HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2011, 05:38 PM
Los Alamos, NM, USofA
Joined Nov 2000
3,107 Posts
Ha ha. We laugh about it, but I had a student pilot who really did cover his Wanderer glider without removing the backing using Moneykote, no less!

It was a really junky looking covering job (even for an adolescent). He said it was really hard to get the covering to stick and that he had to turn the iron way up! The only places that stuck was where the heat had melted the backing!

When I told him he had to remove the backing first, he argued with me saying that the instructions told him to do it this way until I peeled away the backing material and explained how Moneykote worked.

He was back the next week with a new and improved covering job. The student told me that it sure ironed down a lot easier without the backing material. No doubt.

Daren
Daren is offline Find More Posts by Daren
Last edited by Daren; Jan 23, 2011 at 05:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2011, 05:46 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,293 Posts
Barry, don't throw out that bad Econo-kote. Just get a can of balsa rite, or SiG Stix-it. One benifit is it's lighter on open frame work. No un-needed adhesive. You just have to re apply the adhesive for overlaps.

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Jan 23, 2011, 06:49 PM
killickb
The Villages. Florida
Joined Jan 2005
1,221 Posts
Hi Fuzz, been using Stix-It on some of areas on this one especially where spackle has been used, I use a mix of Durhams water paste and lightweight spackle and find the plastics stick better to this with a little help. My can of Balsa - Rite was for the fabric type covering and this seems to gas off a lot under plastic. Not sure Balsa-Rite and the Sig stuff aren't one and the same anyway!

Got some of the graphics on tonight --- couldn't wait!! It is sure going to be visible model but the scheme doesn't highlite the Phantom shape as well as some others.

Thanks for servo advice guys, think I am ok but will double check at final assembly. Got 82MG's everywhere except elevator.
killickb is offline Find More Posts by killickb
Old Jan 23, 2011, 07:16 PM
Los Alamos, NM, USofA
Joined Nov 2000
3,107 Posts
I look forward to seeing it, Barry.

Daren
Old Jan 24, 2011, 01:36 AM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,293 Posts
Hi Barry, the Balsa rite film formula does not have enough solids, for use with covering with none. But you are correct, it does need a gassing off period. I also have a piece of 1/8" ply, 3x3" with a doz large T-pins protruding through, and a small handle of ply. Before ironing the film, I ventilate the sheetwood with this tool. I think Monokote marketed a wheel for the same thing called a wood pecker?

Fuzz
Old Jan 24, 2011, 12:01 PM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killickb View Post
Got some of the graphics on tonight --- couldn't wait!! It is sure going to be visible model but the scheme doesn't highlite the Phantom shape as well as some others.

Thanks for servo advice guys, think I am ok but will double check at final assembly. Got 82MG's everywhere except elevator.
Yes, like Daren, I'm looking forward to seeing how yours looks.

You should be okay with the 82MGs. Since elevator is the primary flight control, you can never be too safe, IMO.

Dan
DanSavage is offline Find More Posts by DanSavage
Old Jan 25, 2011, 02:54 PM
killickb
The Villages. Florida
Joined Jan 2005
1,221 Posts
Nearly there! Still more plastic and more decals yet to go!

My 82MG's for ailerons seem to be giving a very soft neutral due to shaft exit slop, think I might need the standard 82's with the top bearing.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 03:13 PM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,547 Posts
Quote:

My 82MG's for ailerons seem to be giving a very soft neutral due to shaft exit slop, think I might need the standard 82's with the top bearing.
Whoa! What a nice looking model. It should be very easy to see.

Yes, mine are a little soft, too. It doesn't seem to affect the handling in the air, but I always do what makes me regardless of what others say.

So, if you are more comfortable with a tighter neutral, by all means, change the servos.

Again, nice job so far.

Dan
DanSavage is offline Find More Posts by DanSavage
Old Jan 25, 2011, 03:57 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,293 Posts
Real, nice, Barry!

Fuzz
Old Jan 25, 2011, 07:25 PM
Los Alamos, NM, USofA
Joined Nov 2000
3,107 Posts
Very nice, Barry!

My original servos didn't always center back to the same location, which of course, made it a handful to fly. Very un-F-4 like!

I switched out the 82MGs for the Hitec HS-125MGs, the model settled down into the F-4 I know and love. I probably would have been okay had I bought new 82MGs, but again, due to increased power output I went with the 125s.

Daren

Quote:

Last edited by Daren; Jan 25, 2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2011, 02:30 AM
Los Alamos, NM, USofA
Joined Nov 2000
3,107 Posts
Hi Barry,

Just checking in to see how you're making out with your F-4. Any pics?

Daren
Old Feb 12, 2011, 01:37 PM
killickb
The Villages. Florida
Joined Jan 2005
1,221 Posts
Finally had time to finish. Is now ready to go at 85.2 oz (6-cell). As you can see the canopy is far fromm perfect nor a good fit on fuse -- needs some shims added, really should start from scratch on a new canopy assembly and make it lighter! Covering is Econokote but have to admit Callie's decals make the difference, sure is a busy design! Don't think my old eyes will have difficulty in seeing this one. Have you seen the latest F-18 in the new digital camo -- sure wouldn't want a model in that scheme even if one would think about putting in the monumental task of duplicating!
Old Feb 12, 2011, 02:30 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,475 Posts
man that is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Feb 12, 2011, 04:11 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,293 Posts
Beautiful work, Barry!

Fuzz
Old Feb 13, 2011, 09:13 AM
Los Alamos, NM, USofA
Joined Nov 2000
3,107 Posts
Very Impressive!

Hi Barry,

I love the paint scheme. I think it highlights the F-4 shape very well while also being very practical for a r/c model. I like the strut doors, too.

Next up: Test flight results (and video).

Daren