HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2009, 04:07 PM
no wings any more, just dust!
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
looks good norgale, as regards weight distribution, dont worry about that right now as the installation of running gear will sort that out.
Ghost 2501 is offline Find More Posts by Ghost 2501
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2009, 05:50 PM
River Rat
Flatwoods, KY
Joined Feb 2006
792 Posts
The only problem that i can see arise id the stern rake. Without backing rudders you may not be able to turn in reverse very well. When I was first experimenting with hulls I built one like that and I never could get it to turn in reverse worth a hoot.

It will make a nice model. maybe put a small crane on the bow.
towboatjoe is offline Find More Posts by towboatjoe
Old Jul 19, 2009, 08:07 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,638 Posts
Hi Joe;
Good to hear from you again. Ya there's a lot of possibilties here and I really don't have a specific plan in mind. I'm just kinda creating as I go along but if there is enough room a crane would be nice. The one in the picture is interesting. Thanks for posting it.
I have decided not to use Kort steering so will go with twin crews with straight shafts right out the back. Probably a couple of small 6 volt motors and two 6v batts. I do intend to hang two large rudders off the back,one behind each prop. That should do the steering ok. Won't need any great amount of speed as this is not a fast moving type hull as you know. The two little motors should be adequate but if not I'll rob two out of the PT boat conversion. I'm trying not to have to buy anything new for this project.
Keep in touch. Pete
One question Joe; Why would a tow boat have a crane on it?
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: What's a blog for?
Old Jul 19, 2009, 08:21 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,638 Posts
This is kinda where I'm going with this thing. Pete
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2009, 09:15 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by norgale
Why would a tow boat have a crane on it?
Pulling up buoys and thier moorings.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old Jul 20, 2009, 06:34 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,638 Posts
Ok. That makes sense. Thanks Green Boat. Pete
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2009, 06:44 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,638 Posts
Found a whole sheet of 3/16 balsa that's just right for the bow and stern plates across the width of the boat. This should provide good strength for the push bars at the bow and the props and shafts at the stern.
I think this project will provide a good rescue boat for my other models and will be a fun tow boat with a couple of barges full of photovoltaic cells to run the motors.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2009, 06:48 AM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,519 Posts
A couple barges of PV's, I thought this was supposed to be a low buck job?
Old Jul 20, 2009, 07:06 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by green-boat
A couple barges of PV's, I thought this was supposed to be a low buck job?
Yeah Phil, but we don't know what other kind of stuff Pete has in his scrap bin---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Last edited by der kapitan; Jul 20, 2009 at 07:19 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 07:07 AM
no wings any more, just dust!
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
well if he's using pv's to get the power needed, that'll be good, though he'd be scuppered if he sails under a tree
Ghost 2501 is offline Find More Posts by Ghost 2501
Old Jul 20, 2009, 11:48 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,638 Posts
I'm building a PV set up to take to the flea market next winter to run a tv and a fan. Have a few extra PV panels that may be enough to do something with on this project. I havn't actually stopped to figure it all out yet but it might work. Even in the shade there is plenty of light to run a PV cell. At night is a problem but you can hook a battery up to store the energy to be used then. Pete
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2009, 12:04 PM
New Jersey
Joined Aug 2008
117 Posts
PV cells on barges -- great idea. Looking forward to the progress you'll be making on this build.

Cheers,
Capt. Spaulding
capt. spauldin is offline Find More Posts by capt. spauldin
Old Jul 20, 2009, 01:58 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,638 Posts
Ha! Don't get too excited. I don't know if it will work or not.--Yet. Pete
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2009, 02:56 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,519 Posts
I don't see why it wouldn't work. Talking of PV's, that reminds me the local electronic junk store has a bunch of them pulled from portable highway arrow signs. Always wondered what I could use them for.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 05:47 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,638 Posts
Thing about the cells is that most of them only put out .55 volts or so less ten percent for the lack of good strong sunlight all the time. So to get 12 volts you need at least 22 cells and that takes up a bit of room. If ya go with six volts then you only need half as many but they probably won't be able to power the boat by themselves. Then you need a battery to help run the motors so then you need something to control the power from the cells so that's more weight. It's a vicious circle to get anything going with solar. However you can rig up 32 cells with a inverter and run a refrigerator from now on as long as the sun is shining. Interesting stuff.
I'm also buying stock in a wind turbine company that's just getting going. The stock is real cheap right now but will grow in time I think. Company is NACEL and buy it through Scott trade. They,Scott ,want $500 up front to open an account but they,like everybody today,are hungry and will take three to open. Then you use it all to buy whatever stock you want at $7 per trade. Not a bad deal. pete

Towboat Joe. I missed your point about the reverse situation but I have it now. The water can't get to the prop with the back of the hull like it is. I think I can still do this by moving the props back away from the hull some and making the rudders a little smaller. Got to think about this now that you mentioned it.. Pete
RCG Plus Member