HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2001, 08:05 PM
Western PA
Joined Sep 2001
6 Posts
New Flier Tips on set up of Wingo

Hi ,
If anyone could give me tips on the Wingo. It would be a great help.I just recieved it today from HobbyLobby. Thanks In advance
Chesie2 is offline Find More Posts by Chesie2
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2001, 08:39 PM
Joined Jul 2001
351 Posts
Do a search here on the Wingo. I did just that, then I printed them out and attached them to the instructional manual that came with the Wingo. It's very important that you read the instructions carefully before you build. I went through it probably twice before I started gluing.

You'll only need the 5 minute epoxy for all your building. Good luck.
quietfly is offline Find More Posts by quietfly
Old Sep 15, 2001, 09:43 PM
Western PA
Joined Sep 2001
6 Posts
Finishing up construction. Wanted to know on the wing tips I was going to glue them on rather than following the instructions and Tape them on .Anyone have a comment or suggestion? Also on the motor should I start with the stock one or get a gearbox for it ? (Looking for suggestions)
Old Sep 16, 2001, 12:11 AM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,272 Posts
I glued the wingtips on with 5 min epoxy then put a single layer of clear 2 inch packing tape over the joint.
I went with the geagbox from the start. But I fly my Wingo off water only so wanted the larger prop and more power.
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
Old Sep 16, 2001, 06:06 AM
United States, CA, Burlingame
Joined Sep 2001
5,350 Posts
Few advises:

- Glue to black rubber on the wheel, otherwise, they have a tendency to go apart on landing

- Put some scotch on the wings, where the 2 parts are glued, doing lile an X on the top, and the bottom of each wing. Makes it stronger

- In the hole where you'll put your servos, add some foam to lock the servo into the hole, otherwise, after few hard landing, they would just move around

- when putting some velcro, to stick the cockpit, I found it easier to lock it from the outside

Good luck and have fun. When you'll fly it, you may try to fly it, as much as possible without the motor, using the wind and thermic (yes, it does work).
On friday, my wingo, who usually stay 7 minutes in the air, with the regular 600 mAmp, 7 cells battery, stayed 16 minutes, and I even had to force him to land as he was going too high, the engine turned off...
Patrick Plawner is offline Find More Posts by Patrick Plawner
Old Sep 16, 2001, 08:02 AM
MA
Joined Sep 2001
248 Posts
If the Wingo's tail assembly is anything like my Soarstars, your best bet is to cover all parts with 1 coat of packing tape before gluing together. It will fall apart. I've had all the parts break off, even perfect landings in grass will rip the tail apart. Ask me how I know, the epoxy is drying now...
f2racer is offline Find More Posts by f2racer
Last edited by f2racer; Sep 16, 2001 at 03:17 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2001, 10:24 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,946 Posts
Use 30 min epoxy to glue the fuse halves together unless the weather is cool. The 5 hardens too fast.
hoppy
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Sep 17, 2001, 09:02 AM
Western PA
Joined Sep 2001
6 Posts
Thanks to everyone for their reply's. I 'm going to reinforce my body with packing tape and my wings . I have to find the CG on plane and balance it out. any suggestions ? Thanks for the help Chesie2
Old Sep 17, 2001, 09:45 AM
MA
Joined Sep 2001
248 Posts
Here's a little advice on flying if you're a first time flyer... Do not hand launch your first flight unless you've got an instructor, or someone else who knows how to fly with you. ROG off short grass, dirt or asphalt will be much easier to control. If fact, if you can, try taxiing it around a little first so that you can get the feel of the plane of the ground and what it takes to track the plane straight on the ground before you fly it. Also until you've got your plane trimmed out, get ready for constant controls. You'll only need to nudge the controller to keep the plane aloft, but again until you trim out the plane (which you'll probably get after 2-3 flights) you'll need a lot of nudging. Also be sure to add a little elevator either with every turn, or at least after you initiate the turn. Again nudging the controls are your best bet, full rudder WILL result in a death spiral with your plane. Even just a bit of rudder tends to send the wing down quite a bit. After you use full throttle to get the plane airborne, turn the throttle back to 1/3-1/2 power (if you have the gearbox, 1/2-3/4 without gearbox). This should be more than adequate to keep the plane in the air. Also fly as high as you can initially. Any height above 40-50 feet should be sufficient to recover most issues. A mistake that most beginners make is that they try to keep the plane relatively low. It took me 2-3 flights with my Soarstar before I could safely fly the plane below 20 or so feet without feeling very nervous. Regarding CG, I've found that making the CG a little bit more nose heavy makes the plane easier to fly. On the Soarstar, I mount the battery about 3/4 inches from the extreme front of the plane.
f2racer is offline Find More Posts by f2racer