HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:18 PM
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
350 Posts
Made a lot of progress in the last 12 days, but all detail stuff except for the aileron linkages and horns. That was fun! I've never concealed linkages like this before, and I'm going to remember this technique. Don't have the ailerons installed in these pics, but when hinged up and pinned they work real nice, with no binding.

Made a harness for the retract system, and re did the nose wheel steering twice to get it correct. Lined all the wheel well openings on the inside with very thin lite ply so they won't crack when I touch them. All wing wiring runs into the fan bay so it will be accessible after the wings are glued on.

Made a major decision to get the Futaba 8J radio system for it. I will use only two of the 8 conventional channels on the Rx, for throttle and retracts. Everything else will be on the S Bus so I can run one three wire leg from the Rx to the elevator servo, and parallel connect everything else between those two points, using S Bus servos and the GYA 430.

The GYA will be mounted on the bottom of the battery tray, just ahead of the CG (the empy square hole). The ESC barely sticks out into the slipstream from it's position near the front of the battery tray.
Bob Hunt is offline Find More Posts by Bob Hunt
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:05 PM
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
350 Posts
I know she doesn't look much different from the prevous pics, but a considerable amount of thought and effort has been expended this week, mostly in making sure that I don't paint myself into a corner.

Did the rest of the wiring, that is, the Data Bus harness. I really like connecting one plug to the receiver and than parallelling 6 outputs off it. (Instead of running 6 separate 3 wire looms from nose to tail.)

The tail end of the data bus harness is hanging out of the fan bay onto the wing. The four connectors on it are for the aileron servos, elevator servo, and a drag chute release. (If I can figure out a way to fit it in. More later.)

Just forward of the fan bay, hanging out of the gyro opening, are two more connections from the data bus: gyro input and gain control. They both connect to a short leg coming from the main bus.

The third connector hanging out of the gyro opening is the output from the gyro. It splits in two, one part going forward to the nose wheel steering servo, the other running aft to the rudder servo.

None of the wiring has been secured. I'll be doing that after I get the rudder and elevator linkages made.

Decided to put heavy fillets in the lower corners of the stab assembly so I won't have to use glass cloth. (Fillets are 50/50 epoxy and milled glass) Used the same mixture to glue the stabs onto the center platform, so everything is quite rigid. Made more rigid by adding 1/8 ply reinforcements to the bottom of the stab platform so that I could use blind nuts above it and hold it on with three machine screws. Will probably also pin the fin on from the sides, some how, so it will be removable. Haven't got that far yet.

Soldered a washer onto the rudder torque rod, and the little nylon connector is free to rotate on it and is held on with a collar. That way the connector can move freely and won't get bound up by the clevis due to angle changes caused by the slanted torque rod. Fired the steering system up and everything works real nice. Right nose wheel and right rudder at the same time, yippee!!
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:18 PM
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
350 Posts
All the mechanical installations have now been done, tested, and removed so that I can finish the fuse. My goal with all of that was to have everything replaceable in case of a problem down the road.

The wiring has been neated up and secured to the bulkheads with zip ties. (I really like having only three connections at the Rx with an 8 channel system.)

From here on out it's all sheeting, gluing, shaping, sanding and covering, as I won't be able to buy the radio system until late next spring. I plan to cover all the pieces before gluing or bolting them onto the fuse.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:43 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,561 Posts
bob thats looking great! one of these days when i decide to build a wood kit, im going to do this one. building from balsa is alot of fun, and i have been having the balsa itch lately..
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:49 PM
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
350 Posts
You'll like this one, guy. Everything fits together really well, and lots of thought given to the various construction challenges.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 05:49 AM
RC Lovesick
Iran, Alborz, Meshkindasht
Joined Jan 2010
110 Posts
hi guys

I'm curious to know if the plan for the f-4 is complete for the body(except the nose cone and such other parts)?
can i finish the body structure with it?
thanks

p.s. is there any plan like that for the su-27? i like this plane
Captain_ali is offline Find More Posts by Captain_ali
Old Jan 05, 2013, 08:24 AM
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
350 Posts
yeah, the plan has all the bulkhead patterns, etc. Same with wing ribs et al. Dan intended that a builder could buy only the plans if he wanted to make one from scratch. That option is shown on the website.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:13 AM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_ali View Post
hi guys

I'm curious to know if the plan for the f-4 is complete for the body(except the nose cone and such other parts)?
can i finish the body structure with it?
thanks

p.s. is there any plan like that for the su-27? i like this plane
The plans you purchase from MAN contains a complete parts set except for molded parts such as nose cone, canopy and tail cone.

I do not offer Su-27 plans.
DanSavage is offline Find More Posts by DanSavage
Old Jan 05, 2013, 11:45 AM
RC Lovesick
Joined Jan 2010
110 Posts
thanks for your reply buddies

Bob, i forgot to say that i mean for the plan on the website, there is laser cuted kit on the website for sale and you also can find a plan for that f-4 too. that's why i asked this question

Dan, i'm going to find something for free, nowdays these sanctions don't alow us to have such activities on the web. i wonder why you dont suggest your su-27, i saw its photos on your website. that's so beautiful and looks a good scale model
Old Jan 05, 2013, 12:05 PM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,550 Posts
Quote:
thanks for your reply buddies

Bob, i forgot to say that i mean for the plan on the website, there is laser cuted kit on the website for sale and you also can find a plan for that f-4 too. that's why i asked this question

Dan, i'm going to find something for free, nowdays these sanctions don't alow us to have such activities on the web. i wonder why you dont suggest your su-27, i saw its photos on your website. that's so beautiful and looks a good scale model
If you want to buy a set of plans that has the parts templates, you'll need to buy them from Model Airplane News. (See: F-4 Phantom II)

The plans on my web site are the same as those included in the kit, which do not need parts templates because all the parts are already in the kit.

Thanks for the kind words about the Su-27.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:05 AM
RC Lovesick
Joined Jan 2010
110 Posts
thanks Dan
anyway, there is some templates on the f-4 plan which is on the website and i asked about it.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 05:53 PM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,550 Posts
Quote:
thanks Dan
anyway, there is some templates on the f-4 plan which is on the website and i asked about it.
You're welcome.

FWIW, the only templates, per se, shown in the plans on the web site are for the inlet ducts, tail pipe and wire landing gear.

The wings/bulkheads are only cross-sections.

While you could build a model from these, there are a lot of missing parts such as building jigs, wing spars, servo mounts, etc.

Also, keep in mind that the parts, such as the cockpit hatch and horizontal tail feathers have been scaled to fit the top/side views and do not represent the actual size/shape of the parts.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:24 PM
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
350 Posts
Got the fuse all sheeted and decided to make the big test to determine whether, in fact, I'll be able to make this into an F4H-1. Pinned the canopy against the plans (on the wall) and re-drew the bottom of it so that the top would be parallel to the spine of the aircraft, rather than "humping" up like the Navy made McDonnell do it. A few snips of the scissors later, and it appears to work.

Decided to model it after the first F4H-1 that flew on 27 May 1958, tail number 142259. (After it got repainted so that it had a dayglo tail section and wingtips)

Captain ali- you should try to get this kit. You'd really love the way it goes together.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 12:25 AM
RC Lovesick
Joined Jan 2010
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSavage View Post
You're welcome.

FWIW, the only templates, per se, shown in the plans on the web site are for the inlet ducts, tail pipe and wire landing gear.

The wings/bulkheads are only cross-sections.

While you could build a model from these, there are a lot of missing parts such as building jigs, wing spars, servo mounts, etc.

Also, keep in mind that the parts, such as the cockpit hatch and horizontal tail feathers have been scaled to fit the top/side views and do not represent the actual size/shape of the parts.
thanks for your explanations Dan, i was going to start from the uploaded plan on website
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:19 AM
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
350 Posts
Got on a roll this past weekend and here she is. Only the inlets remain to be constructed, then it's time to finish and cover.

To get the F4H-1 look, I sanded B1A down to about 3" OD, pushed it into the radome as far as it would go (about 1/2") and then cut the radome off shorter at that point. To get the "S" curve shape on the inlets, I'll just have to turn I3 and I4 around backwards.