HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2009, 08:32 AM
Hovering is Over-rated
Big Spring Tx
Joined Jan 2008
382 Posts
The videos I've seen of this heli sure won't help sell it.
Saradog is offline Find More Posts by Saradog
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2009, 09:14 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Nov 2008
922 Posts
I know it is not the best video. It is just something I do for the first time and think it is kind of cool to share it with others.

Happy flying!
ehirobo
ehirobo is offline Find More Posts by ehirobo
Old Jul 31, 2009, 04:45 AM
IRELAND
Joined Jun 2009
2,433 Posts
Walkera.co please make a 500 size coaxial helicopter.

THE WALKERA LAMA 400D IS NOW THE WORLDS BEST COAXIAL HELICOPTER, if www.walkera.com can make this size, they can make a 500 size coaxial. This would make walkera the best maker of R.C. coaxial Helicopters in the World. I am asking all coaxial fans here and on www.youtube.com to email www.walkera.com at heli@walkera.com and to ask them to make a 500 size coaxial helicopter soon. thanks for your help - Eamon.
rolex0071 is offline Find More Posts by rolex0071
Last edited by rolex0071; Jul 31, 2009 at 04:46 AM. Reason: title-
Old Aug 01, 2009, 08:36 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,743 Posts
I searched for the Walkera 400D on UTube and didn't see a single one that shows it doing anything impressive. One video shows it flying in a yard that's the size of a large closet. Another one shows it on a tennis or basketball court and it's not any better. Is it stable? I suppose. Can it get out of its own way? I don't know. Whomever is making these videos is not showing anything that would make me go out and buy one.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Aug 05, 2009, 02:03 AM
UK / Germany
Joined Nov 2001
640 Posts
I have a Lama 400D and I really like it. Only a couple of flights so far.

Does anyone know the details of the ESC connector on the RX?
I would like to use my own radio, and if the mixing is done in the ESC not the RX then that would be quite easy to convert.

Paul
pgleesonuk is offline Find More Posts by pgleesonuk
Old Aug 10, 2009, 08:49 AM
Merry xmas
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,831 Posts
not flying hard?

Obviously never seen me fly mine. PMSL....

There are hundreds of vids of 3D helos doing nothing followed by crashing on the net.. means nada just like the 400 vids not doing a lot. It's a new product and given time I'm sure there will be plenty of decent vids including the mandatory out of control crashes... I know first hand. What would have destroyed my 450 or 4g3 only snapped 2 blades on my 400. Lives to terrorize another day and I got it all on flycam. LOL.

Those interested in working cheap mods that don't look cheap, see my other post. I'll add too it each day and hopefully it will help a few out.

PS ehirobo.. I like your 400 vids and appreciate you taking the time to review everything you guys sell. I find it impartial and good info. Keep up the good work mate.

Cheers... Mark
KCV6 is online now Find More Posts by KCV6
Last edited by KCV6; Aug 10, 2009 at 09:14 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 08:59 AM
Merry xmas
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,831 Posts
pgleesonuk, I'm gonna be looking into the Brushed speed controller and the RX soon... I figure a brushless conversion would be in order.

Knowing walkera stuff I suspect the mixing is in the 4 in 1 RX, it is in all their other CX 4 chan RX's. Even if it's the usual motor signal out, there are ways to get this to drive a BSC.. Walkera do it on the tail drive outputs for the 4g3 and 4#3b.. and there are other 2 stage BSC's for the 5#10 etc.

I'll get back to you if I find out more.

Cheers... Mark
Old Aug 10, 2009, 07:33 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCV6
Obviously never seen me fly mine. PMSL....

There are hundreds of vids of 3D helos doing nothing followed by crashing on the net.. means nada just like the 400 vids not doing a lot. It's a new product and given time I'm sure there will be plenty of decent vids including the mandatory out of control crashes... I know first hand. What would have destroyed my 450 or 4g3 only snapped 2 blades on my 400. Lives to terrorize another day and I got it all on flycam. LOL.

Those interested in working cheap mods that don't look cheap, see my other post. I'll add too it each day and hopefully it will help a few out.

PS ehirobo.. I like your 400 vids and appreciate you taking the time to review everything you guys sell. I find it impartial and good info. Keep up the good work mate.

Cheers... Mark
Seeing is believing. Please post some videos of your 400. Show us the stuff the manufacturer didn't. They have shown nothing that would entice any of us to buy one.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Aug 10, 2009, 08:33 PM
Merry xmas
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,831 Posts
Will do Jack, just waiting on a new set of blades.

Honestly it is a good helo. Mine modified with the cam and 2200mAh flightmax pack weighs in at 722.1 grams and so long as you treat it like a CX (power off, stick forward then dial it) when it looses lift it is more than happy indoors and outside. Biggest problem indoors is the amount of ground efect due to the high amount of rotor wash bouncing off the walls and the furniature.

One really good point is the fact you can use certain 450 parts with almost no modification on it and we know just how cheap and available they are!

Cheers... Mark
Last edited by KCV6; Aug 16, 2009 at 03:49 AM. Reason: correct weight now it's all finished
Old Dec 07, 2009, 11:29 AM
Joined Dec 2009
2 Posts
400D & Wind

If you turn up the "extent" pot on the "receiver" it can fly in 5 - 10 mph winds. Out of the box there is just not enough servo travel. Once you get enough servo travel to work in the wind it gets a little touchy in hover. There a good radio with expo would really help.

Also, out of the box the servos arms and connector lengths are not adjusted. One server arm was not at 90 degrees to the rotor shaft and after moving it there I had to shorten the right connector 4 1/2 turns to get the swashplate level.

This is my third heli and compared to the CX2 & mSr it is really nice to fly, real stable hover and smooth as silk landings.
DChance is offline Find More Posts by DChance
Old Jan 04, 2010, 10:53 PM
Joined May 2007
4 Posts
Hey guys im thinking of buying one of these how hard would it be to do a brushless convertion would it make any difference at all
cheeko is offline Find More Posts by cheeko
Old Jan 05, 2010, 12:24 AM
Merry xmas
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,831 Posts
cheeko, I have one brushless and other than a bit of tail wag when hovering it's pretty good.

Mark
Old Jan 05, 2010, 12:36 AM
Joined May 2007
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCV6 View Post
cheeko, I have one brushless and other than a bit of tail wag when hovering it's pretty good.

Mark
How do i go about setting one up with brushless what parts are needed also
is the 400D a better buy then the Esky Big Lama Cheers thanks for your help
cheeko is offline Find More Posts by cheeko
Old Jan 05, 2010, 12:43 AM
Merry xmas
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,831 Posts
cheeko, hard to say with the esky. I think the esky brushless with extended shafts looks good, but some have had problems.

Going brushless on the 400D is not the easiest conversion, take a look here

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1#post13647941

this is where all my pics and discussions are on the various mods I have carried out, including all the brushless parts I've used.

Cheers