SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 03, 2010, 10:45 AM
UK, Greater Manchester, Manchester
Joined Jul 2004
357 Posts
Well it burned a hole in me so I have set it up this afternoon.
Viola! one 30mm fan stuck on a 10mm beam with blu tack, no strap.

I can imagine it being hard to get absolutely spot on but it looks like it will be feasible if somebody has time to play.

The beam could be made from balsa with a small diameter pivot pin to get even lighter and more sensitive.
Bob Blackburn is offline Find More Posts by Bob Blackburn
Last edited by Bob Blackburn; Dec 03, 2010 at 10:50 AM. Reason: details
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2010, 12:55 PM
Joined Jul 2004
357 Posts
I have just spent 30mins with the 30mm fan and it now whistles so it is not as hard as I thought it may be to balance the tiny fans.

I did take the opportunity to use Dons method and I must say the method works extremely well!

As usual with a balanced fan it seems to be moving a good bit more air than when I started.

Indoor multi fan jets now there is a challenge

I have added a picture of the rotor showing the three weights I have added to achieve balance.
Last edited by Bob Blackburn; Dec 03, 2010 at 02:08 PM. Reason: added pic of rotor
Old Dec 03, 2010, 05:52 PM
Eight Six Hotel Juliet
Chicago, IL
Joined Sep 2004
56 Posts
Bob,

Thanks for doing this - Know I know what to ask for for Christmas!

Bill
18DFlyr is offline Find More Posts by 18DFlyr
Old Jan 17, 2011, 01:19 PM
Joined Jul 2004
357 Posts
Notice

Balancers are free postage worldwide till end of Jan 2011
http://www.bobsworkshop.co.uk/outdoo...d-fan-balancer
Old Jan 20, 2011, 10:44 PM
Stress Be Gone
Snohomish, WA
Joined May 2000
3,416 Posts
Don

I'm curious about the weight used to balance the rotor. I know it is a putty and you gave a link to what you use but once you are done balancing, does the putty just stay there without having to adhere it in any fashion? If so, does it ever dry out and let go??
GBR2 is online now Find More Posts by GBR2
Old Jan 20, 2011, 10:46 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,280 Posts
I coat it with thin CA.
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2011, 04:09 PM
Joined Mar 2009
11 Posts
i too have 2 64mm edf 4000kv balenced by don just like silk sound even better when run as a twin
the big g is offline Find More Posts by the big g
Old Jun 03, 2011, 09:43 PM
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Joined May 2004
157 Posts
I purchased a balancer from Bob and within a week i had it sitting on my table. Works great , so far have only balanced one small fan that took about 1/2 an hour till i got the hang of it . Runs very smooth now i had spent an hour or so trying to balance it by trial and error and had it pretty smooth but using the balancer made it perfect.
Hope to use it on some 100 and 120 mm size fans in the future along with some small turbines.
Todd
TURBINE is offline Find More Posts by TURBINE
Old Jun 19, 2011, 07:49 AM
Fredrik Pousard, Sweden
Gothenburg, Sweden
Joined Oct 2009
94 Posts
I got mine last week (quick and excellent service) and sat down last evening and balanced my Alfa 60 mm fan. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! My main problem now is that I want to rip out all my other units as well
fege is offline Find More Posts by fege
Old Jun 29, 2011, 06:09 AM
RC Nut!
Madera, California, United States
Joined Oct 2001
1,122 Posts
Ok after giving Don $cash about the ptrice of one of the units.... over the last 1/2 year I pulled the trigger and ordered a Balancer. I am hoping I can get some customers at my local hobby shop to offset the cost.

Fun Fun,

John Fruge
Madera, CA
jfruge is offline Find More Posts by jfruge
Old Jun 29, 2011, 08:17 PM
Gliding like a rock!
Baltimore, MD
Joined Apr 2007
241 Posts
OK, I have a question here:

I just received my balancer today. When I set the support bar on the magnets the beam is propped up in the air by the rubber tubing on the screws at either end so that only one side of the support bar touches a magnet. Looks like the rubber tubing is too long on mine. I'm fine with trimming it down but I need to know how far it should be trimmed. Should both sides actually touch the sensors with the support bar resting on the magnets? Or should the beam see-saw a little? If so, how much?

Oh, and I like the new flexible light shaft that can retract into the unit when not in use. That's a nice feature. Could be refined even more but it's still way nicer then what's in the pics in the manual.

An easy access battery door would be nice too.
Oreo is offline Find More Posts by Oreo
Old Jun 30, 2011, 02:55 AM
Joined Jul 2004
357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
OK, I have a question here:

I just received my balancer today. When I set the support bar on the magnets the beam is propped up in the air by the rubber tubing on the screws at either end so that only one side of the support bar touches a magnet. Looks like the rubber tubing is too long on mine. I'm fine with trimming it down but I need to know how far it should be trimmed. Should both sides actually touch the sensors with the support bar resting on the magnets? Or should the beam see-saw a little? If so, how much?

Oh, and I like the new flexible light shaft that can retract into the unit when not in use. That's a nice feature. Could be refined even more but it's still way nicer then what's in the pics in the manual.

An easy access battery door would be nice too.
Oreo,

The tubing length is correct there should be a small amount of resistance to engaging the second magnet this is to preload the sensors.

Once a fan unit is mounted the magnets have a far easier job due to the weight.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 09:07 AM
How close are those trees?
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,930 Posts
Another new customer

Just ordered one of Bob's Balancers.

Friends are already kindly volunteering their edf's for me to 'practice' on.

How kind of them
Goody63 is offline Find More Posts by Goody63
Old Jul 31, 2011, 03:55 PM
Joined Jun 2005
11 Posts
To fege and you guys who have used the balancer,is the balaced fan sounding more quiet? What exactly is the big difference? Thrust, vibration, noise?
asficas is offline Find More Posts by asficas
Old Jul 31, 2011, 03:57 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asficas View Post
To fege and you guys who have used the balancer,is the balaced fan sounding more quiet? What exac
Yes, quieter and more power because less power is used or consumed to overcome the imbalanced rotor.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Aug 01, 2011 at 08:06 PM.