HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 08, 2003, 10:20 AM
Mr Mootsie
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,565 Posts
BBC news axed from UK Flagship vessel

Due to crew complaints about the bias in BBC coverage, HMS Ark Royal has stopped BBC broadcasts on the vessel.

Interesting.
Tim Jonas is online now Find More Posts by Tim Jonas
Old Apr 08, 2003, 11:36 AM
Melbourne, Victoria, Oz.
Joined Oct 2000
313 Posts
Whoopee! and thats a vote from a balanced audience, at least they were allowed to turn it off if they wanted too. So what really, they are in a microcosim, a bubble, and are such a small proportion of the audience that it is totally inconsiquential and even perhaps, given the role of the BBC World service, nonsence talk that this should even be an issue, Play them the BBC Home service and they'll all feel better.

hugh
Oneson1 is offline Find More Posts by Oneson1
Old Apr 08, 2003, 11:45 AM
Mr Mootsie
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,565 Posts
just reporting the facts, sir, just reporting the facts.....
Old Apr 08, 2003, 11:50 AM
Melbourne, Victoria, Oz.
Joined Oct 2000
313 Posts
Indeedy, much like fox news does . Although sometimes perhaps better sourced!

hugh
Oneson1 is offline Find More Posts by Oneson1
Old Apr 08, 2003, 11:52 AM
Mr Mootsie
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,565 Posts
Come on, now, Hugh! I didn't editorialize, I just posted the link.

just your humble correspondent.
Old Apr 08, 2003, 12:16 PM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,397 Posts
I tend to agree with the crew!

The BBC newscasters seem increasingly prone to talk before they engage brain. The feeling I get is supported by the 'dumbing down' of news reports by employing airheaded goodlookers who, before the war started, could hardly string two words together when faced with an interview situation. As a result they stumble and fail to get the best from what experienced interviewers would find no difficulty.

They use terms which magnify the fact they are ignorant of the equipment, tactics and geographical situation.

Sky News was voted Best News provider last year, and it shows.

Incidentally, we recently got Fox News. Is it really as bad and sensationalist as it appears?

Tony
Tony Oliver is offline Find More Posts by Tony Oliver
Old Apr 08, 2003, 12:18 PM
Mr Mootsie
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tonyo

Incidentally, we recently got Fox News. Is it really as bad and sensationalist as it appears?

Tony

Of course it is! That is why many of us love it.
Old Apr 08, 2003, 01:48 PM
Professional idiot
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jun 2002
3,119 Posts
We're getting a lot of coverage on this, not surprising as the Ark Royal is based locally. Interesting to note that there have also been complaints about Sky News now they have switched over. The issue seems to have been their rather speculative critical comments over the Sea King tragedy (based on Ark Royal) which is obviously going to upset friends and comrades, most people are going to get upset if hints are made that you are negligent.

It will be interesting to see how the bias issue pans out in the long run as the BBC is probably one of the few channels that is overseen to ensure it remains unbiased.

I agree they have dumbed down lately. After all they spell Iraq on all their captions with a lowercase i. I distinctly remember my English teachers trying to drum in the correct use of capitalisation.

They are under orders to make news more inclusive, There is still much of the populance who just switch off when the news comes on, that and the competition from the likes of Sky News means they have to change.

I must confess I don't see the coverage as baised. I do think at times it is a little speculative and whilst not critical it is questioning which can often be seen as bias. I personally don't like the 24hr a day coverage, there is often nothing to report but the channels all feel they have to say something so they get a little carried away.

I'm split pretty evenly time wise between Sky and BBC. Sky have the edge 'cos their large captions means I can leave my glasses off

--
Dave
wildpalms is offline Find More Posts by wildpalms
Old Apr 08, 2003, 01:58 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tonyo
I...

Tony
It's worse!
The "O'Reilly Factor" is as disgusting as Howard Stern.
Fox makes up news. And pushes non-news.
But it can be funny.
Sparky Paul is online now Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member