SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 30, 2009, 08:30 PM
Gravity gets me down.
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,393 Posts
Dalton, I think I want to try this blue core stuff. I have a Lowes down the road - can you give me an idea of what I am looking for? I think I have seen 4x8 sheets that may be this, just not sure.

Pictures of your plane looks a little thinner than what I have seen.

Thanks,
Bob
helicow is offline Find More Posts by helicow
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2009, 08:43 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,330 Posts
2 foot X 4 foot Stack of 1/4 inch blue foam folded like a fan. Dow Protection Board III near the big 4X8 sheets.
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Jul 30, 2009, 08:55 PM
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ - inverted!
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,255 Posts
Yeah, FFF stands for Fan Fold Foam. Try to pick out the stack with the least amount of waves.
DaDesign is offline Find More Posts by DaDesign
Old Jul 30, 2009, 09:01 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,330 Posts
I have some left over 2 inch thick from my basement project. I am running it through my Hotwire Bow and slicing some smooooth and waveless.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 11:35 PM
I just want to fly
USA, IN, Jeffersonville
Joined Aug 2008
690 Posts
guys watch out lowes switched their foam to the brittle green stuff time to go to home depo
justwanttofly is offline Find More Posts by justwanttofly
Old Jul 30, 2009, 11:40 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by justwanttofly
guys watch out lowes switched their foam to the brittle green stuff time to go to home depo
I just seen the thread posted on that. That could make things a bugger. There is always the Pick stuff at Home Depot if the green is that bad. Allied carries PBIII...for now.
Old Aug 01, 2009, 03:35 PM
Gravity gets me down.
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,393 Posts
Just picked up a stack of FFF from Lowes - it is blue, so I assume it s the correct foam.

Anyways - it looks like I am set for foam for awhile.

Dalton, I did not see it mentioned am only assuming this from your pictures. You have one spar (carbon rod it looks like) on the wing, and possibly the leading edge with a flat carbon piece?

If not, how are you keeping the wing stiff?

Thanks
Bob
helicow is offline Find More Posts by helicow
Old Aug 01, 2009, 04:41 PM
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicow
Just picked up a stack of FFF from Lowes - it is blue, so I assume it s the correct foam.

Anyways - it looks like I am set for foam for awhile.

Dalton, I did not see it mentioned am only assuming this from your pictures. You have one spar (carbon rod it looks like) on the wing, and possibly the leading edge with a flat carbon piece?

If not, how are you keeping the wing stiff?

Thanks
Bob
Hi Bob,
That is correct. One CF rod spar and on the LE with a flat carbon piece. Did you ever watch the first video on the front page? I think I show all that there but I'm not a very good speaker. I did that video in my office at work and didn't do a very good job.

I'm building the KFm4 wing that Ron recommends now. According to him I will not need any CF at all and the wing will be strong. This will be my first KF wing.

I'm building the LW version with the clip wing (40 inches). It has a little more aileron surface and seems to be more aerobatic, however I didn't have a lot of aileron dialed in on the HW I built. The plans are on the front page under the 4 options plan and can be built HW as well. I would as Ron to clean up those plans and maybe name it the 40 in plan but he has done so much already. These plans are crude but work fine. The wing will look like the wing Mitchell built (posted earlier) but LW. I think it's going to be really cool looking.

I put this $6 motor on the prototype to test its performance and WOW did it do well!!! http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5354 I've only done the maiden test in about 8-10 mph wind so I want to fly it more before I recommend it to everyone but I was really pleased. The plane handles the wind with no problem. This is a great little foamie. Easy build and performance for the dollor it can't be beat. I've got about 12 planes ready to fly at the moment and this one cost less than all the rest and performs as well as any of them. As you can tell, I LIKE IT! I hope you like it as much.

Stay in touch as you build;
Dalton
Old Aug 01, 2009, 09:07 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDesign
Hi Bob,
I'm building the KFm4 wing that Ron recommends now. According to him I will not need any CF at all and the wing will be strong. This will be my first KF wing.
Dalton
You may not get away from the CF completely, but it should reduce the need for it. 8)
Old Aug 01, 2009, 09:35 PM
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,255 Posts
Well, I flew the $6 tiny but mighty EMax 2822 motor with a 10X4.7 SF prop, that I wrote about in the last post, again just before dark and it will climb this plane vertical until it is out of site. On take off I throttle back while vertical and let it hover for a second then throttle up and away it went, straight up! I was useing a 3 cell 1320 thunder power battery and I was in the throttle a lot. After landing the motor and battery was barely warm.

So this will cut the cost even more on this build. However, this motor didn't come with the wire ends or the prop hub. So, if you add that to the cost, you will still be under $10. Not bad for a motor that performs like it did today.

I can't say enough how well this little plane performs, how little it cost, how quick and easy it is to build and it looks good. I know it's not for every one because a lot of pilots have progressed beyond this stage of flying but if you have been flying a slow flyer and you are looking to move to the next step and want a fun little flyer that you build yourself and can fly in a small space then this is a good choice. Each time I fly it I love it even more and I will try to stop with the sales pitch.
Old Aug 01, 2009, 09:37 PM
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daoldguy
You may not get away from the CF completely, but it should reduce the need for it. 8)
Should I put any CF in the KFm4 wing?
Old Aug 01, 2009, 09:55 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,330 Posts
Quote:
Should I put any CF in the KFm4 wing?
I have never done a KF with this much curve so I am not sure of the results. Once she is laminated, you should have a good idea where is sits.

Those emax motors got a lot of power for the money, they tend to be noisy, at least the one I had was. I found the 10 prop was a tad hard on the Watts and the efficency dropped. Maybe they have sorted that out a bit better these days.
Old Aug 01, 2009, 10:04 PM
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,255 Posts
Quote:
I have never done a KF with this much curve so I am not sure of the results. Once she is laminated, you should have a good idea where is sits.

Those emax motors got a lot of power for the money, they tend to be noisy, at least the one I had was. I found the 10 prop was a tad hard on the Watts and the efficency dropped. Maybe they have sorted that out a bit better these days.
And maybe not!, Thanks Ron for the heads up on the emax motors. I have only flown mine today so I'll keep watch on it and I'll know more about the wing next week. I'm building the LW model at work during my lunch hour and I don't go back to work until Tuesday. I doing that so the guys at work can watch it come together.
Old Aug 01, 2009, 10:24 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,330 Posts
Quote:
And maybe not!, Thanks Ron for the heads up on the emax motors. I have only flown mine today so I'll keep watch on it and I'll know more about the wing next week. I'm building the LW model at work during my lunch hour and I don't go back to work until Tuesday. I doing that so the guys at work can watch it come together.
That is my kind of work place enviroment!
Old Aug 02, 2009, 06:07 AM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,062 Posts
Quote:
That is my kind of work place enviroment!
I agree! I had to retire from my workplace to be able to work on stuff like this.
There should be more employers like his in this world, eh?

Walt
Kokopeli is offline Find More Posts by Kokopeli