Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:11 PM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,557 Posts
Hi Mike,

I haven't personally tested power systems at these levels, but the F-4 my brother Daren has produces about 2000w without problems. The inlet ducting as designed should be able to handle higher power levels, but you might have to use slightly thicker plastic for the tailpipe to prevent distortion if you go above 2500w.

Mine is set up with flaperons and it does help reduce the landing speed. You would modify the model to use individual flap and aileron controls, but there are no parts included in the kit for this modification. (servo mounts)

Dan
DanSavage is offline Find More Posts by DanSavage
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:32 PM
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
350 Posts
Since returning from vacation, this is how far the F4H-1 has come.

Wings glued on. Radome glued on. Intake ramps glued on. Fuse all covered.

When the tail feathers are done, I'll begin doing panel lines.
Bob Hunt is offline Find More Posts by Bob Hunt
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:50 PM
Guatemala, Guate
Joined Jul 2007
276 Posts
Looking goodd

cheers Juan
juanjulian is offline Find More Posts by juanjulian
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:21 PM
Los Alamos, NM, USofA
Joined Nov 2000
3,120 Posts
Hi Bob,

Your F4H-1 is going to be really cool looking when it's done.

Daren
Daren is offline Find More Posts by Daren
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:34 PM
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
350 Posts
Thanks, guys. Can't wait to fly it- looks like I'll be able to all the radio gear by early May. The snow should be melted off the paved runway at my Midland, MI club by then.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:42 AM
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
350 Posts
Think I'm gonna take a couple days off before I start trimming it.

I ordered the F-4 decal sheet from Horizon, as the sizes are almost identical.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:21 PM
Guatemala, Guate
Joined Jul 2007
276 Posts
Very nice...

Is seems you are almost ready to maiden.

Cheers

Juan
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:52 PM
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
350 Posts
Juan: I'm not even close to a maiden. I have to spend about $520 on radio gear yet: the 8J system, the GYA430 gyro and 5 S bus servos.

Did get the decal sheet today, so will do some of that later on.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:56 PM
Los Alamos, NM, USofA
Joined Nov 2000
3,120 Posts
Hey, it kind of looks like mine (except for the shape of the nose and intakes).

Very nice, Bob!

Daren
Daren is offline Find More Posts by Daren
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:15 PM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,557 Posts
I'll echo what Daren and Juan said --very nicely done.

You're almost ready for my favorite part of building --the flying.
DanSavage is offline Find More Posts by DanSavage
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:54 PM
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
350 Posts
Thanks again, guys. I do love all the little differences between the H-1 and the production birds. That Coverite neon red does pop, don't it?

Couldn't help myself, and did all the decals this afternoon. One of the little F4H-1 differences is only one ejection seat warning triangle per side, as they didn't put ejections seats in the back until either just before or just after the tall canopies were fitted. I don't know if they ever had a GIB before then. Not me, I'll tell ya.

I now have 2.5 months of making panel lines. That's how long before I'll be able to buy the radio stuff, and I'll probably need it all. I've learned a lot from Fay Stilley's books on covering, but have never made panel lines out of it like he shows.

Dan, this has been a great build. I can't say enough good things about the quality of the kit or the way the bird looks compared to a lot of other F-4 models out there.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 05:47 PM
Guatemala, Guate
Joined Jul 2007
276 Posts
Bob:

I replaced my futaba 9 cap with a hitec aurora. Very happy with it. The best part is the price of the recievers.

The futa ba 8J is a nice setup also, like the simplsitic look as it is not crowded with the switches.

Think the Gy and sbus is a overkill you can save money and buy more rx or servos.

Cheers,
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:13 AM
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
350 Posts
Juan:

I understand where you're coming from on radios, but I've thought about this a long time. I've been using three Futaba 6EX transmitters for many years- I think I bought the first one the year after they started making them. When Orange RC started making knock off receivers, I started using those. (About 1/3 the price from HK and work better, if anything, than the factory ones.)

Then I had need of an 8 channel system (for the F-4 and others), and after having used Airtronics and HiTec for several years (with serious problems that resulted in crashed airplanes) and having used Futaba all those years (with no problems that caused crashes), I'm sticking with the big F.

The 8J system is inexpensive, but the S-bus servos are not, although they really simplify the wiring. I decided to go S-Bus on the F-4 because it's a small model and there's not a lot of room for anything, much less 8 feet of extra wire. The S bus micro servos are also much better than the ones I was originally going to use, and I think the F-4 needs them. The GYA430 gyro is, I think, essential for a jet model, or any scale model war bird. The combination of paved runways (25 feet wide) and crosswinds is just too much for me, I cannot keep them straight during takeoff and landing, and after flying a heli for several years I'm sold on rudder gyros. After the Phantom is Phinished, I'm going to use the 8J system on my B-25 and my P-51 so that I can put a gyro in those, too.

Last, but not least, I needed a system so I can mix left and right throttle with rudder on multi engined seaplanes. (My next project is a 10 foot span Martin Mars, from Ivan Pettigrew's plans)

Didn't mean to ramble, but it was a complicated decision.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:30 PM
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
350 Posts
This came out way better than I had any right to expect.

I remember learning to cover, 12 years ago. I hated it. Didn't think it would ever work. Trashed a whole roll of white econokote on my first project, then switched to monokote and finally did it. All uphill from there. Without Faye Stilley and a friend (who got me into this hobby) I would have never gotten any good at it.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:32 PM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,211 Posts
Well done....Should look real good in the air!....best part is the plane flies great..I have seen Dan fly his a few times
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut