SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 07, 2012, 01:09 PM
Joined Feb 2012
10 Posts
I have this kit and am planning on starting on it as soon as I finish my JHH F-14 Tomcat. I plan on adding an airfoiled full-flying horizontal stab, an airfoiled vertical stab, split the ailerons in half to add scale flaps and ailerons, Robart landing gear covers and gear doors. Anybody out there who knows what kind of airfoils I need for the horizontal and vertical stabs? The full size bird has an inverted airfoil on the horizontal.
jhanson74 is offline Find More Posts by jhanson74
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2012, 04:34 PM
Los Alamos, NM, USofA
Joined Nov 2000
3,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhanson74 View Post
I have this kit and am planning on starting on it as soon as I finish my JHH F-14 Tomcat. I plan on adding an airfoiled full-flying horizontal stab, an airfoiled vertical stab, split the ailerons in half to add scale flaps and ailerons, Robart landing gear covers and gear doors. Anybody out there who knows what kind of airfoils I need for the horizontal and vertical stabs? The full size bird has an inverted airfoil on the horizontal.
I think the Reynolds numbers are so small it won't matter too much what airfoil is used. I used a thinned Clark-Y that Dan called out for on the horizontal stab and streamlined the vertical stab.

I believe the full-sized F-4 has a dropped (raised?) leading edge on the horizontal stab.

Daren
Daren is offline Find More Posts by Daren
Old Mar 07, 2012, 08:53 PM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,566 Posts
Quote:
Wow! That's quite a list of things to do. The model should look terrific when you're done. After building mine, I realized I would have been happier with the design with separate ailerons and flaps.

Keep in mind that when I was designing this model I made no effort to replicate the scale thickness of the full-size tail feathers. I did sand an inverted Clark-Y airfoil onto my horizontal stab, but as Daren suggests, the Reynold's numbers make this practically moot. I did streamline the vertical fin by sanding it to an airfoil profile.

Dan
DanSavage is offline Find More Posts by DanSavage
Old Mar 09, 2012, 11:27 AM
Joined Feb 2012
10 Posts
Dan, you are absolutely right. I never thought about the Reynolds numbers. Either way, with all of the other additions to the kit and a VF-96 fighting falcons "Showtime 100" paint job, it should be pretty cool. If I have the time, maybe even some armament for static display.
jhanson74 is offline Find More Posts by jhanson74
Old Mar 09, 2012, 06:35 PM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,566 Posts
Quote:
Dan, you are absolutely right. I never thought about the Reynolds numbers. Either way, with all of the other additions to the kit and a VF-96 fighting falcons "Showtime 100" paint job, it should be pretty cool. If I have the time, maybe even some armament for static display.
I agree. With the mods you've got planned, and with that paint job it should look pretty cool when you're done.
Old May 08, 2012, 01:24 PM
Joined Oct 2004
171 Posts
power package?

Hi guys,

I would like to try a Tamjets system in this F-4, does anyone have any suggestions? I am a noob in case you did not guess it.

Thanks

Matt

PS a plus would be a system that would also work in a Habu 32
mr_matt_II is offline Find More Posts by mr_matt_II
Old May 08, 2012, 04:35 PM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_matt_II View Post
Hi guys,

I would like to try a Tamjets system in this F-4, does anyone have any suggestions? I am a noob in case you did not guess it.

Thanks

Matt

PS a plus would be a system that would also work in a Habu 32
Which Tam-fan were you thinking of using?

Since the Habu is designed for an 80mm fan, the only way to use the same power system in both would be to modify this one to accept an 80mm fan instead of a 90mm/3-1/2" fan.
Old May 08, 2012, 06:01 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,793 Posts
you cant beat Tams 90mm wemo rotored fan there sweet very fast and sound nice too.
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old May 08, 2012, 06:33 PM
Joined Oct 2004
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSavage View Post
Which Tam-fan were you thinking of using?

Since the Habu is designed for an 80mm fan, the only way to use the same power system in both would be to modify this one to accept an 80mm fan instead of a 90mm/3-1/2" fan.

If that mod is not wise I would stick with 90 MM. Any recommendations for the 90mm/motor configuration?

I guess the trade off is the number of cells versus all up weight.
mr_matt_II is offline Find More Posts by mr_matt_II
Old May 08, 2012, 09:21 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,793 Posts
also im having great luck with the Jet fan 90mm they really sound good and cost a lot less and are made in Germany . lots of fan choices out there .Teh Efflux 90mm fans are nice too .
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old May 09, 2012, 11:05 AM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,566 Posts
I don't think you'd have any problems as long as you are careful to make the ducting fair smoothly to the fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_matt_II View Post
If that mod is not wise I would stick with 90 MM. Any recommendations for the 90mm/motor configuration?
Old May 09, 2012, 06:26 PM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,505 Posts
Matt these are really smooth running fans they come built and balanced.

http://www.jepe.org/fan/fan.htm
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Jun 05, 2012, 10:43 AM
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
385 Posts
Well, I did it. Ordered one of these from Dan today. I'm going to do it up like the orange and gray drones on this site:

http://www.f-4.nl/navy1.html#

I've got a brand new RCLander 90mm aluminum unit that's supposed to develop 7 pounds of thrust on a 6S. I'll use that and install the eflite electric retracts. I've got a bunch of S3115 servos. Same torque as the HS82s, and much better centering and smoothness. (IMHO)

With that killer EDF, I should be able to cruise around all day at half throttle on a 6S 4000 pack. I may not need all that, so I think I'll do some testing using a 5S 3000 pack.

I was a Phantom Phixer (C's and D's) for 15 years in the Air Guard, and I just can't get the F-4 out of my system. I've had plenty of delta wing RC experience the last three years or so, and feel like I might be ready.
Bob Hunt is offline Find More Posts by Bob Hunt
Old Jun 05, 2012, 01:58 PM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,566 Posts
I got the order, Bob. Thanks! I should be shipping the kit out first thing tomorrow morning.

It should have pretty sparkling performance with the power package you've selected.

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hunt View Post
Well, I did it. Ordered one of these from Dan today. I'm going to do it up like the orange and gray drones on this site:

http://www.f-4.nl/navy1.html#

I've got a brand new RCLander 90mm aluminum unit that's supposed to develop 7 pounds of thrust on a 6S. I'll use that and install the eflite electric retracts. I've got a bunch of S3115 servos. Same torque as the HS82s, and much better centering and smoothness. (IMHO)

With that killer EDF, I should be able to cruise around all day at half throttle on a 6S 4000 pack. I may not need all that, so I think I'll do some testing using a 5S 3000 pack.

I was a Phantom Phixer (C's and D's) for 15 years in the Air Guard, and I just can't get the F-4 out of my system. I've had plenty of delta wing RC experience the last three years or so, and feel like I might be ready.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 03:27 PM
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
385 Posts
Dan:

Went downstairs and cleaned off my glass top real good, and printed out the first ten pages of the book.

Is it ok to post my build here?
Bob Hunt is offline Find More Posts by Bob Hunt