SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 09, 2013, 03:44 PM
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
401 Posts
Thanks, turbo

It was the video of Dan's maiden flight that convinced me to go with this one versus one of the others out there. (Like the Eflite one, which has no end of problems and is way too heavy.) I tried one of the small foam ones, but that's like playing with a toy instead of flying a jet. It will forgive most anything and is not very fast. It's sitting on top of a cabinet, now, gathering dust.
Bob Hunt is offline Find More Posts by Bob Hunt
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2013, 08:12 AM
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
401 Posts
Due to a couple of minor financial windfalls, I was able to order all the radio gear yesterday. It should all be here by next Friday and I'll be able to do the final assembly.

Decided against panel lines. I cut some 3/64" strips of the various colors that would have been used, and laid them on the bird. They just made it look too busy. Maybe someday on a larger model.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 12:28 PM
Guatemala, Guate
Joined Jul 2007
290 Posts
Bob:

Your plane looks beatifull as it is.

Exellent covering job. Di you considered glassing it?

Please post a video of maiden, when you get all your gear.

Like the rush it gives maiden a new plane built by one.

Cheers

Juan
juanjulian is offline Find More Posts by juanjulian
Old Mar 03, 2013, 04:25 PM
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
401 Posts
Thanks, Juan. I decided not to glass this one so as to keep the weight down.

I don't know anyone with a video cam that likes to make airplane movies.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 12:41 PM
Los Alamos, NM, USofA
Joined Nov 2000
3,122 Posts
Hi Bob,

Where do you live? If you're close to NM, I wouldn't mind helping you out.

Daren
Daren is offline Find More Posts by Daren
Old Mar 04, 2013, 03:08 PM
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
401 Posts
Darren:

I live in Cadillac, Michigan.

The frozen, great white north, eh? There's still two - three feet of snow on the runway at the club where the maiden will take place.

Thanks for the offer, though.

Got a couple of the S bus micro servos today. They are enough longer (2mm?) that I'll have to do some grinding on the aileron servo mounts, but they fit fine everyplace else.

Got the gyro also (Futaba 430A) and it fit nicely into its little pre-wired pocket on the bottom, very near to the CG.

Sort of designed a way to put a braking chute in the bottom, just ahead of the nozzles. You can see some of the magic marker drawing there. I'm going to build it as a sort of drop in box first, to see if it works. Don't want to cut any holes in the airplane yet.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:04 AM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,593 Posts
Great work Bob. Phantoms are simply wicked!
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Mar 07, 2013, 06:21 PM
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
401 Posts
Thanks, Robert. It's not perfect, but it is pretty. This is the culmination of a 13 year old dream, to have an RC F-4 that I built myself. I built a prop in the nose one a long time ago, but it didn't work out.

All the radio gear arrived this week, and she's very nearly RTF. Only items left are to hook up the nose wheel steering and put some white covering over the aileron servo bays. Also gotta shim the battery box to fit the pack.

She easily balanced at the rear most recommended CG: 12 & 5/8" forward of bulkhead F9. (With gear up and just a touch nose down, for insurance.) This was with a 6S 4000 pack. (Turnigy Nano) Dan or Darren- any comments on CG? I tend to go with the aft limits on deltas as they can be extremely difficult to slow down for landing with a forward CG. However, I also know that aft CG can cause some serious dutch roll problems with swept leading edge wings.

How about initial elevator trim? I put in a few clicks of up trim from neutral, as deltas want some nose up to fly level, but this one, I don't know. How much effect does the positive wing incidence have?

Only issues during final assembly involved the aileron servo mounts and the elevator horns. I busted em all, so rebuilt the aileron servo mounts with some bass stock epoxied into place, and put some small GP plastic horns on the elevators. Worked out very well. No changes to push rods or anything, and all the controls are smooth and slop free.

I love the 8J radio and the S Bus system. So cool having only 3 connections at the Rx on a 7 channel rig. (#8 is still there for a braking chute, but I don't think that will happen.) I found the 8J very intuitive to program, and tossed the book aside after a few minutes experience. Being able to assign switches to channels is a new experience for me. I picked the biggest, 2 position ones on the left side of the Tx for retracts and gyro, so I can easily operate them without taking my fingers from the right stick.

The GYA430 was easy to set up and appears to work OK. I set the initial gain at 60%.

I have elevator travel at 5/8", rudder at 1", and ailerons at 1/4". I don't use dual rates, but have expos of 70% aileron, 50% elevator and 75% rudder. That's about what I use on my other three deltas, and they are smooth and easy to fly.

We've been having a lot of warm weather (and no snow) lately, and it's possible the runway is clear at my Midland club. I gotta email Jerry and find out.......
Old Mar 07, 2013, 08:52 PM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hunt View Post
She easily balanced at the rear most recommended CG: 12 & 5/8" forward of bulkhead F9. (With gear up and just a touch nose down, for insurance.) This was with a 6S 4000 pack. (Turnigy Nano) Dan or Darren- any comments on CG? I tend to go with the aft limits on deltas as they can be extremely difficult to slow down for landing with a forward CG. However, I also know that aft CG can cause some serious dutch roll problems with swept leading edge wings.

How about initial elevator trim? I put in a few clicks of up trim from neutral, as deltas want some nose up to fly level, but this one, I don't know. How much effect does the positive wing incidence have?
The model will fly well anywhere in the recommended CG range. Even at the forward point, the model should have no problems slowing down for landing. At the rear point, the model has no dutch-roll.

At the forward CG point you might need a couple of clips of up-trim. At the rear point, you will need no up-trim. In fact, that's one of the ways I use to determine the rear point of the CG range. I fly the model and keep moving the CG aft until the elevator is trimmed to neutral.

The positive wing incidence with wash-out makes the model neutrally-stable. IOW, it goes where you point it and doesn't diverge until it runs out of airspeed or you change directions.

Anywhere in the CG range you'll find the model smooth and responsive at all speeds with no tendency to dive when you bank into a turn.

Basically, it's a sport model that happens to look a lot like a Phantom. When you test fly it, you'll be pleasantly surprised at what a non-event it's going to be. You'll find it's a real confidence-builder that has none of the bad handling characteristics usually associated with the F-4.
DanSavage is offline Find More Posts by DanSavage
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:22 PM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,593 Posts
I did a yellow kit years ago with twin 90 schubi fans. I want to do another from the jhh kit with twin 80's this Time around
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:33 PM
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
401 Posts
Thanks, Dan. I'll take out the up trim tomorrow.

From looking at your video, I sort of suspected the Phantom was a great Phlyer. I'm still gonna be as nervous as a long tailed cat at a rocking chair convention.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:58 AM
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
401 Posts
The warm weather left, and the snow didn't all melt, so I'm mucking about making detail improvements instead of flying.

The canopy floor kind of bowed up during covering, so that there was a gap between it and the sill. Made the magnets less than 100% effective, so I added a little insurance. Very easy to use. Push and slide forward.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:19 PM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,496 Posts
Man it really looks good!
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Mar 13, 2013, 02:09 PM
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
401 Posts
Thanks, turbo. It only took me 12 years to learn how to cover correctly.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 06:08 PM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hunt View Post
The warm weather left, and the snow didn't all melt, so I'm mucking about making detail improvements instead of flying.
Don't feel bad, Bob.

This just means that you have more time to run around the house making 'swooshing' sounds while holding the jet over your head.
DanSavage is offline Find More Posts by DanSavage