HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2011, 10:23 AM
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
302 Posts
Yeah, it would be a good club purchase, if there were enough speed freaks to carry the vote.
Bob Hunt is offline Find More Posts by Bob Hunt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2011, 11:35 AM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,540 Posts
Or, an excess balance in the club bank account. (like ours has)

Too bad. Our club just had a meeting on Sunday (yesterday) and we only meet every few months. I could have proposed it to the board and gotten a vote from the quorum of members present.

I'll still pursue it. It would be a nice thing to have in the club inventory.

I'm sure they'll go for it. We just voted to build a 1/3-scale Bellanca Decathlon for a giant scale trainer/glider tug.
DanSavage is offline Find More Posts by DanSavage
Old Jul 18, 2011, 02:19 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,228 Posts
99 bux would buy me a new ARC 28-48-1.5 and a new ZTW 60A ESC/SBEC. And seeing as actual speed is only a curiosity "thing", I'll pass.. Heck, if it fly's well and has a good realistic vertical, I could ask no more from a scale EDF.

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Jul 18, 2011, 07:51 PM
United States, MO, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,705 Posts
Hi Larry,
if you really want to nail the speed down, show up at E-Jets and besides getting to meet everyone I'm sure we can talk them into radaring your F-4.

Just a thought...

Dan Eaton
eatond is online now Find More Posts by eatond
Old Jul 18, 2011, 08:42 PM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,437 Posts
Dan,

I would love to attend an event like E-jets. I look at the pictures some of the E-zoners post and just wish I could make one of those events. Other than here, I don't think I have even seen another EDF, not counting one or two cheap, Asian, Tower-hobbies offerings.

At my club field I'm the only EDFer as well as the only bungee launcher. Everyone else flies prop driven ARFs and/or heli's.
Larry Dudeck is offline Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck
Old Jul 18, 2011, 09:13 PM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,540 Posts
I'm sure there will be a radar gun at the Big Jolt. I'll try them to shoot mine with the gun. I'm curious to see how fast it really is.

Dan
Old Jul 19, 2011, 01:37 AM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,228 Posts
Quote:
At my club field I'm the only EDFer as well as the only bungee launcher. Everyone else flies prop driven ARFs and/or heli's.
There are only (3) of us, in RI, TMK. Two, Ken and myself, at our field, Mark in Middletown. There may be more. Just never heard from them. If there are, They are foamies.

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Jul 19, 2011, 08:00 AM
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
302 Posts
I'm convinced that EDF is the future of RC jets. Turbines will diminish in popularity, and their already high prices will get higher. They have always been potentially dangerous, and the near tragedy at Joe Nall is another nail in the coffin.

I think foam is the way to go on EDFs, because of weight. I like the molded foam models like the Starmax F4, but would like to design and build my own. I don't know anything about the different types, tho. What foam should be used for airplanes?
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:02 AM
Los Alamos, NM, USofA
Joined Nov 2000
3,098 Posts
What happened at Joe Nall? I must have missed the news.

Daren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hunt View Post
I'm convinced that EDF is the future of RC jets. Turbines will diminish in popularity, and their already high prices will get higher. They have always been potentially dangerous, and the near tragedy at Joe Nall is another nail in the coffin.

I think foam is the way to go on EDFs, because of weight. I like the molded foam models like the Starmax F4, but would like to design and build my own. I don't know anything about the different types, tho. What foam should be used for airplanes?
Daren is offline Find More Posts by Daren
Old Jul 19, 2011, 03:17 PM
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
302 Posts
A jet pilot lost all control (which a whole bunch of people are trying to blame on there being too many 2.4 sets running at once, which is total nonsense) and his plane crashed behind the flight line, narrowly missing a vehicle. That was the scariest one, there were others, too.

IMHO, turbines should be required to have their receivers and/or antennas located in the top of the vertical fin, where reception cannot be blocked by that lump of steel.

And then there are the naive ones who think the receiver looks cool under the canopy, out there in the sun. Sheesh.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 03:26 PM
Los Alamos, NM, USofA
Joined Nov 2000
3,098 Posts
Thanks for the info. Did that happen this year?

As you can probably imagine, there isn't any place on a model that the antenna/receiver won't be blocked at some point by the lump of steel.

Daren
Daren is offline Find More Posts by Daren
Old Jul 19, 2011, 09:29 PM
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
302 Posts
This year, yes.

I tried to find the thread on it (RCU), but I think it got taken down as things were getting real heated. The witch doctors were trying to convince everyone that 2.4 has interference problems, and those who know better weren't buying it.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 09:50 AM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,540 Posts
I don't know if it's related, but there is a recall currently underway for Spektrum radios.

See: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1449512
Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:33 AM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
6,992 Posts
Hey Dan, yep seen that one..its for the new X systems trying to be used with older dsm2 receivers...some hold issues..
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:08 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
20,825 Posts
thats why i use airtronics....been flying them for 4 years....NEVER a single problem...
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut