HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2013, 05:15 PM
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
373 Posts
I'll be starting the "S" shaped inlets soon, but thought I might add the other scale, F4H-1 type details now:

-In addition to the shorter, less prominent "schnozz", the prototypes all had a really long pitot tube projecting from the radome. Pretty easy to do, and to have it removable for flight. (2-56 pushrod and blind nut)

-The F4H-1s all had a fairing aft of the tail hook, which was done away with before mass production started.

Here's a better shot of the lower canopy line. It may not be perfect, but I'm happy.
Bob Hunt is offline Find More Posts by Bob Hunt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2013, 05:31 PM
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
373 Posts
Here she is, ready for covering. Can't decide if I want to put on a coat of finishing epoxy first or not. Would probably keep me from denting the balsa with the iron.

Couldn't match the S shaped, hooded intakes exactly, because the intakes on this model are big boxes, but I'm happy. You can tell it's an F4H-1.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:40 AM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,559 Posts
Very cool, Bob.

Yes, it does look like the F4H-1.
DanSavage is offline Find More Posts by DanSavage
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:32 PM
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
373 Posts
Thanks, Dan. Lovely kit.

A few scale details.

-Radome covered with Coverite neon red (my choice for dayglo)
-Pitot sanded, primed and painted bright orange.
-Canopy masked and painted with Rustoleum "winter gray". A bit darker than Monokote Dove Gray, but very close and the plastic likes it. Doing this made me realize that this canopy is not for an F4, maybe one of the Sig WWII? I went ahead and painted the windshield lines where they belong, instead of following the contours on the plastic. Once the flat black is on the canopy hatch, this will not be very noticeable. Canopies specific to the F-4 are very hard to find, and non existent in this scale.
-The early F4H-1s used NACA scoops on both sides of the lower nose, behind the radome. The "normal" avionics cooling scoops didn't arrive til later, so I attempted to duplicate the NACAs. Should look pretty good once I get some gray covering in there.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:37 AM
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
373 Posts
I'm really pleased with this.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:50 PM
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
373 Posts
Boundary layer air bleed holes.

I think I'm getting too caught up in this. I'm gonna go ride my bike.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:04 AM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hunt View Post
Doing this made me realize that this canopy is not for an F4, maybe one of the Sig WWII?...
Yep. You got me. I started with a Sig P-51 canopy, then stretched it to twice its length and raked the windscreen back to half the angle. Darn it if I forgot to shape the bottom of the windscreen to look exactly like a 100%-scale F-4.

No, this canopy was made for this model. As you've probably already noticed, there are other areas where the model is not 100% scale, such as the squared inlets and lack of area-ruled fuselage.

Actually, a true bubble canopy is undercut at the bottom which is why they're called a 'bubble' canopy. if you've ever vacuum-formed any parts you'd know that undercuts like this are very difficult to de-mold and usually distorts the parts which results in a lot of rejected parts. This was one area where I compromised scale looks for manufacturing ease.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:27 PM
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
373 Posts
Heck, I'm not complaining. It looks great. Like you say, that narrow bottomed windscreen on the full size one is a bitch to try to duplicate.

Got the wings all "edged" today and will start the big pieces of covering later tonite.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:44 PM
Los Alamos, NM, USofA
Joined Nov 2000
3,122 Posts
Your F4H-1 is looking great, Bob! You're going to have to change your sub-headline from Mustang Fever to Phantom Phever! .

Daren
Daren is offline Find More Posts by Daren
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:01 AM
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
373 Posts
Funny you should mention that, Daren. This past Monday, for the Cadets' Aerospace Education at CAP, I did the first biennial "Spooky School". Took in all my old, dusty Phantom stuff, including the bent gun barrel from the SU-23AA that ran away and beat the bottom of the airplane half to death when it shot the flash suppressor off. They all had to learn how to spell "Phantom Phixer" and "Phabulous Phantom", etc.

I really like this kit. I think it looks better than 90% of the F4 models out there. I'm thinking about putting some bigger triangle in the upper corners of the intakes, so I can make them look more like the original, but I'm afraid of adding restriction to the system.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:53 PM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hunt View Post
I'm thinking about putting some bigger triangle in the upper corners of the intakes, so I can make them look more like the original, but I'm afraid of adding restriction to the system.
As long as the filler triangles aren't too big I don't think you'll have any problems. As I recall the inlets are about 110%-115% of the FSA.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:31 PM
Guatemala, Guate
Joined Jul 2007
278 Posts
Nice build fallowing.
juanjulian is offline Find More Posts by juanjulian
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:03 PM
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
373 Posts
Thanks, Dan. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Juan- glad you're here.

I only did the outer panels today. After some prep, I'll start on the fuse.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:43 PM
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
373 Posts
After looking at the intakes for a week or so, I've realized where I went wrong. Had to add quite a bit of depth (fore-aft) on the upper lip, and a bit more to the side lip to match. This allows the upper lip to be convex (to forward) when viewed from the top, and makes it possible to get a nice round upper, outer corner, and now it just looks right when I compare it to the drawings I have. I thinned both inlets quite a bit, too, as they were kind of on the thick side.

Anyway, all the bumps are filled, and will start covering the fuse on Sat.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:27 PM
Joined Feb 2009
95 Posts
Dan,
Can the f-4 handle higher power systems. I have a 90mm setup on 6s running almost 2200w and an 8s pushing 3000w. I also have an 80mm system in the 2500w range left over from a Habu. I am also interested in your thoughts regarding adding flaps like the eflite has since we fly off of a short field.

Thanks for your time
Mike
picardn is offline Find More Posts by picardn