HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 17, 2009, 12:10 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Nov 2008
922 Posts
Discussion
Walkera Lama 400D helicopter mini review:

Introduction:
Walkera had introduces a new ultra stable co-axial “Giant Lama” to the market with the new Lama 400D. The construction is very similar to the larger 450size cp helicopter makes this a very robust helicopter.

Feature:
As you can see the canopy is a slim line design very similar to larger helicopter. The rotor heads are made with high strength aluminum alloy. Like the late mode large scale Walkera heli’s the tail blade is powered by a small rotor for that scale appearance. The main frame feature one piece glass fiber main frame with aluminum motor and main shaft mount. With glass fiber tail support and tail fins. These parts may weight more than plastic counterpart but they make the heli much stiffer than similar heli on the market.

Flight impression:
Weight in at 640g (with battery), the Lama 400D is sure one of the heaviest and largest co-axial heli on the market. This translates into a very stable heli even at outdoor, light wind situation. The blade are made with very stiff plastic. Which give the heli a lot of lift but may break easily during crash compare to softer blades.

Conclusion:
In the war for big lama this Lama 400D is sure one of the top design with feature and materials usually only found in bigger 450size helicopter. These features make it react quicker than normal co-axial heli yet still offer the stability of co-axial helicopter. This is a good helicopter for pilots want to learn to fly helicopter before moving to the CP heli.

Pro:
Size, weight
Stable
Construction and high quality material used

Cons:
Size, weight
Blade may crack easily
ehirobo is offline Find More Posts by ehirobo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2009, 05:26 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,997 Posts
I like the looks of this heli, but the videos that are out there show absolutely nothing that would entice anybody to buy one. It looks as if it flies like a brick. I think their videos do more harm than good.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Jul 17, 2009, 09:54 AM
USA, WI, Neosho
Joined Jan 2009
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack
I like the looks of this heli, but the videos that are out there show absolutely nothing that would entice anybody to buy one. It looks as if it flies like a brick. I think their videos do more harm than good.
What I would be interested in is the lifting capacity of this. I would think (hopefully) that this could lift a small camera (Sony Webbie) which could do some AP or AV. In that regard, a "brick" would make a nice stable platform.

And I am sure that if you did a brushless conversion it would become a great starter platform for budding enthusiasts.

On the other hand, if you are primarily looking for FFF I would agree with your assessment.
Riktar is offline Find More Posts by Riktar
Old Jul 17, 2009, 09:56 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Nov 2008
922 Posts
Due to it's size and weight it sure will not fly as fast as smaller or other CP heli. But I think it should be a great heli to use a small view cam to take some video. I have one weight around 40g with battery and SD card and the 400D would be able to lift it would any problem. How much is the Sony Webbie weight?

Happy flying!
ehirobo
Old Jul 18, 2009, 07:41 AM
USA, WI, Neosho
Joined Jan 2009
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehirobo
Due to it's size and weight it sure will not fly as fast as smaller or other CP heli. But I think it should be a great heli to use a small view cam to take some video. I have one weight around 40g with battery and SD card and the 400D would be able to lift it would any problem. How much is the Sony Webbie weight?

Happy flying!
ehirobo
The Webbie weighs 120 grams (with battery)
Old Jul 19, 2009, 11:37 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Nov 2008
922 Posts
I taped two 430L motor to the bottom of the 400D (weight 119.8g). To my surprise I can hardly feel the weight different. It climb slightly slower and the cyclic input is slower as well. But I still got it up to around 8-10M high and it would climb higher if I wants to. I am really suprise for the small effect of additional 120g to a 640g helicopter.

Happy flying!
ehirobo
Old Jul 20, 2009, 05:50 AM
USA, WI, Neosho
Joined Jan 2009
291 Posts
Quote:
I taped two 430L motor to the bottom of the 400D (weight 119.8g). To my surprise I can hardly feel the weight different. It climb slightly slower and the cyclic input is slower as well. But I still got it up to around 8-10M high and it would climb higher if I wants to. I am really suprise for the small effect of additional 120g to a 640g helicopter.

Happy flying!
ehirobo
I do believe you just made a sale. Thanks for the info.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 11:35 PM
rwl
rwl
MA,
Joined Jun 2009
190 Posts
Lama 400D

I was looking for a coaxal for outside and that looks nice. Wheres the best place to buy one and the parts?

Bob
rwl is offline Find More Posts by rwl
Old Jul 22, 2009, 01:44 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,997 Posts
I wish guys wouldn't start new threads when there already is an existing one. The other, recent thread is by a guy who just got his and he says it is terrible.
I'd be more inclined to believe an owner than a guy trying to sell them!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1083555
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Jul 22, 2009, 01:46 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:

Happy flying!
ehirobo

why is it that in the second picture the "motors" look like cloth stuffed with cotton balls?
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Jul 22, 2009, 10:06 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Nov 2008
922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamnitpete
why is it that in the second picture the "motors" look like cloth stuffed with cotton balls?
? I used a lot of tape to stop the "motors" from moving around. Maybe this makes you think it look like cotton balls? LOL. Anyway it is not fast as the 400D is such a big co-axial heli. And the servo arms are very short (only around 6-7mm from the screw to the ball). Makes it very slow but stable for beginner. I think for experience pilots may prefer to switch to longer servo arm for more cyclic input.

Happy flying!
ehirobo
Old Jul 22, 2009, 10:12 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Nov 2008
922 Posts
Old Jul 22, 2009, 11:43 PM
Joined Aug 2008
458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack
I wish guys wouldn't start new threads when there already is an existing one. The other, recent thread is by a guy who just got his and he says it is terrible.
I'd be more inclined to believe an owner than a guy trying to sell them!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1083555
Um dude, that guy can't even speak english well enough to understand us. If you actually read the thread you would understand...
forrest225 is offline Find More Posts by forrest225
Old Jul 23, 2009, 12:23 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwl
I was looking for a coaxal for outside and that looks nice. Wheres the best place to buy one and the parts?

Bob
You do know it won't handle wind?
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jul 23, 2009, 02:03 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Nov 2008
922 Posts
I put a small video cam in the 400D and took a quick video. Sorry it is kind of "jumpy" as it is my first inflight video and hope will do a better one next time. BTW: I place the camera on the noise of the heli (in front of the 4 in 1). I need to add some weight to the tail to get the CG right. For me I just tape a align 250 motor (as I have one on my table) to the tail boom of the Lama400D. In total I add around 80g.

Happy flying!

Walkera LAMA 400D inflight video (4 min 44 sec)