HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2009, 08:32 PM
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Sep 2008
991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by norgale
I understand about the registration process,it's just interesting that the boat should say Boston on it and be so far from that city. I think the boat ought to say where it's home port is. In this case it sure isn't Boston.
AS for the EPA I'm surprised that the high sulfer coal is still used anywhere. Wonder what the air quality is in Illinois around where they burn that coal. Not a good thing that the most plentiful fuel that we have is the worst thing for our air.
I think the new wind farms will take a lot of the "wind out of the coal sails" in the future.
Thanks for the info guys. Now here are the latest shots of my pushboat.
Don't believe that wind power can be used for driving tugboats, and todays coal power plants are designed to burn so there is a much reduced amount. Don't believe the main stream media about our pollution, see what India and China put out. And wind power, those huge wind mills?, They cost a lott of money and guess who pays for them, you, me, Mom and Dad, Gand pa who is retired on 500 a month with medicine bills and taxes to pay. And plenty of birds die when they try to fly thru them and the wind is not constant. What ever happened to old fashioned water wheels? Lots of rivers out there that can be used for water power without damming them. and your government is the one not enforcing pretty stringent laws because someone paid them off, want me to keep going? And where does your balsa and ply come from, look it up, 3rd world?
1967250s is offline Find More Posts by 1967250s
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2009, 09:51 PM
New Jersey
Joined Jan 2008
303 Posts
Looking real good Pete. Keep up the good work
tinknocker is offline Find More Posts by tinknocker
Old Sep 19, 2009, 04:25 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,705 Posts
Had time to do some painting today but didn't get to the main cabin walls before the rains hit. Do that tomorrow.
I'm thinking of putting a sound system in this barge and wonder what would be appropriate. Engine sound would be great. Appreciate any suggestions on that. Pete
norgale is online now Find More Posts by norgale
Old Sep 19, 2009, 05:11 PM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Canada, NS, Sydney Mines
Joined Sep 2005
3,186 Posts
Im wondering how she would sound with a pair off Detroit Diesels ...straight pipe

I love the sound of those old engines ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoawU3cOD10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbgQz0ahYdA&feature=related

v12 detroit running 1 (0 min 16 sec)

LIsten to those ol'girls howl ..
more coffee is offline Find More Posts by more coffee
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by more coffee; Sep 19, 2009 at 05:17 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 05:36 PM
River Rat
Flatwoods, KY
Joined Feb 2006
792 Posts
I recorded some sounds when I was aboard the G L Furr.
You can hear them here http://www.towboatjoe.com/mscl_.htm
towboatjoe is offline Find More Posts by towboatjoe
Old Sep 19, 2009, 06:46 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,705 Posts
Joe; I have listened to those sounds before and that's where I got the idea for a turbine sound for my pushboat. I've read just about all your website and it's terrific except that I stayed up till midnight doing that. Bad time getting out of the rack the next morning. .
I take it that those engines start with a blast of compressed air but is it superchargers that keep up the whine?
And More coffee those are great sounds too. The Detroit Diesel engines do have a distinct sound and with no mufflers they sound very cool in a boat.
Your links didn't work for me but the video is super. Thanks guys. Pete
Old Sep 19, 2009, 08:37 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,705 Posts
This is kinda what I had in mind for the push boat.

Very, very, very fast Turbine powered RC Jet (5 min 59 sec)
Old Sep 19, 2009, 09:12 PM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Canada, NS, Sydney Mines
Joined Sep 2005
3,186 Posts
Try this ???

Detroit 3-71 Two Stroke Diesel Engine (0 min 34 sec)

Re: 12v71 (0 min 31 sec)

Personally the 12v71 ..just makes me moist ...
more coffee is offline Find More Posts by more coffee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hi!
Old Sep 20, 2009, 08:46 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,705 Posts
The first video sounds like the irrigation pumps that ran all night long just South of where I live and drove everyone crazy around here. Thankfully that farm is now a huge gated community for rich oil barons so it's nice and quiet.
The second video is more like it. Good sounds there. Pete
Old Sep 20, 2009, 09:09 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,705 Posts
My barge will probably sound more like this.
37419 COLD START (1 min 38 sec)
Old Sep 20, 2009, 10:21 AM
River Rat
Flatwoods, KY
Joined Feb 2006
792 Posts
The Texas deck is a name carried over from the steamboat days. It was always referred to as the cabin and deck below the pilot house. Best I can figure it was called that because it was usually the largest deck area. On passenger boats it's called the hurricane deck. Orginally, the second deck was called the Boiler deck. Now-a-days it's called the cabin deck. Go figure?

From the design of the hull and layout of the cabins, I would say on a protoype that the stacks would be located right up next to the second deck cabin. Some boats have the stacks intergrated into the cabins.

This size boat wouldn't require two yawl cranes, but it would work good if you wanted two. Just have to make two yawls which would be a couple of 16' jon boats.

Notice the stacks on these boats. The stacks are usually straight above the engines with the exception of Mary Claire and Omaha because the cabin extends over the upper engine room. The Titletown and Humphrey were unusual in that the engines were mounted forward.
towboatjoe is offline Find More Posts by towboatjoe
Old Sep 20, 2009, 11:43 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,705 Posts
Thanks for the pictures Joe. The Humphry is an unusual looking boat anyway and I see your point about the stack location. I'll have to experimant a little and keep the stacks on one of the two lower decks. I just redid the budget for this pushboat and it's all used up. The cranes will have to wait.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 06:59 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,705 Posts
Made some good sized air scoops for the sides of the third deck and the main deck. These should supply some cooling for the hull and engines. Got a mast for the top and some life boats containers and some cleats which I think may be a tad too big and a bollard for the bow. Need to get with making the push knees now and some windows all around. Lots of railings ladders to go on too.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 07:31 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,686 Posts
Lookin' downright awesome Pete!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot