HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 29, 2009, 09:15 PM
I just want to fly
USA, IN, Jeffersonville
Joined Aug 2008
690 Posts
thanks Dalton for the kind words but its your awesome plane i would love to see how you do the changeable wing.my rudder/tale its about the same size as the original mabey a little bigger.

i just cut the fuse top and bottom where the kfm would go and put the balsa and doublers to align the wing that way there's no guessing slap it on and go.. here is another idea i had since i had the top and bottom cut i was going to make another wing to make it a biplane. what do you think ..that way it could be HW LW and a Bipe flyer.i just need to figure a way to make a easy snap outer wing suports .to connect both wings together .

im thinking of putting control horns 256 threaded z bend on top wing control horn here is what i mean sorry for the cruel drawling. but I hope you understand
justwanttofly is offline Find More Posts by justwanttofly
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2009, 04:59 AM
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ - inverted!
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,255 Posts
That's Auwsome! and with the threaded z bend you can make any fine adjustments that you need. Good thinking.

It's fun to watch this model evolve. Now we will have to call it Ellipso Aero Transformer (no would that be EAT) or maybe just Ellipso Transformer

We could make a swept jet wing to use with your tail design or a gyro to use with my tail design! I'm already thinking that I'll build another LG with floats so I can change the gear in under a minute to fly off water.

Holy southern flyed in the sky! This little addictive plane is to much fun. You sure have got me thinking.

Keep those ideas coming!!!

Dalton
DaDesign is offline Find More Posts by DaDesign
Old Jul 30, 2009, 11:07 AM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDesign
That's Auwsome! and with the threaded z bend you can make any fine adjustments that you need. Good thinking.

It's fun to watch this model evolve. Now we will have to call it Ellipso Aero Transformer (no would that be EAT) or maybe just Ellipso Transformer
Dalton
We could always go the other direction and build with 2 fuses.

Check this out.
http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/28/v...-gets-unveiled

Cheers
Ron
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Jul 30, 2009, 11:24 AM
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daoldguy
We could always go the other direction and build with 2 fuses.

Check this out.
http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/28/v...-gets-unveiled

Cheers
Ron
This is one cool airplane! Someone will be doing a foamie scratchbuilt on that one!!
Old Jul 30, 2009, 12:12 PM
I just want to fly
USA, IN, Jeffersonville
Joined Aug 2008
690 Posts
mine is ready for maiden but its raining like crazy out there. ill try to get a recording of it we only have a digital camera one day ill have a dvr.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 02:36 PM
Gravity gets me down.
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,393 Posts
I have only used EPP before. I have read through this and did not see any mention of the foam used. I would also appreciate any input on the type of glue being used.

I am real interested in building one/two of these.

Thanks,
Bob
helicow is offline Find More Posts by helicow
Old Jul 30, 2009, 02:46 PM
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicow
I have only used EPP before. I have read through this and did not see any mention of the foam used. I would also appreciate any input on the type of glue being used.

Thanks,
Bob
Hi Bob,
Welcome to the thread! I used blue core (FFF) that I bought at Lowes but I would think that you could use EPP or Depron. I don't see why you couldn't. Ron (about 3 post back) uses EPP for all his builds so maybe he will read this and advise.
Stay in touch with your build.
Dalton
Old Jul 30, 2009, 02:48 PM
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by justwanttofly
mine is ready for maiden but its raining like crazy out there. ill try to get a recording of it we only have a digital camera one day ill have a dvr.
You may want to take off on your maiden at about 2/3 throttle until you get trimed out. GOOD LUCK!!!
Old Jul 30, 2009, 04:32 PM
USA, FL, Melbourne
Joined Sep 2004
423 Posts
hey guys, these are some great looking planes. i have built a few flat out bluecore planes before, but i would like to try one with a fuse, and this looks pretty easy. i was wondering what type of glue you all are using? i have always used hot glue, but it can be a little on the heavy side. anyway, what do you all think is the best glue to use for the bluecore stuff?

thanks
Monas
monas is offline Find More Posts by monas
Old Jul 30, 2009, 06:57 PM
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by monas
hey guys, these are some great looking planes. i have built a few flat out bluecore planes before, but i would like to try one with a fuse, and this looks pretty easy. i was wondering what type of glue you all are using? i have always used hot glue, but it can be a little on the heavy side. anyway, what do you all think is the best glue to use for the bluecore stuff?

thanks
Monas
Hi Monas,
I used the clear Gorilla glue (Fast Cure Dries White) That I bought at Home Depot but only use a little. It's easy to put to much. Also, when possable put a weight on the foam until it dries. It dries tacky in 20 -30 minutes and full cure in about an hour. You can put wax paper between the weight and the glue if you need to. If you see the glue expand out of the seam then you can just wipe the seam and this will burst the tiny bubbles and make the seam look much better. It also paints well.

There are other glues that may be better but this did real well. The cost is not much also. I have used hot glue also and I agree that it is heavy.

This is a really easy and low cost build. Thus more "bounce for the ounce" and "bang for the buck". Plus it flys great, thus more "tons of fun" and I think it looks nice. I hope you build it and have as much fun with it as we have.

Thanks for the post and stay in touch.

Dalton
Old Jul 30, 2009, 07:05 PM
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,255 Posts
Quote:

Thanks,
Bob
Sorry Bob,
You ask about the glue and I forgot to give you an answer. I remembered when answering Monas. I hate it when I forget what I'm ???

BTW, I really like the helicow!

I'm old but think young;
Dalton
Old Jul 30, 2009, 07:24 PM
Gravity gets me down.
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,393 Posts
No problem Dalton - I caught your other reply.

Helicow - I have cows and flew the E-Sky King 2, kind of fit. I enjoyed it for some time. I think it actually made the transition to planes a lot easier. I find planes to be much more relaxing and forgiving. Still have it - just have not made up my mind to part with it.

I am thinking of adding a rudder, just how I like to fly. I currently fly the Firefly, Yak (from leadfeather) and the I3D (Ron has answered questions for me on this one) - they are all great and different.

Looking forward to this one - will keep you posted.

Bob
helicow is offline Find More Posts by helicow
Old Jul 30, 2009, 07:28 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,286 Posts
Quote:

Thanks,
Bob
Cheers Bob..

You know me, I can build nearly anything from EPP.

I would do a 9MM wing with 6mm step<s> and 6mm fuse and tail, I would do the laminate with 3m77 of one of the KF Steps to build strength then a would strip the LE with .05x3 mm CF and a cf tube for a mid wing sorta spar.

You could thin the material to 6mm EPP for the main wing with a 3mm step for top and bottom. The Fuse in 5mm and some CF to keep it from flexing.

For FFF I have used UHU Creativ and the PU type glues. EPP, Welder is a great choices, UHU, or even House Hold Goop, EPP doesnt melt down.

Ron
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Jul 30, 2009, 07:39 PM
I just want to fly
USA, IN, Jeffersonville
Joined Aug 2008
690 Posts
i used hot glue and it worked great i also used epoxy for the motor mount of course. Also i have a maiden report it flew awesome with the wing on top and bottom i was a little nose heavy to fly inverted then i made a stupid landing nothing a little glue wont fix. it flew so well my flying buddies said they want to make one.

it looks so good in the air LW it reminds me of a P-51 from the front ill get some picturs at least next time
Old Jul 30, 2009, 07:55 PM
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by justwanttofly
i used hot glue and it worked great i also used epoxy for the motor mount of course. Also i have a maiden report it flew awesome with the wing on top and bottom i was a little nose heavy to fly inverted then i made a stupid landing nothing a little glue wont fix. it flew so well my flying buddies said they want to make one.

it looks so good in the air LW it reminds me of a P-51 from the front ill get some picturs at least next time
Great Report!!!! I sure was hopeing that it would fly as well as the one's we built. I hope to finish my new one over the weekend. I'm looking forward to the pictures.

Glad you and your friends liked it. I hope they build some as well.

I'm really happy to know that the HW/LW plan worked also.

Dalton