HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 29, 2009, 10:49 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,171 Posts
nice ...what color is the blue monocoat? it looks really close ..model masters has a scale BA blue in spray cans .but i dont know if it matches the monocoat. looks great .
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2009, 11:18 AM
EDF Jet Jam 2015, May 28-31st
United States, MO, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,769 Posts
Hi Dan,
Wow, that bird looks great.

Dan Eaton
eatond is offline Find More Posts by eatond
Old Nov 30, 2009, 03:46 PM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
drop dead sexy!!!!!!!!!!!! got to LOVE blue angel schemes...im this close to doing my cougar in BA colors.
Thanks. I'm glad I applied this scheme, though I don't think I'll do it again.

The BA scheme looks simple, but it's not. I was surprised how much detail needed to be added to match the photos of the real thing.

Blue, yellow, silver, black and chrome. White, too , if you count the background for the BA crest.

Dan
DanSavage is offline Find More Posts by DanSavage
Old Nov 30, 2009, 03:50 PM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daren View Post
Very cool, Dan. The markings turned out nice. I'm sure the Lusterkote matches something, just not the Moneykote it's supposed to.

Daren
Thanks. I'm really happy with how the markings turned out, thank you very much.

Yeah. I even got two different shades of MoneyKote. You can't really tell they're different until you look at the bottom of the model. Then, you see that the fuse is one color and the wings are another. And, neither one matches the paint.

By the time I'd discovered it, I was already done with the fuse and tail feathers and there was no way I was going to peel off all of that. Luckily, I still had some matching MoneyKote for the inlet splitters.

There's a lot to be said for painting the entire model...
Old Nov 30, 2009, 03:52 PM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
nice ...what color is the blue monocoat? it looks really close ..model masters has a scale BA blue in spray cans .but i dont know if it matches the monocoat. looks great .
Insignia Blue. I did think about using the Model Masters paint, but the spray cans are really teeny and it would have taken at least 5 or 6 to cover the entire model. I didn't have an airbrush or spray gun, so obtaining some BA match paint in cans was out of the question.

I bought a new airbrush this weekend that Santa is going to leave under my tree, so I will be able to paint in the future.

Thanks!
Old Dec 01, 2009, 01:55 AM
Los Alamos, NM, USofA
Joined Nov 2000
3,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSavage View Post
Thanks. I'm really happy with how the markings turned out, thank you very much.

Yeah. I even got two different shades of MoneyKote. You can't really tell they're different until you look at the bottom of the model. Then, you see that the fuse is one color and the wings are another. And, neither one matches the paint.

By the time I'd discovered it, I was already done with the fuse and tail feathers and there was no way I was going to peel off all of that. Luckily, I still had some matching MoneyKote for the inlet splitters.

There's a lot to be said for painting the entire model...
You're welcome. I probably wouldn't have peeled it off either. It would seem too much like moving backwards rather than pressing on to more important things, like FLYING!

It really is looking very nice. While it is based on my prototype, it really is a different model; and that's a good thing!

Daren
Daren is offline Find More Posts by Daren
Old Dec 01, 2009, 03:03 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,171 Posts
the BA crest is the hard part...it look killer i like it ...i painted my Draken with 2 cans of MM ..but the Green i used cover very good .
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Dec 01, 2009, 03:20 PM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daren View Post
You're welcome. I probably wouldn't have peeled it off either. It would seem too much like moving backwards rather than pressing on to more important things, like FLYING!

It really is looking very nice. While it is based on my prototype, it really is a different model; and that's a good thing!

Daren
Yeah, the progress on this model has been slow enough as it is without taking a giant step backwards like that.

Thanks.
Old Dec 01, 2009, 03:24 PM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
the BA crest is the hard part...it look killer i like it ...i painted my Draken with 2 cans of MM ..but the Green i used cover very good .
Thanks. I drew it in Adobe Illustrator years ago for my A-4. It's got tons of detail that doesn't show up when printed at model size.
Old Dec 01, 2009, 08:03 PM
Suspended Account
Mokena,Illinois -United States
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
Congrats Dan!!! This one is another real beauty!!!!!! It looks killer in that B/A scheme. I hope your maiden goes well.
lavochkin is offline Find More Posts by lavochkin
Old Dec 01, 2009, 09:47 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,744 Posts
what..joe likes a BA scheme...say it isnt so!!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Dec 02, 2009, 01:08 AM
Suspended Account
Mokena,Illinois -United States
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
Yeah on a phantom or F-18, but not the oldies. Im not a navy fan, but an airforce guy so I am very partial to the Thunderbirds.
lavochkin is offline Find More Posts by lavochkin
Old Dec 02, 2009, 03:21 PM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavochkin View Post
Congrats Dan!!! This one is another real beauty!!!!!! It looks killer in that B/A scheme. I hope your maiden goes well.
Thanks, Joe.

I'm going to try to spend some time this week getting it ready to take out to the field for some real beauty shots and taxi tests. If all goes well, then the test flight may occur next weekend.
Old Dec 02, 2009, 06:29 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,521 Posts
Dan, your BA F-4 looks sweet! Nice details and covering. Looking forward to some in flight shots
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2009, 10:28 PM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie P View Post
Dan, your BA F-4 looks sweet! Nice details and covering. Looking forward to some in flight shots
Thanks, Eddie.

As I was writing the above post talking about test flight day, I got the butterflies in my stomach. Now, there's something I haven't felt for a long, long time.