HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2009, 09:18 AM
United States, MO, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,736 Posts
Hi Dan,
She's looking pretty good. I'm assuming from the FuseSheetingTail.JPG picture that the horizontal stabs will build into a structure that mounts onto that tail piece via screws? Nice idea if so.

Dan Eaton
eatond is offline Find More Posts by eatond
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2009, 11:50 PM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daren
Very nice, Dan. Now comes the fun part of shaping, final assembly and finishing. Then of course, the really fun part: FLYING!

Daren
Thanks! Flying is always my favorite part of building.
DanSavage is offline Find More Posts by DanSavage
Old Aug 26, 2009, 01:48 AM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatond
Hi Dan,
She's looking pretty good. I'm assuming from the FuseSheetingTail.JPG picture that the horizontal stabs will build into a structure that mounts onto that tail piece via screws? Nice idea if so.

Dan Eaton
Hello and thanks!

The design calls for simply gluing the horizontal tail to the structure with the screw holes in the pic. I tapped the mount for screws on the prototype because I wanted to be able to easily experiment with airfoil shape without having to perform minor surgery to change the tail feathers.

The first flights will be performed with the horizontal stab sanded to an inverted clark-y.

I'll post a couple of pics tomorrow.

Dan
Old Aug 27, 2009, 12:37 AM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,559 Posts
Here's some more pics of the underside of the tail boom.

Like I say, having them bolt on is a nice feature, but completely unnecessary. It's easier and lighter just to glue them into place.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 06:33 PM
Los Alamos, NM, USofA
Joined Nov 2000
3,122 Posts
Again, top notch workmanship and design. I like the way the rudder torque rod nestles right in between where the elevator push-rods are going to be.

I am becoming more of fan of adding rudders to jets when possible. Were I to do it again, I would probably add rudders to my Flanker.

We need a top 3/4 pic with the tail feathers mounted, though. Maybe pop the wings on too?

Daren
Daren is offline Find More Posts by Daren
Old Aug 30, 2009, 01:38 AM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,559 Posts
Thanks, Daren.

I've been busy rounding down the corners. Here's the results.

Next, is the cockpit and tail cone hatches. If I have time tomorrow, I may tackle the inlet lip/splitter plates.

Dan
Old Aug 30, 2009, 03:08 AM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,778 Posts
Hey thats an F-4! haha looking good!

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Aug 30, 2009, 11:37 AM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,204 Posts
Sweet! Are you making a clear canopy for it?

Steve C
Steve C is offline Find More Posts by Steve C
Old Aug 30, 2009, 01:46 PM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,559 Posts
Thanks, Barry. It looks a lot less chunky, now that I've trimmed away the fat, huh?

Steve,
Already made. I just got lazy when taking the pics yesterday. I still need to trim it to fit, but I need to finish the cockpit coaming/instrument hood, first.

I also thought you all would like to see the DUBOB. (Dark Underbelly of the Beast - ) I still need to open up holes for the retracts. I will do that once I get the fuselage finish-sanded.

Dan
Old Aug 30, 2009, 04:49 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,304 Posts
Nice woodworking , Dan! Simple, effective, design.

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Aug 30, 2009, 06:20 PM
Los Alamos, NM, USofA
Joined Nov 2000
3,122 Posts
You've captured the lines of F-4 very well. Can an ugly airplane look pretty? Yours does. Very nice indeed, Dan!

Daren
Daren is offline Find More Posts by Daren
Old Aug 30, 2009, 09:20 PM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,559 Posts
Thanks, Fuzz. The lines of the F-4 really lend themselves well to this sport model-type of construction, don't they?

Thanks, Daren.

I've noticed a couple of the bulkheads need adjustments. I'll add these to the list of corrections I'm making.

In the pic, the bulkhead to which the FG nozzles are taped is B9. I'm not real happy with the lines of the shoulders of the fuselage between B7 and B9. I'm going to lower the shoulder of B8 so it's more of a straight shot.

I'm also going to adjust the shape of B9 above the nozzles so it will have a slight concave shape to get rid of the bump along spine where the tail boom joins the fuselage.

Beyond aggressive sanding, I'm not going to make any changes to mine. But, yours and everyone else's kits will be correct.

Dan
Old Aug 30, 2009, 10:10 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,779 Posts
looks pretty sweet! i was wondering if theres any down thrust, i know the real ones have alot, and most of the older more scale F-4 models have some too(ie JHH and yellow) i think Ed Waltrip ran into a little issue with that too with his F-4 design.
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Aug 30, 2009, 11:19 PM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,559 Posts
Thanks!

No, there isn't any down thrust. This is set up like Daren's 75mm F-4 with a zero-degree thrust line.
Last edited by DanSavage; Aug 30, 2009 at 11:29 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 12:32 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,779 Posts
i just wonder if that will be ok with todays high power setups...BUT....the thrust line is higher than it would be scale, and that may overcome the need for down thrust. i checked out the link to the original F-4 with 75mm fan....holy cow, edf has come a LONG way even in the last couple years. very exiting stuff. are you going to add a profile splitter for the aft fuse? i know that may hurt a little thrust, but would help with the looks it may not hurt it much at all if it had a tapered edge..just a thought should be a great flyer though, its looking really sweet. plan on taking it to AZ jets? or any just events in so cal any time soon?
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut