HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:46 PM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,561 Posts
I read on another forum that the crash was because the owner (name unknown) put the receiver under a metalized plastic cover of some sort. Others recommended against it, but after a successful range check, the owner decided to fly.
DanSavage is offline Find More Posts by DanSavage
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2011, 04:28 PM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,491 Posts
Then there were three...

The F4 has always surprised me every time I tried to launch. She never did what I expected her to do. Finally I figured I had the correct combination of tension and thrust, perfectly dry grass and a slight breeze out of the south.

22 paces, full throttle, step on the pedal...

I don't think the F4 got more than 6" off the ground, rolled left, cartwheeled, losing the left wing in the process. Bouncing to a stop, the front end broke off at the air inlets...

Picked up the pieces and went home. She is now in a big box, buried behind some of my adult children's belongings (they leave home, their junk doesn't).

I will not even attempt a repair, just let her sit until I need the hardware...
Larry Dudeck is offline Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck
Old Jul 22, 2011, 04:37 PM
United States, MO, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,751 Posts
Hi Larry,
Bummer to hear that. Best thing to do is what you did and walk away from the plane for a while. Doesn't make ya feel any better though.

Dan Eaton
eatond is offline Find More Posts by eatond
Old Jul 22, 2011, 06:20 PM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,561 Posts
Hi Larry,

I'm sorry to read that your F-4 didn't go as planned. Sometimes models just don't last as long as we'd like them to, do they?.

Some of my favorite models had lasted only a few flights and then they're banished to the boneyard or trashcan.

Dan
Old Jul 22, 2011, 06:37 PM
Los Alamos, NM, USofA
Joined Nov 2000
3,122 Posts
As an old friend used to say, that's a big dragstrip. I'm sorry to hear the flight didn't fare better. It always hurts to lose one, especially when it's so new.

Daren
Daren is offline Find More Posts by Daren
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:00 AM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,321 Posts
Sorry for your loss, Larry.

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Aug 09, 2011, 07:34 AM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,491 Posts
Thanks for the condolences...

I guess I'm over the loss and looking forward to my next build.

The Piperjet Altair has a lot of appeal to me. Using a single MF480 as a standard unit of measure, the Altair will have a 66" wing span, about 365 sq.inch usable wing. The fuse will be about 7" wide at its widest point.

Have the initial outline drawn and need to get into the details but my summer is disappearing much too fast so I will spend as little time indoors as possible for the immediate future. It'll be a winter project for sure.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 04:32 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,321 Posts
I saw your thread in the scratch build forum, Larry. Very sporty!

Fuzz
Old Aug 27, 2011, 09:01 PM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Dudeck View Post
My spread sheet converges at 64.5 mph, based upon a frontal area of 119.4 sq.inch (my F4 has a frontal area of 126 sq.inch, the difference due to the three tanks hanging from the bottom), 92 oz AUW, 44 oz. of static thrust and a Cd=0.225 The value of the Cd is the big unknown but I'm guessing it is 10% lower than that of my F4 due to the iron-on covering.

The Cd plays a major role in all of this. For example, if the Cd was 0.15, the program would converge at 75 mph. If the actual Cd was 0.3, the program converges at 58 mph.
Hi Larry,

I was able to get my F-4 shot by the radar gun today at the Big Jolt. At 104F+ the density altitude was pretty high.

Most of my passes were upwind at 89mph with a headwind of about 5mph or so. Toward the end of the flight I did one downwind pass, but that was 88mph.

This pretty much agrees with my estimation. The measured efflux on my F-4 is 105mph. So, subtract 15mph and that works out to ~90mph.

Dan
Old Sep 06, 2011, 08:34 AM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,491 Posts
Dan,

Good info. Based on a density altitude of 1775 ft (104 F @ sea level), the drag coefficient calculates at .051. From various on-line sources, this is not unusual.
Old Sep 07, 2011, 01:08 AM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,357 Posts
Hi Dan, how many watts is your current set up?...I think I need to pic up a F4 when I get home....Umm love balsa...
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Sep 07, 2011, 01:24 AM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,321 Posts
I think Dan's midi is running approx 900W. I'm running 1100W but only with a 70mm, in a lightened version.

Fuzz
Old Sep 07, 2011, 07:04 AM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,357 Posts
sounds like a 2kw 90 would work nice!
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Sep 07, 2011, 09:30 AM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,561 Posts
Yep. Daren is flying his on a midi pulling 2kW (in thick air) and his flies great!
Old Sep 17, 2011, 11:54 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Without going through 60 pages of threads... what retracts are people using/have been used in this bird?
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)