SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Dora Nine, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 07:21 AM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,752 Posts
Discussion
Home for the next 28 days and already off to an unforgetable start..

So get this RC Groupers: On Thursday, while I was out and about running some errands an amazing twist of fate, luck and whatever else happened to me. Long story short, I was driving by the local airport. As I passed, I noticed that one of the hangar doors were opened with what appeared to be a Extra 300 inside. Turns out after chatting with the owner for a few minutes it was actually an Extra 200. Also from the disccussion, I had previously met her over ten years ago at another airport with a different areobatic plane, a Zlin. Anyway, she had been waiting for a friend who wanted to go for a ride in her plane. Well the friend, apparently had some sort of a miscommunication with her and was elsewhere. As if reading my mind, she offered to take me for a ride. As you might have guessed, it didn't take much consideration on my part. As my luck (atleast this time) would have it, I had my camera with me for my wife to take some pics of me prior to the flight and myself to take some in-flight pics from in the cockpit. I hope you enjoy!

..and if this isn't already amazing enough, she has offered to take me flying again hopefully in the next week or two.
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Last edited by Dora Nine; Dec 11, 2009 at 03:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2009, 09:21 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Coastal Maine
Joined Jun 2007
857 Posts
Very cool John!
graphixman is offline Find More Posts by graphixman
Old Jul 19, 2009, 04:38 PM
Joined Apr 2006
161 Posts
Excellent write-up and pictures! Thanks for posting it all!

So, I have to ask the question "When are you going to start your Private Pilot lessons?"
NorCalPilot is offline Find More Posts by NorCalPilot
Old Jul 22, 2009, 10:39 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,117 Posts
Wow, what a lucky fellow.
Bet you will be camping at the Airport for the next few weeks.

Great pictures.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, MI.
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Jul 22, 2009, 03:54 PM
Chino, CA
Joined Dec 2006
140 Posts
John,

Have you got the bug now? Nice view from the front. Imagine trying
to see around you to land! Never flew an Extra, but because it is a real
aerobatic plane (the RV does sportsman acro) it is probably neutrally
stable in all axis (won't stay where you put it) and similiar to an RV (although the RV is positive in pitch). Was it real light on the controls? Looks
like you had a blast.

Tom
Chino Tom is offline Find More Posts by Chino Tom
Old Jul 23, 2009, 07:51 AM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,752 Posts
Tom, I've always had the bug to fly. I chose to do RC because I figured it would be cheaper. Given the amount I've invested in RC, the jury is till out on that decision.

Yeah, the plane is very much neutrally stable. And the controls were VERY light and very sensitive. Doing a simple alieron roll require very little stick movement. When I was flying it, I needed to be constantly correcting for level flight. I let go of the stick just to see what happened, and off the plane went flying with a mind of it's own. With all this being said, I could also see how the guys gals who fly these planes can excel with it too.
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Jul 24, 2009, 10:16 AM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,475 Posts
I bet that was a blast, John. I had a similar experience years ago in a open-cockpit Steen Skybolt. Very fun!

No expo! LOL!

Andy
dee-grose is offline Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 09, 2009, 11:42 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Coastal Maine
Joined Jun 2007
857 Posts
Woops.. looks like my lawn needs mowing!
graphixman is offline Find More Posts by graphixman