HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2009, 06:50 PM
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ - inverted!
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daoldguy View Post
Fat Leading edge with slow things, I flew the Ghost Bipe this morning, outside in the calm fog. I almost fell asleep waiting for it to make one large circle around the field.
That has to be so cool. I love slow flyers. Wish I had a Ghost Bipe!
DaDesign is offline Find More Posts by DaDesign
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2009, 08:47 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDesign View Post
That has to be so cool. I love slow flyers. Wish I had a Ghost Bipe!
Watch what you wish for, I will make you SuchaDeal.

I flew it again this after noon in a very small Gym, my i3D had room to hover, not a lot else. It does perform well on the 7X3.5 prop or the 8X4. It flys very low and slow without issue. It pulled a large audience as it floated about the gym. Full speed on this is slow flight on my i3D.
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Nov 15, 2009, 09:34 PM
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,257 Posts
Do you have a video yet?
Old Nov 15, 2009, 09:36 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,446 Posts
Quote:
Do you have a video yet?
No Video yet, in such a hurry trying to fly and get ready for company coming, then going away for a week..... Holidays can be so stressful
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Nov 15, 2009, 10:32 PM
Joined Dec 2006
41 Posts
Quote:
Hi Carl,
You're always so encouraging and you don't know how much I appreciate and need it. I'm glad you love this thread. I've made many wonderful friends such as yourself. Thanks again.

Yes, the incidence in the horizontal stabilizer should be zero on the biplane. The Center of Gravity should be between the tip of the top wing and the tip of the bottom wing. Center would be good. I love flying this plane!!! It not only looks great in the air but it has NO bad habits and is so gentle and easy to fly. I cherish (for lack of a better word) this plane as much as any that I have, and I have several. I hope you enjoy yours as much.

Let me know if I can help. Post often. I enjoy hearing from you.

Dalton
Thanks for the quick reply, Dalton. Sorry I'm so dense, but your explanation of where the cog should be on the round top bipe isn't clear to me. Being centered between the top wing tip and the bottom wing tip isn't computing in my brain. Maybe I am asking the wrong question. I'm looking for the point relative to the leading edge and the trailing edge of (presumably the bottom wing) that will give me the proper fore and aft balance point to enable the plane to fly right. Thanks a bunch. Carl
Carl Moss is offline Find More Posts by Carl Moss
Old Nov 15, 2009, 11:08 PM
Registered FFF Addict
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
2,930 Posts
3/4" of flat???? .75" x 48" WS that's 36 square inches of flat surface not to mention the not very pointed nose and flat windshield that poor little motor has to push ahead of it. Do you think the nose and the windshield might be pushing down on the front of the plane in flight and moving your CG back? Think I will try a mod on the windshield.

Quote:
Fat Leading edge with slow things, I flew the Ghost Bipe this morning, outside in the calm fog. I almost fell asleep waiting for it to make one large circle around the field.
larryross is offline Find More Posts by larryross
Old Nov 16, 2009, 06:33 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,576 Posts
Quote:
OK, I have learned a lot this morning. Mitchell and I got the Ellipso Aerobile trimed out and flying. This was my first time to fly a swept wing and a tailless plane. It looked really cool in the air!!!

First I noticed it was under powered. It flew just above stall speed. We flew out the first battery circling the field. Then we realized we had not taken any video's so we loaded the second battery. Now I feeling a little cocky so I told Mitchell to hand lunch it for me and then get the camera. Everything was going fine until I thought that I would zoom in close for the video and when I did I made a tight turn to stay close and she stalled and by by long nose. I wanted a short nose anyway! But, I learned a lot of useful stuff....

It needs a larger motor to fly above stall speed.
The larger motor may make it a little faster. I don't know but a swept wing may need speed to be stable.
I had the wrong prop! I had a 9X6 and it needs a 10X4.7 or something like that.
I learn "Don't get cocky until you learn to fly that particular model".

Bottom line...it really was unique in the air and should get a lot of attention at the flight field.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgZeYlk_1gI

can I borrow a sheet of foam.

seemed like the cg was off but at least it did something.
inline300 is offline Find More Posts by inline300
Old Nov 16, 2009, 08:27 AM
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Moss View Post
Thanks for the quick reply, Dalton. Sorry I'm so dense, but your explanation of where the cog should be on the round top bipe isn't clear to me. Being centered between the top wing tip and the bottom wing tip isn't computing in my brain. Maybe I am asking the wrong question. I'm looking for the point relative to the leading edge and the trailing edge of (presumably the bottom wing) that will give me the proper fore and aft balance point to enable the plane to fly right. Thanks a bunch. Carl
A picture will be better. I'm not good at explaning things. That's the one statement I get from my crew. If this doesn't make it clear PLEASE ask again and I'll try something else.

I don't know if you have a camera but I sure would love to see your build.

Keep in touch. As always, it's good to hear from you!
Last edited by DaDesign; Nov 16, 2009 at 08:48 AM.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 08:31 AM
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inline300 View Post
can I borrow a sheet of foam.

seemed like the cg was off but at least it did something.
If you build one I will be happy to send you some foam or I can cut one out and send it to you. Let me know. PM an address!

I'm making larger rudders today and installing them. I think that will help a bunch!
Old Nov 16, 2009, 08:35 AM
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryross View Post
3/4" of flat???? .75" x 48" WS that's 36 square inches of flat surface not to mention the not very pointed nose and flat windshield that poor little motor has to push ahead of it. Do you think the nose and the windshield might be pushing down on the front of the plane in flight and moving your CG back? Think I will try a mod on the windshield.
That is a lot of flat surface on the LE!!! I'm going to round off mine today. Maybe that will help a lot.

I thought about that as well. Maybe a rounded windsheld?
Old Nov 16, 2009, 08:37 AM
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,257 Posts
Quote:
Holidays can be so stressful
You got that right! I can't believe it's here already.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 08:46 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,576 Posts
make the rudders out of lead...haha

Ill think the foam over...aka...wait to see if yours flies.

I bet it would fly alot better if it was a larger scale, what do you think? I know you like compact planes, I like them bigger cause I cant see the damn things once they get so high up, I like to take them up real high and chase buzzards, and I have good eye sight (knock on wood).

Holidays suck...in my mind, they seem so warm and fuzzy but the way they play out...not so much.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 08:52 AM
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,257 Posts
Quote:
make the rudders out of lead...haha

Ill think the foam over...aka...wait to see if yours flies.

I bet it would fly alot better if it was a larger scale, what do you think? I know you like compact planes, I like them bigger cause I cant see the damn things once they get so high up, I like to take them up real high and chase buzzards, and I have good eye sight (knock on wood).

Holidays suck...in my mind, they seem so warm and fuzzy but the way they play out...not so much.
Yeah, my eye sight is not so good. This would be a good buzzard chaser!

Holiday's Bring on more stress than anything else. Maybe I shouldn't let it.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 08:57 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,576 Posts
True, true.

Hows your wife, recovering well I hope?

As much as holidays suck, there seems to always be a toothless baby smiling, at a family dinner to make it all worth it. lol
Old Nov 16, 2009, 09:10 AM
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,257 Posts
Quote:
True, true.

Hows your wife, recovering well I hope?

As much as holidays suck, there seems to always be a toothless baby smiling, at a family dinner to make it all worth it. lol
She's doing good, thanks for asking. All that sugery seems to have worked.

I guess Christmas is for children because I always enjoy seeing them be happy and who knows there may be a new foamie for the old guy also, which would make him very happy!