Subscribed!
Texasredrider is offline Find More Posts by Texasredrider
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2009, 09:52 AM
Virginia Beach Va.
Joined Nov 2001
503 Posts
got any on the east coast yet???????????
Speedfreak is offline Find More Posts by Speedfreak
Old Jul 17, 2009, 09:54 AM
..`.><((((>.`.><((((>
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Nov 2008
321 Posts
Quote:
No. The 2 gram motor isn't going to produce enough thrust to get the Sukhoi over 1:1. Real-world test results seem to put the 2 gram outrunner at around 20 grams of thrust at nearly 2A current draw. And this is with a GWS 3020 prop, which isn't going to be large enough for the Sukhoi. The 6mm brushed motor + gearbox + prop from the current PZ micros weighs about four grams. The 1S 110 mAH battery weighs four grams. So the Sukhoi's AUW minus the power pack is under 25 grams. The brushless setup is going to need a heftier battery to supply the required current, since the PZ/E-Flite 110 mAH packs seem to have, at most, an 8 to 10C rating.

To swing a large enough prop, you will need to go with a larger motor with a lower KV rating. Search for 5 gram outrunners with a KV rating between 3400 to 4500. These will produce 45 to 48 grams of thrust at 1.5A current draw at the low end of the range, and over 60 grams at 2A current draw at the upper end of the range.
Thank you... I kinda figured that was the case.
So in reality we need this motor 4.6 gram outrunner

In the review, there are people saying they hover 35gram models on 1 lipo cell.

Sl0flyer is offline Find More Posts by Sl0flyer
Last edited by Sl0flyer; Jul 17, 2009 at 10:05 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 09:59 AM
Joined Nov 2008
88 Posts
Didn't I read somewhere that Parkzone was either considering or planned to develop a brushless setup for the sukhoi?

I'd love to get a brushless setup that they have tested specifically for the sukhoi.
Steve4ustin is offline Find More Posts by Steve4ustin
Old Jul 17, 2009, 09:59 AM
Checking CG is for NERDS!
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightspeeddud
I would recommend locking this thread up.

This is the OFFICAL thread I made.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1081070

keep sukhoi stuff in there
Really, Lightspeeddud?

It looks like I started this thread before you started yours.

Does it really matter?
Smokescreen38 is offline Find More Posts by Smokescreen38
Old Jul 17, 2009, 10:00 AM
Heli Crasher
CT
Joined Jan 2008
705 Posts
I was going to suggest you rochambeau for it.
bassplayinDude is offline Find More Posts by bassplayinDude
Old Jul 17, 2009, 10:00 AM
lincolnton,nc
Joined Jan 2007
612 Posts
I smell a poll coming, don't I?
goodyearman is offline Find More Posts by goodyearman
Old Jul 17, 2009, 10:02 AM
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheks
Hi,

Only flown a couple of times. So far loving it.

Cannot comment on run times yet as both flights have been cut short by weather (wind, then rain).

Had a couple of quite heavy "landings" - prop first into grass - the plane took it very well in it's stride.

I also have a Minium Flybaby and a Cesna - this Sukhoi is a completely different animal - fast and very agille - very precise. Also much better in slighty windy conditions - I think because it generally flies a lot faster.

I am very keen to experiment with battery placement. It is a long battery bay (75mm) which gives plenty of option for tuning C of G by moving the battery.

I also really like the box - as it hinges open now and you do not have to slide out the inner packaging.

They also supply a second prop - nice touch!

Sheks

My web site with a video of my Sukhoi:
http://boyswithtoys.ning.com/
Awesome info, Sheks!

Would you feel comfortable flying it in the "half of a basketball court" as the original Cessna 210 was advertised to do?

How is the noise level compared to the others?
Old Jul 17, 2009, 10:03 AM
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnlrun
this thread says official too. Lets lock your instead
lol..

Mods, how about a merge?
Old Jul 17, 2009, 10:07 AM
Mc-Fly
Melbourne-Australia
Joined Mar 2008
1,110 Posts
Ive got to ask you Lightspeeddud,

Why do you always have to be the one to start new threads all the dam time?
Just 1 hour before you started this thread Smokescreen started an official thread on the Sukhoi already... and to top it off you had the nerve to post in his thread telling him to lock his thread because yours is the official thread instead (even though yours was created 1 hour later).

I'm sorry man i don't mean to sound like an a hole or anything and i usually like to reserve my self when it comes to these petty things but in my opinion i think you need to learn how to share.

Vet
Veteran is offline Find More Posts by Veteran
Old Jul 17, 2009, 10:13 AM
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran
Ive got to ask you Lightspeeddud,

Why do you always have to be the one to start new threads all the dam time?
Just 1 hour before you started this thread Smokescreen started an official thread on the Sukhoi already... and to top it off you had the nerve to post in his thread telling him to lock his thread because yours is the official thread instead (even though yours was created 1 hour later).

I'm sorry man i don't mean to sound like an a hole or anything and i usually like to reserve my self when it comes to these petty things but in my opinion i think you need to learn how to share.

Vet
It's fun to start the thread... no doubt...but its also pretty silly to squabble over it. I could care less. I started the thread because I'm excited about the plane and I woke up this morning thinking about it.

Yep... its pretty jerky to post what you did in my thread but I'm hardly going to lose sleep over it.

This forum is a great community... definitely one of my all time favorite resources on the internet. I'd hate to see it tarnished with childish stuff like this.

Lightspeed took some time to post some useful links in this thread... that's cool.

I'd suggest merging the threads, but that would still put my post at the top and I don't want to look petty... so whatever happens is okay with me.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 10:15 AM
Somerset, England
Joined Aug 2003
301 Posts
I got my Sukhoi at lunchtime, its raining, so I just took it out of the box, bound it to Tx and checked all is working, which it is. I can't get over how tiny the plane is though, the pictures just don't capture it ;-)
Hopefully I will be able to fly this evening if it stops raining !
jblackmore is offline Find More Posts by jblackmore
Old Jul 17, 2009, 10:22 AM
Mc-Fly
Melbourne-Australia
Joined Mar 2008
1,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokescreen38
It's fun to start the thread... no doubt...but its also pretty silly to squabble over it. I could care less. I started the thread because I'm excited about the plane and I woke up this morning thinking about it.

Yep... its pretty jerky to post what you did in my thread but I'm hardly going to lose sleep over it.

This forum is a great community... definitely one of my all time favorite resources on the internet. I'd hate to see it tarnished with childish stuff like this.

Lightspeed took some time to post some useful links in this thread... that's cool.

I'd suggest merging the threads, but that would still put my post at the top and I don't want to look petty... so whatever happens is okay with me.
Actually I couldnt care less about your thread... If i see another sukhoi thread i'm going to puke
Veteran is offline Find More Posts by Veteran
Old Jul 17, 2009, 10:25 AM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,473 Posts
Its not fair...I have all our preorders shipped and my boss said it in such high demand that between our store manager(Rudy) and myself(webmanager) we can only have one...Dangit..I lost the coin toss....thats it I am going flying for the..day..
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Jul 17, 2009, 10:28 AM
JuZ
Salad Dodger
West Sussex, UK
Joined Sep 2008
242 Posts
I got mine today and couldn't resist taking it to the field despite the 7-10mph gusty wind, it performed very well considering but rain stopped play
JuZ is offline Find More Posts by JuZ