Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 01, 2011, 02:44 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
good stuff. thanks for the explanation Dan and thanks Fuzz, for the info about the pivot tool.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2011, 03:47 PM
michigan jet guy
USA, MI, Caledonia
Joined Jul 2007
1,070 Posts
jeez never over 50% guess i will go with a 6904 i thought it would have been pretty close to full on some of those passes. A 70 is more pocket book friendly anyways. I'm planning on putting the airframe on a diet like i said. I think alot of the ply can be replaced in areas. so with those weight savings and the fact that you had power to spare i'm definatly going to go with the 6904. I can always replace later if i want to. The 6904 will get me in the air quicker that is for sure. After cutting some of this out i'm just tempted to order the short kit. Phil
mrshea is offline Find More Posts by mrshea
Old Oct 01, 2011, 05:40 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,293 Posts
One thing for sure, the short kit will get you building much sooner, Phil.

Here's the mtr I'm using: http://lightflightrc.com/HTML/produc...-28-47-1.5.htm
ESC: http://www.quantumhobby.com/ZTW_60A_...ztw60asbec.htm
And a good 30-45C 5s 3000Mah pack. Amps run 56A @ 1075-1100W And this can be used up to 6s, but you will need a larger ESC. Rolled mylar exaust tube at 56mm, made slightly oval with glass exaust from Dan the "Don".

One thing to note, some ARC motors are now coming with 4mm shafts. You may want to ask at Lightflight which ones they have available at the moment. The 6904 comes both 3.17 and 4mm.

I can either send you the intake molds( they are not permenant molds, but covered in packing tape, these leave faint ridges in the ducts that have no effect on flow) or I can lay up a set for you, if you have never done this before. PM me and I'll give you a price, not expensive. Or you can use the stock ones Dan uses, and just resize the fan end to fit. Larry Dudeck did this on his 70mm version.

My ducting leaves a 1/8" gap at the fan between the two ducts. This allows the fan to draw air through the fuselage for cooling(makes the fuselage a low pressure vessel) from NACA inlets in the nose.

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Oct 01, 2011, 05:46 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
good stuff. thanks for the explanation Dan and thanks Fuzz, for the info about the pivot tool.
No problem, Rich. I should explain, that you cannot really balance the stab on the dowel. But when balanced, it will either tilt one way or the other when correct. I stick a pin through the MAC point into the 1/8" dowel, so it remains at the MAC point when pivoting. I have never tried it, but sanding the dowel to an oval shape, on one side, may make it easier.

Fuzz
Old Oct 01, 2011, 06:27 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
makes sense Fuzz. gonna try that when I build the stabs for the Jaguar this winter.

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Oct 02, 2011, 10:48 AM
michigan jet guy
USA, MI, Caledonia
Joined Jul 2007
1,070 Posts
that sounds great fuzz. I'v laid parts up before did you use epoxy resin or polyester resin? Believe i'm gonna start ordering bit's and piece's here real soon. So pm me fuzz and we'll see what we can work out . Starting to get excited about this one. Phil
Old Oct 25, 2011, 09:25 AM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,455 Posts
Recently I stripped all the usable hardware from my F4, knowing full well it would never be rebuilt.

Rather than toss the air frame when I decided to "re-assemble" her using duct tape and Duco cement.

My F4 is now a hanger queen.
Larry Dudeck is offline Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck
Old Oct 25, 2011, 11:43 AM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Dudeck View Post
My F4 is now a hanger queen.
I've got a few of those, too.
DanSavage is offline Find More Posts by DanSavage
Old Oct 25, 2011, 12:41 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,293 Posts
I've got a few of those, brand new!

Fuzz
Old Dec 13, 2011, 05:57 PM
United States, WA, Centralia
Joined Sep 2010
35 Posts
Dan,

Thanks for the info. I have bookmarked this thread and I am working on reading through it. I thought you might have a thread on the F4, but I didn't find it the other night when I went looking for it. I am currently building a Goldberg Extra 300, when that is done I am seriously thinking about making this my next project.

John.
miltoes58 is offline Find More Posts by miltoes58
Old Dec 13, 2011, 08:29 PM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,547 Posts
Hi John,

You're welcome. If you like building your own models, you'll enjoy this one.

And, once it's done you'll enjoy flying it even more.

I've been flying mine almost every weekend since I built it and I still have lots of fun with it.

Dan
Old Jan 22, 2012, 07:25 AM
michigan jet guy
USA, MI, Caledonia
Joined Jul 2007
1,070 Posts
dan Excelent article in electric flyer this month. I just ordered a second set of plans from them and as soon as get all pieces cut out will start posting. Thanks for the great plane. Phil
Old Jan 22, 2012, 04:20 PM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshea View Post
dan Excelent article in electric flyer this month. I just ordered a second set of plans from them and as soon as get all pieces cut out will start posting. Thanks for the great plane. Phil
Hi Phil,

Thanks and you're welcome! I look forward to seeing your progress.

Dan
Old Jan 28, 2012, 01:52 PM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,455 Posts
Came across this F4 used as a drone for target practice. Thought you might enjoy this pix.
Larry Dudeck is offline Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck
Old Jan 28, 2012, 05:20 PM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,547 Posts
Thanks, Larry.

I can see that Ensign NoLO is at the controls.

Dan