 2009, 10:01 AM
the lift is always in the sun!
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Feb 2008
386 Posts
My apologies to both Lincoln and Thermaler.....
SUNSQUINT is offline Find More Posts by SUNSQUINT
Old Jul 21, 2009, 10:44 AM
Amsterdam
Joined Mar 2006
197 Posts
That was my first sailplane, so I didn't know then what I know now. It was also my first stab at RC planes, but I certainly had alot of fun with the thing, air time and in lot's of places all across the country: Cal. Colo, Utah. Nev.(there I had it up one time for more than 6 hours during a very long picnic and really had a hard time getting it back down safely) Conn, and lot's of time on the east coast of Maine. So I was satisfied at the time and in all that only crashed it twice, both times in Maine, once against a big maple tree about 3 feet off the ground distroying a wing and once because of a radio problem. I'd be curious of what I would think of it now since that was 82-87 and my first plane.
Douglas Tarr is offline Find More Posts by Douglas Tarr
Old Jul 21, 2009, 10:48 AM
launch height can't fix stupid
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Jun 2005
1,223 Posts
I am building my third Metric and like it almost as it is. A lot of flying qualities is in the eye of the beholder. With that said, I did add a little more rudder area as opposed to changing the poly angles. Also, build it light for sure.
corsha99 is offline Find More Posts by corsha99
Old Jul 21, 2009, 02:11 PM
Joined May 2009
30 Posts
OK, sorry to the guys who didnt bash it. I suppose I could build it with some of the suggestions, but I would rather build something that everyone says in hands down a beautiful flying airplane. Would ailerons help the Metrick?
andrewmct is offline Find More Posts by andrewmct
Old Jul 21, 2009, 04:02 PM
Joined Aug 2005
2,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmct
OK, sorry to the guys who didnt bash it. I suppose I could build it with some of the suggestions, but I would rather build something that everyone says in hands down a beautiful flying airplane. Would ailerons help the Metrick?
Perhaps not, but at least it would be more fun to fly!
DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
Old Jul 22, 2009, 03:13 PM
Stealth Plane Works
USA, MA, Stow
Joined Sep 2004
576 Posts
If a plane flies llike a dog when built to the plans its a dud. I owned a Metrick that suffered from both the problems described above. Not enough dihedral so turn ability was severely compromised, and it was too heavy. Buddy John Nilsson had one and hated his too.

With more dihedral it may start turning decently, but it will still be too heavy. I would never build a kit. Too much work for too little return.

Anker
Anker is offline Find More Posts by Anker
Old Jul 22, 2009, 03:54 PM
Joined Jun 2005
40 Posts
As I said before, I increased the dihedral in the initial build. I also saved weight by replacing lots of strip stock. After flying it for a month or so I rebuilt the entire aft section of the fuselage into sort of a stringer/truss style like the Challenger. Yeah, I know it was way too much work but it did reduce the nose weight needed and it DID fly better.
Frunobulax is offline Find More Posts by Frunobulax
Old Jul 22, 2009, 05:12 PM
launch height can't fix stupid
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Jun 2005
1,223 Posts
I liked the weight of the metric when I had mini servos, 6 ch reciever, and a AAA pack in it. Don't remeber the AUW but it flew well. The only mod to it was slightly larger rudder. Now, I tended to fly in breezes and with large thermals. Easy to make large thermal turns in large thermals. At the weight I flew, it would penetrate well while heading to the next thermal.

Again, handling qualities is in the eye of the beholder. Yes, a stock metric wont yank and bank as quickly as other stuff out there but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. All depends on how you fly it.
corsha99 is offline Find More Posts by corsha99
Old Jul 22, 2009, 10:45 PM
TD- F3K- Slope - What to fly?
Cupertino CA
Joined Aug 2005
1,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmct

I also built a Metrick in "82 and still have it flying. I did add ailerons but they still needed a lot of rudder coupling. I would recommend a stiffer joiner if you do build it. It flys once a year to remind me of how it was back in the day.
Dale Thompson is offline Find More Posts by Dale Thompson
Old Jul 22, 2009, 11:59 PM
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,196 Posts
Check out www.Skybench.com www.MMGlidertech.com

Take a look at Ray's ' www.Skybench.com ' web site. you can get any one of about 5 different well designed and performing wood sailplane models for less than the price of an arf's pre-fabricated replacement stabilizers.

Also www.MMGlidertech.com has an excellent RES contest oriented sailplane kit for @ 145$ total.

john s.
jswain is offline Find More Posts by jswain
Last edited by jswain; Jul 23, 2009 at 12:06 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 01:50 AM
Huntington Beach
Joined Aug 2000
728 Posts
I built a Metric back in the day and donít recall any major deficiencies. It was one of my first gliders with a more modern airfoil so it seemed faster.

Andrew, if you decide to forgo the Metric, I would recommend Skybench. Iíve built two of Rayís kits with two in the rafters; good quality wood and everything fits.

and Rayís a nice guy.
Buran is offline Find More Posts by Buran
Old Jul 23, 2009, 05:17 PM
Joined May 2009
30 Posts
I really like the olyIII. I think the Metrick is toast. I can't sell it because the racoons wrecked the box and I would have to handmake a few ruined pieces. Sounds like it would be a lot of work for a marginal plane. I would like to electrify the OlyIII. Maybe the same setup as the Cularis?
andrewmct is offline Find More Posts by andrewmct