HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 26, 2010, 12:36 AM
Registered User
ESander's Avatar
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jan 2010
10 Posts
What are you using to measure the RPM of the fan, so the phase shift stay constant
ESander is offline Find More Posts by ESander
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2010, 12:50 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
The Don's Avatar
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESander View Post
What are you using to measure the RPM of the fan, so the phase shift stay constant
Combination of sound and I use a servo driver so can set to same value.
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2010, 07:09 PM
Registered User
Bob Blackburn's Avatar
UK, Greater Manchester, Manchester
Joined Jul 2004
357 Posts
I have on the bench a device for setting speed like a servo tester but it also has a stop start facility keeping the speed setting the same between stop and start.
Is there a requirement for me to make this available on my website?
Bob Blackburn is offline Find More Posts by Bob Blackburn
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2010, 11:23 PM
deltas are cool
AIR SALLY's Avatar
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,268 Posts
hey don do you need the whole fan and motor to balance a rotor? have you tried balancing the bell on outrunner motors?
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2010, 11:24 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
The Don's Avatar
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,280 Posts
Never tried just the bell.
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2010, 02:59 PM
Always optimistic
foxflier's Avatar
North of Houston, TX
Joined Feb 2005
288 Posts
I splurged and got me a balancer from Bob this week to play with. Just finished a 64mm for a F117 and it works great! Getting ready to do a couple of fans using Wickeds for my SR71.

Don or Bob, have you guys tried to do any balancing using Bob's unit on the XF fans? Would there be a way to balance those small rotors that don't have a nosecone?
foxflier is offline Find More Posts by foxflier
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2010, 03:18 PM
Registered User
Bob Blackburn's Avatar
UK, Greater Manchester, Manchester
Joined Jul 2004
357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxflier View Post
I splurged and got me a balancer from Bob this week to play with. Just finished a 64mm for a F117 and it works great! Getting ready to do a couple of fans using Wickeds for my SR71.

Don or Bob, have you guys tried to do any balancing using Bob's unit on the XF fans? Would there be a way to balance those small rotors that don't have a nosecone?
I am not familiar with the type of fan BUT I would suggest blu tack until you know where to add weight, Then replace the blu tack with cyno and accelerator.
then repeat the process until all the blu tack is replaced.

Don't forget if there is enough thickness of plastic on the heavy side you could grind some material off the heavy side allowing you to remove blu tack from the light side.
Bob Blackburn is offline Find More Posts by Bob Blackburn
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2010, 04:03 PM
Always optimistic
foxflier's Avatar
North of Houston, TX
Joined Feb 2005
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Blackburn View Post
I am not familiar with the type of fan BUT I would suggest blu tack until you know where to add weight, Then replace the blu tack with cyno and accelerator.
then repeat the process until all the blu tack is replaced.

Don't forget if there is enough thickness of plastic on the heavy side you could grind some material off the heavy side allowing you to remove blu tack from the light side.
Thanks Bob. Problem with the XF is there's really no nosecone to speak of as it's a small solid rotor. I'm assuming the only way to do it would be to grind some of the hub...
foxflier is offline Find More Posts by foxflier
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2010, 08:07 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
The Don's Avatar
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,280 Posts
The XF is a hard of to try and balance because there is no place to add the weight. Any weight addded, even CA that I tried all come off. The same is true for the 3 blade SF/Eflite rotor and for the same reason. The best you can do is try to drill a hole in the hub to remove weight much like they do on the Squall rotors which are scaled up XF rotors.
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2010, 04:38 PM
Always optimistic
foxflier's Avatar
North of Houston, TX
Joined Feb 2005
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
The XF is a hard of to try and balance because there is no place to add the weight. Any weight addded, even CA that I tried all come off. The same is true for the 3 blade SF/Eflite rotor and for the same reason. The best you can do is try to drill a hole in the hub to remove weight much like they do on the Squall rotors which are scaled up XF rotors.
Thanks Don. That's what I figured. Would probably be easy to compromise the integrity of the rotor particularly at high revs.

Regards
foxflier is offline Find More Posts by foxflier
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 01:29 AM
Registered User
Go4it's Avatar
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Mar 2004
1,121 Posts
EDF balance

Try using 5 min epoxy for weight. If you get it to heavy just dremel a little off until balanced. Works for me. I also use CA and have good luck with it. And to fine tune the balaning process, I use auto clear coat and lighly spray the bades in the correct area. Saves time not having to take the fan off to add weight but only after the fan is almost balanced do I do this.
Go4it is offline Find More Posts by Go4it
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 10:15 PM
Always optimistic
foxflier's Avatar
North of Houston, TX
Joined Feb 2005
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go4it View Post
Try using 5 min epoxy for weight. If you get it to heavy just dremel a little off until balanced. Works for me. I also use CA and have good luck with it. And to fine tune the balaning process, I use auto clear coat and lighly spray the bades in the correct area. Saves time not having to take the fan off to add weight but only after the fan is almost balanced do I do this.
Thanks. Good ideas!
foxflier is offline Find More Posts by foxflier
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2010, 11:16 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2007
223 Posts
Interesting thread. There is just one mention of balancing a 90mm , is it the same as a 70mm or different ie bigger everything
Carl
CARL SCHIMNOWSKI is offline Find More Posts by CARL SCHIMNOWSKI
Last edited by CARL SCHIMNOWSKI; Mar 21, 2010 at 11:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 04:58 AM
Registered User
Bob Blackburn's Avatar
UK, Greater Manchester, Manchester
Joined Jul 2004
357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARL SCHIMNOWSKI View Post
Interesting thread. There is just one mention of balancing a 90mm , is it the same as a 70mm or different ie bigger everything
Carl
Carl,
The principle is exactly the same and the standard unit does accept 90mm fans.
Bob Blackburn is offline Find More Posts by Bob Blackburn
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 01:59 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2007
223 Posts
Thanks Bob
CARL SCHIMNOWSKI is offline Find More Posts by CARL SCHIMNOWSKI
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MF 480 rotor balancing Olivier Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 2 Sep 13, 2010 02:00 PM
Sub-Rotor balancing on Corona Orion_V Electric Heli Talk 11 Jun 27, 2003 10:46 PM
Corona Sub Rotor Balancing ??? johnitahoe Electric Heli Talk 2 May 26, 2002 07:42 PM
Balance GWS EDF-50 Rotor GoEFlight Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 0 Apr 02, 2002 11:08 PM
Rotor Balancing WKoltis Electric Heli Talk 4 Nov 02, 2001 01:05 PM