HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2009, 11:39 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,940 Posts
Some will argue it is the same but not to me. I found statically balancing a rotor pointless because the whole unit which is rotor, spinner, collet, and motor all spin together and all contribute to the out of balance condition. Balancing only one items does no good. The hyperflow fan is a perfect example, the spinner is molded out of round. The fan can be balanced but adding the spinner makes it then go out of balance. So it makes more sense to spin it all assembled together which you can not do on a static balancer.
The Don is offline Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2009, 11:39 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperdyne View Post
I can vouch for Don's mad skillz! I ordered 2 of the 60mm fans w/ 4400+ motors w/ balancing and they are spot on! Better than I could do.

I throttled them up and not even a single scratch from blades rubbing. They sounded awesome. Great work Don!
Glad you like it!

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2009, 11:55 AM
Suspended Account
TEXAS
Joined Sep 2005
1,006 Posts
But can't you assemble the rotor with cone and adapter put together as one unit on the magnetic prop balancers, just use a marking pin to align things up the way they were positiond on the balancer. The only thing you cannot balance is the small screw that holds the cone on.
zach_dad is offline Find More Posts by zach_dad
Old Dec 31, 2009, 11:56 AM
Suspended Account
TEXAS
Joined Sep 2005
1,006 Posts
I guess the only fans you can not balance are fans that do not have a hole centered in cone?
Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:16 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,940 Posts
I have found trying to do all that was much more difficult in reality. For me the machine was worth every penny spent, and it saved me messing around for long periods with a mag balancer and still I typically had them balance on the mag balancer yet still shook when spun up so it was frustrating before and it is no longer. The main thing is it tells you where the weight needs to go so you just add or subtract weight which makes it go much quicker.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2010, 12:48 PM
On the Edge of Space
Exit 4, South Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,446 Posts
Is the balance service limited to your products? Could you handle motor/fan assemblies purchased elsewhere? I was thinking if we provide the box and postage both ways??? Also maybe with a caveat that if the unit is just too screwed to balance we still have to pay.
dLdV is offline Find More Posts by dLdV
Old Jan 02, 2010, 12:53 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,940 Posts
I have done a few for a few people, what do you have in mind? I did not want to turn into a balancing service for everyone as it can take a while to get one to balance and was intended to be more an extended service for those who are buying a motor and fan unit. But shoot me a PM or email as to wht you want balanced.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2010, 01:15 PM
On the Edge of Space
Exit 4, South Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,446 Posts
I kind of figured. Seems like a lot of work for $12.50. That's cool.
dLdV is offline Find More Posts by dLdV
Old Jan 03, 2010, 03:11 PM
Suspended Account
TEXAS
Joined Sep 2005
1,006 Posts
So how do you balance the rotor? I see you use the timing light mechanism... But I do not see how you balance the rotor?
Old Jan 03, 2010, 03:38 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,940 Posts
See the last photo in post #1 it shows the white weight inside the rotor spinner.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2010, 04:56 PM
Suspended Account
TEXAS
Joined Sep 2005
1,006 Posts
Since a lot of the time the hub or collet is out of balance as described earlier, do you have to mark the fan and adapter or collet every time you add weight and take it off? Seems if you did not put it on exactly every time you took it off it would continue to be out of balalnce. Took about 45 mins to get my rotor to balance perfect on a magnetic prop balancer, I had to mark adapter and various parts to align perfectly when I installed on motor. Would of take that much time I just did not have proper material to use for balanceing.. It made a huge difference, this was the first time I ever installed a HET rotor that did not rub. from the 4 wemotoc 480 rotors I have purchased all have been perfect out ofthe box with no rubbing. all the rc landers need balancing, Have not tried the wm400 yet.
Old Jan 03, 2010, 05:11 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_dad View Post
Since a lot of the time the hub or collet is out of balance as described earlier, do you have to mark the fan and adapter or collet every time you add weight and take it off?
Yes they are marked so the positions can be replicated.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2010, 03:32 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2004
261 Posts
Just placed my order for a new motor, fan and of course balancing service. Look forward to seeing your hard work in action in my F-18.

Cheers
damiens75 is offline Find More Posts by damiens75
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:36 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,940 Posts
All assembled it will ship out tomorrow
Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2010, 02:48 AM